John W. Weber, Jr.
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
John W. Weber, Jr.vCard
Related services and key industries
John Weber joined the San Antonio office as a partner in 1994. He formerly served as head of the Litigation Section of the San Antonio office. His practice has focused on tort litigation, with an emphasis on product liability defense and personal injury defense. His practice also currently includes commercial litigation, contract and construction litigation and oil and gas, and energy litigation. He has also practiced in the area of intentional torts, premises liability, pharmaceutical and medical device liability and health care liability.
John has defended manufacturers of tires, medium and heavy trucks, construction equipment, farming equipment, including tractors and farm implements, herbicides, material handling equipment, such as forklifts, conveyors and aerial work platforms, elevators and escalators, various types of electrical equipment and electronic components, LP and natural gas valves, pharmaceutical products, medical and surgical devices and building materials. He has represented both owners and contractors in construction disputes. He has represented premises owners in premise liability cases. He has defended nursing homes in nursing home liability cases, manufacturers of pharmaceutical products, as well as pharmacists, and companies and individuals involved in commercial and business-related disputes. John has been involved in the litigation of cases in counties throughout the State of Texas and in all but one county south of San Antonio.
JD, Baylor University School of Law, 1973
BBA, Baylor University, 1973
John was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1973. He is also admitted to practice law in the Fifth Circuit Court of the United States Court of Appeals, as well as the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas for the U. S. District Court.
- Texas State Bar
- Defended Oil Field Service contractors on drilling and pipeline litigation over alleged deficiencies in the work performed or incidences occurring on the projects resulting in personal injury and/or economic losses.
- Have defended a two major manufacturers of Class 6,7 and 8 Trucks in Product liability Litigation over various alleged defects and the alleged resulting damages.
- Defense of a corporate manufacturer and the company's CEO in a breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference brought by a former CEO of the company
- As part of a large multi-party litigation, defense of a major manufacturer of HVAC systems in class actions brought by private claimants and by the Attorney General of the State of Texas against manufacturers and retailers of HVAC systems in the State of Texas; successfully concluded the litigation without any indemnity payment by the represented manufacturer
- Defense of a group of defendants in a multi-party lawsuit filed in Federal Court on theories of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, violation of the Texas Theft Liability Act, conversion, unjust enrichment, conspiracy and false designation of origin under 15 U.S.C. Sec. 1125a involving an alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and other proprietary data
- Defense of a class action against a building contractor by a putative class of subcontractors concerning a dispute related to the procurement of worker's compensation and general commercial liability insurance
- Defense of the general contractor who constructed the Amigo Department Store which collapsed in the summer of 1987 in Brownsville, Texas, resulting in multiple lawsuits being filed by the survivors of individuals killed, as well as individuals who were injured and survived the event; successfully concluded the more than 40 different suits that were filed within the minimal insurance coverage that was available to the represented contractor
- Representation of a peripheral party who, through his representation, ended up not being sued by the numerous plaintiffs in the multiple lawsuits filed over the Alton school bus accident which occurred in the late 1980s in South Texas, resulting in numerous deaths and injuries to occupants of the bus
- Representation of the owner in various contract disputes between the owner and contractors in construction projects, including commercial buildings, a refinery construction project and the construction of process equipment ancillary to client's facilities
- In the construction-related arena, defense of numerous owners and contractors in personal injury litigation related to the construction of projects and facilities
- Significant representation of various trucking firms who have been sued as a result of highway accidents involving freight hauling operations
- In past years, extensive amount of work for retailers in the area of premises liability, false arrest, and malicious prosecution, as well as libel and slander
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Product Liability & Mass Tort Defense: The Legal 500, 2007
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 - 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 1993 - 2020
- Lawyer of the Year, San Antonio: Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, Best Lawyers, 2017
- Lawyer of the Year, San Antonio: Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Best Lawyers, 2016
- Lawyer of the Year, San Antonio: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2014
- Lawyer of the Year, Texas: Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, Best Lawyers, 2012
- Lawdragon 500, Lawdragon, 2007
- Lawdragon 3000, Lawdragon, 2006, 2010
- Texas Super Lawyer, Civil Litigation: Defense, Thomson Reuters, 2004 - 2019
- Texas Super Lawyer, personal injury - product liability, Thomson Reuters, 2003
- Texas Super Lawyer, top 100 Texas, Thomson Reuters, 2011
- Texas Super Lawyer, top 50 attorneys in Central and West Texas, Thomson Reuters, 2006 – 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, corporate counsel, Thomson Reuters, 2008 - 2010
- Best S.A. Lawyers, business litigation, S.A. Scene, Scene Publications, LLC, 2011
- Best S.A. Lawyers, civil litigation defense, S.A. Scene, Scene Publications, LLC, 2008 - 2011
- Best S.A. Lawyers, pi insurance defense: product liability, S.A. Scene, Scene Publications, LLC, 2008 - 2010
- Best S.A. Lawyers, construction law, S.A. Scene, Scene Publications, LLC, 2008
- Who's Who in Energy, San Antonio Business Journal, 2012 - 2013
- Outstanding Lawyer, litigation, San Antonio Business Journal, 2013
- America's Most Honored Professionals - Top 1% of American Professionals, The American Registry, 2014
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), Fellow, Member ACTL Texas State Committee (2011 - 2012)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- San Antonio Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Inc. (TADC), San Antonio Vice President (2011 - 2012)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- Trial Attorneys of America (TAA)
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM)
- A.A. White Dispute Resolution Institute Mediator Training course, certified mediator
- The South Texas Children's Home Ministries, Beeville, Texas, Chairman of the Board (1985 - Present). John has served on the Board of The South Texas Children's Home, now known as South Texas Children's Home Ministries, since 1985. He is currently in the eighth year of his third nine-year term on the Board and has served as Board Chair for over 20 years. The South Texas Children's Home is located in rural Bee County, approximately ten miles north of Beeville, Texas. It is an agency of the Baptist General Convention of Texas.
- The Children's Shelter of San Antonio, former Board Member (1982 - 1991). John served as a member of the Board of Directors from 1982 to 1991, serving on various committees during his nine-year tenure. Prior to serving on the Board, John handled numerous pro bono legal matters for The Children's Shelter concerning termination of parental rights and adoption.
- The Ecumenical Center for Religion and Health, San Antonio, Texas, Board of Directors. John currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the counseling center.