Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Antitrust and competition
- Food and agribusiness
- Sanctions and export controls
- Regulation and investigations
Martin Masse provides timely and practical advice to clients on a range of federal regulatory matters. His practice focuses on competition/antitrust law, international trade law and procurement/anti-corruption matters.
He has advised clients on a variety of competition law matters, including merger controls and Investment Canada Act clearance for domestic and international mergers. Mr. Masse has represented clients in criminal cartel and bid-rigging investigations, including obtaining immunity and leniency treatment from the Bureau. He has assisted clients in retail price maintenance and abuse of dominance investigations. He has also handled competition law-related civil class action matters.
In international trade matters, Mr. Masse is recognized as a Canadian leader in the field. He has represented clients in anti-dumping and subsidy matters before the Canada Border Services Agency and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT). He regularly advises on trade treaty compliance and counsels clients regarding export controls, economic sanctions and customs.
Mr. Masse has in-depth knowledge of procurement matters. He has acted on behalf of government contractors in bid challenge disputes before the CITT, as well as provincial and municipal procurement review bodies. He provides advice to clients on bid preparation, including security clearance issues. Mr. Masse has also assisted in the development of procurement policies by governmental and private sector clients.
As part of his broader regulatory practice, Mr. Masse assists with administrative law matters, access-to-information requests, telecommunications filings, and aboriginal law matters. He regularly appears before the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal and Ontario Divisional court in judicial review applications.
- Ontario 1997
Mr. Masse has acted on the following client matters:
- Obtained Competition Bureau merger compliance approval, including compliance with supplemental information requests, for numerous proposed merger transactions in the book publishing, manufacturing, telecommunications, IT consulting and plumbing supply sectors
- Represented clients in relation to domestic and international Competition Bureau investigations relating to cartels and bid rigging in the auto parts, construction and IT consulting industries
- Acted on behalf of auto parts suppliers in multi-jurisdictional class action proceedings commenced pursuant to the Competition Act
- Handled numerous anti-dumping and subsidy cases before the CBSA and CITT in relation to steel, aluminum, agricultural and consumer products
- Successfully acted on behalf of government contractors (Rogers Communications, Veritaaq, Wipro, Supremex, Tyco Electronics, Sierra Systems, Procom, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte and Touche, Federal Force Protective Agency), in bid challenge disputes before the CITT, as well as provincial and municipal procurement review bodies
- Acted for government agencies in developing procurement policies and codes of conduct
- Acted on behalf of a multinational telecommunications provider regarding the ownership and control rules applied by Industry Canada and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission applicable to new electromagnetic spectrum licences
- Representing several parties in judicial review applications before the Federal Court of Appeal, including Prudential Steel, Wipro Canada, Toronto Port Authority, Inuvialuit Regional Corporation, Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, and Nunavut Wildlife Board
- Acting for numerous national trade associations in the biotech, aviation, manufacturing, and energy sectors on regulatory and competition law matters
- Best Lawyers in Canada: International Trade and Finance Law, 2015-2022; Public Procurement Law, 2018-2023
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: International Trade/WTO, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2024
- Chambers Global, Canada: International Trade/WTO, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016-2023: recommended in Competition Law; 2020-2023: recommended in International Trade Regulation
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Who's Who Legal: Canada – Government Contracts, Trade & Customs 2020
- "Compliance Matters: How Anti-Corruption, Anti-Trust and Regulatory Enforcement Impacts Business in Other Countries" (panel chair), ABA, Section of International Law, Fall Meeting, Montreal, October 2015.
- "Regulatory Investigations Best Practices" (program faculty), Federated Press, Mini LLB for Regulators, Ottawa, September 2014.
- "Conducting Regulatory Investigations" (program chair), Federated Press, Gatineau, QC, September 2013.
- "When is a Shareholder Liable?" (panelist), ABA, Section of International Law, Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 2013.
- "Practical Approach to Bidding and Tendering" (program faculty), Federated Press, Fourth Public Procurement Law, Federated Press, Toronto, 2012.
- "Frequently Asked Questions on International Transactions" (panelist), ABA, Section of International Law, Fall Meeting, Dublin, October 2011.
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- Co-chair, International Procurement Committee
- Vice-chair, International Antitrust Committee
- Steering Committee member, 2015 fall meeting, Montreal
- Queen’s University, Faculty of Law, sessional adjunct lecturer, “Law 683: International Trade Remedies,” 2014, 2012, 2010 and 2008
- Ontario Bar Association, co-chair, OBA Institute (Canada’s largest CLE conference), 2012 and 2013
- Canadian Bar Association, chair, Federal Courts Bench and Bar Liaison Committee, 2010-2013
- Ottawa Singers