Sheldon G. Nussbaum
Head of Business Practice, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Sheldon G. NussbaumvCard
Related services and key industries
Sheldon Nussbaum is Head of the Business Practice for the United States. Our Business Practice consists of seven fully-integrated teams in Corporate, M&A and Securities; Corporate Finance; Healthcare; Project Finance; Public Finance; Real Estate; and Tax.
As a practicing lawyer, Sheldon has 40 years of experience representing public and private corporations, venture capital and private equity funds, non-profit institutions and large family-owned businesses in their transactional and everyday legal needs, including extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, public and private financing activities, and corporate governance matters. For many of these clients and their CEOs and other C-suite personnel, Sheldon serves in the capacity as a "trusted advisor". Sheldon regularly advises public company boards and various of their standing and special committees, on M&A, governance and other corporate, securities and finance matters, as well as on compliance issues raised by the Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank Acts. Some of Sheldon's key clients are in the technology, pharmaceutical, consumer brand products and apparel, and oil and gas industries.
With a reputation of being a "business lawyer", Sheldon utilizes a practical, business-driven approach, combined with technical expertise, in advising clients and negotiating transactions.
Mr. Nussbaum was a Harold W. Harper Memorial Scholar to Columbia College, where he graduated in 1979 with highest honors, and a graduate of Harvard Law School, where he was a member of the International Law Journal. He was admitted to practice law in New York in 1983.
- New York State Bar
Sheldon's representative engagements include:
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- A private, family-owned laboratory and testing business in its sale to a private equity firm, and continuing rollover interest by one of the family members
- A provider of technology-enabled asset protection solutions to optimize energy, industrial and public infrastructure in multiple strategic acquisitions of service companies
- Global acquisition (involving 40+ countries) of a recognized line of consumer brand products by a U.K.-based consumer products aggregator from a U.S.-based Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company
- Sale of a publicly traded technology company through a competitive auction process
- Sale of a privately-owned multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical drug distribution company
- Multiple acquisitions of envelope and paper product-related companies for world leading envelope manufacturer; and related acquisition financing
- Purchase of the remaining 50% interest in a global apparel manufacturer; and related acquisition financing
- Sale of a venture-backed internet search technology company to Fortune 10 company
- A public company in the spinoff and subsequent sale of certain of its life-sciences business operations
- A private equity fund in its investment in luxury apparel and accessories company
- Sale of billion dollar transit oriented business of a not-for-profit corporation, including obtaining requisite Court and New York State Attorney General approval
- A public company in its proposed cross-border purchase of aerospace and defense business from Fortune 100 company
- Purchase of exclusive global rights to manufacture and sell world recognized branded apparel
- Sale and private equity investment in a chain of party goods stores
- A publicly traded pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a company engaged in the formulation and commercialization of specialty and controlled-release oral pharmaceuticals
- Special committees in connection with contemplated purchases of businesses by public companies
- Purchase of children's apparel division from Fortune 500 company
Securities and investments and financing:
- Initial public offering and follow-on offerings of global provider of technology-enabled asset protection solutions used to evaluate structural integrity of energy, industrial and public infrastructure
- Public tender offer of manufacturer and marketer of consumer products, primarily laundry and household detergents
- Representation of medical device manufacturer in numerous venture capital financing rounds
- Representation of software and technology company in a cash tender offer for its outstanding securities
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in private placement funding of drug development and approval process
- Representation of a medical-based venture capital fund in connection with multiple investments
- Initial public offering and follow-on offerings of consumer products company
- Representation of a public company in the spinoff of certain of its life-sciences business operations
- Representation of manufacturer of skin care products in numerous venture capital financing rounds
- Multiple US and foreign financing and credit arrangements for various public and private companies
- Representation of public and private companies in sophisticated contracts and joint ventures
- Representation of several public company Boards of Directors and Special Committees in connection with their review of "strategic alternatives"
- Advising Boards of Directors and Special Committees in responding to hostile overtures
- Representation of several public company Board Committees in connection with audit, compensation and/or governance issues
- Advising various family-owned businesses in company specific governance and shareholder matters, including control and transition planning
- Legal 500 US, Recommended lawyer, M&A: Middle-Market ($500m-999m), The Legal 500, 2015, 2018 - 2019, 2023
- New York's Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
- IFLR1000 – United States, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2018 - 2021
Mr. Nussbaum is a member of the New York State and American Bar Associations. He is a frequent speaker on public and private financing, corporate governance, and M&A topics.
He is also active in several eleemosynary organizations, including serving as an executive officer and member of the Board of the Directors of the Epilepsy Society of New York City, Inc., from 1984 to 1995, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation from 2004 to 2011.