Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jan Duyvensz is a dispute resolution lawyer based in Amsterdam, where he heads both the disputes and the insurance teams.
He advises insurers, brokers and corporates on a wide range of matters involving financial risk (including directors' and officers' (D&O) liability and professional liability), technical damage (damage to buildings), and product liability.
Jan also has significant experience of dealing with contentious warranty and indemnity claims arising from M&A transactions in the private equity sector and beyond. He is experienced in defending companies and their insurers against various cyber-related exposures.
Jan regularly publishes commentary, lectures on contract and insurance law and sits as a deputy judge at the Court of Noord-Holland.
He received a PhD for his dissertation regarding exemption clauses.
Jan is recommended in the European The Legal 500 and Chambers for both insurance and dispute resolution.
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Orde van Advocaten: Jan Duyvensz heeft in het rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse orde van advocaten de volgende rechtsgebieden geregistreerd: Algemeen recht
- Representing insurers in a claim under a buy side warranty and indemnity insurance
- Advising clients on the protections available through buy-side and sell-side warranty and indemnity insurance
- Representing D&O insurers in a claim towards directors and officers of a Dutch financial institution
- Assistance with various (silent) recalls and product liability claims in the area of food contamination and medical products
- Representing insurers in relation to an explosion and fire in a refinery
- Representing reinsurers in a dispute in relation to hurricane damages
- Advising a corporate on risks relating to climate change litigation in the Netherlands
- Representing insurers on coverage issues and defence in respect of claims against the directors of an automotive company relating to the Diesel emission scandal
- Verjaring van asbestclaims, NTBR 1999/9, p. 292-297
- Productenaansprakelijkheid tegenover niet-consumenten, WPNR (6390) 2000, p. 117-123 en WPNR (6391) 2000, p. 135-142 (co-author J.M. Barendrecht)
- Productenaansprakelijkheid en voorgeschreven ondeugdelijk materiaal sinds het Moffenkitarrest, NTBR 2001/8, p. 402-411 (co-author C.E.C. Jansen)
- De redelijkheid van de exoneratieclausule, PhD Tilburg, Den Haag 2003 (doctoral thesis supervisors: professor J.M. Barendrecht and professor W.H. van Boom)
- Vergoedbaarheid van transactieschade op grond van onrechtmatige daad, WPNR (6855) 2010, p. 659-665
- Exoneratie en bewuste roekeloosheid, WPNR (6878) 2011, p. 225-231
- Verzekering en exoneratie, AV&S 2015/16, p. 108-113
- Opzegging, p. 73-85, in: N. van Tiggele-van der Velde & J.H. Wansink, Bespiegelingen op 10 jaar ‘nieuw’ verzekeringsrecht, Deventer 2015
- Vereniging voor Verzekeringswetenschap / the Association for Insurance Research
Publication | July 01, 2021
Publication | June 16, 2021
Publication | February 04, 2021
Webinar | May 26, 2020