Related services and key industries
Nikolai Mikhailov represents issuers and underwriters in a wide range of capital markets transactions, with a particular focus on Russia, CIS and Central and Eastern Europe. Nikolai has represented a number of Russian and Ukrainian banks (“Tinkoff Credit Systems” Bank, NOMOS Bank, Russian Agricultural Bank, Home Credit and Finance Bank, Ukreximbank), companies from the metals and mining sector (Magnitogosk Iron & Steel Works, Raspadskaya, Koks Group) and other entities in a range of debt capital markets transactions and equity capital markets transactions.
A US-qualified lawyer, Nikolai is fluent in English and Russian.
- 2000 – JD, Harvard Law School
- 1996 – MA, University of Rochester
- 1990 – BA, Moscow State University
- New York
- Advising TCS Group Holding, the holding company of “Tinkoff Credit Systems” Bank, one of the largest consumer finance banks in Russia, on its US$1.1 billion IPO and London GDR listing.
- Advising Gunvor, one of the leading independent commodities trading houses, on its US$500 million Eurobond offering.
- Advising Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works, the second largest steel producer in Russia, on its proposed offering of loan participation notes.
- Advising Raspadskaya, a Russian coal mining company, on its US$400 million offering of loan participation notes.
- Advising Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget on the £1.3 billion sale of its packaging business to DS Smith and the related rights issue by DS Smith.
- Advising Home Credit & Finance Bank, a large Russian consumer finance bank, on the update of its loan participation notes programme.
- Advising Koks Group, a Russian mining and metallurgical group, on its US$350 million offering of loan participation notes and its proposed IPO and London GDR listing.
- Advising NOMOS Bank, one of the largest private banks in Russia, on its US$782 million IPO and London GDR listing and on its US$350 million offering of loan participation notes.
- Advising various underwriters on several issuances of notes registered in the United States under registration statements on Schedule B and listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange by the Republic of Turkey.
- Advising Ukreximbank, the largest state-owned bank in Ukraine, on its US$500 million offering of loan participation notes.
- Advising Deutsche Bank and J.P. Morgan Cazenove as sponsors on the London premium listing of Phoenix Group Holdings, a holding company for the UK’s largest operator of closed life insurance funds.
- Advising Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, J.P. Morgan Cazenove and other underwriters on the proposed IPO of New Look Group plc, a UK clothing and footwear retailer.
- Advising Brixton plc, a UK real estate investment trust, on its proposed placing and open offer and, at a later stage, on the acquisition of Brixton by Segro and the related £241 million placing and open offer by Segro.
- Advising Morgan Stanley and VTB Capital on the US$369 million offering of shares and London-listed GDRs by Magnit, the largest grocery retail chain in Russia.
- Advising Russian Agricultural Bank, the fourth largest bank in Russia, on the 2009 update of its US$7 billion loan participation notes programme and the establishment of its Rule144A/Regulation S programme for the issuance of loan participation notes in 2006.
- Advising Magnit on its US$487 million offering of shares and London-listed GDRs.
- Advising BNP Paribas, as dealer manager, on the cash tender offer by CMA CGM, a French shipping company, for its outstanding high-yield bonds.
- Advising UBS, UniCredit and other underwriters on the PLN 839 million (US$386 million) IPO of Cyfrowy Polsat, the largest provider of satellite television broadcasting services in Poland (including a Polish public offering and a Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering).
- Advising UBS and other underwriters on the PLN 804 million (US$265 million) IPO of Multimedia Polska, a Polish media and telecommunications company (including a Polish public offering and a Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering).
- Advising UBS on the US$500 million offering of guaranteed notes by PrivatBank, the largest bank in Ukraine.
- Advising ING and Troika Dialog on the IPO and London GDR listing of KazakhGold, a gold mining company from Kazakhstan.
Publication | April 2018
Publication | August 2017