Melanie B. Rother
Co-Head of Energy, Infrastructure, and Environmental, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Melanie Rother is a versatile energy lawyer and law firm leader based in Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office. In addition to her robust trial practice, she is the global law firm's Co-Head of Energy and Infrastructure in the US, responsible for overseeing a team of lawyers that is part of one of the largest and most dynamic energy practices in the world.
Her more than 15-year national disputes resolution and litigation practice focuses primarily on complex business disputes in the energy and technology and innovation sectors. As lead counsel, Melanie advises a wide range of businesses, including exploration and production companies, midstream companies, chemical companies and oilfield product and service companies.
Melanie regularly advises clients and leads commercial and contract disputes arising from purchase and sale agreements, non-disclosure agreements, joint venture and development agreements, construction agreements, Area of Mutual Interest (AMI) agreements, and other such matters. Additionally, she frequently prosecutes and defends disputes involving false advertising, unfair competition, trade secret misappropriation, personal injury claims, trademark/trade dress, and copyright infringement.
Her vast experience includes representing clients as plaintiff and defendant in disputes before state and federal courts across the country and before arbitration panels. She also represents clients in international and cross-border disputes. She has been first chair in multiple trials, arbitrations, and evidentiary hearings, including recent success litigating a Lanham Act case to jury verdict and arguing appeals to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Previously, Melanie was a tax manager with KPMG and General Electric Company in the area of state and local tax. While in law school, Melanie was a member of the South Texas Law Review and Phi Delta Phi. Licensed to practice in Texas, Melanie is also admitted before the US Supreme Court, the Fifth Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
JD, summa cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 2003
MA, Land Economics and Real Estate, Texas A&M University, 1992
BS, Economics, Texas A&M University, 1991
- Texas State Bar
- Represented a global geoscientific company in a cross-border copyright dispute; obtained dismissal of all claims in the District Court; affirmed in the Fifth Circuit; US Supreme Court denied review
- Represented a global chemical company in contract dispute arising from the construction of a significant chemical complex; obtained favorable result
- Represented a midstream company in contract dispute arising from a gas gathering and development agreement; obtained favorable result
- Represented a global energy company in a contract dispute related to the storage of natural gas within a subsurface facility; obtained favorable result
- Represented a global oilfield service company in a commercial dispute arising from a well-failure; obtained favorable settlement
- Represented a global oilfield service company in personal injury dispute arising from an incident at a wellsite; obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice
- Represented a global E&P company in a dispute related to a purchase and sale agreement for oil and gas leases in the Utica Shale; obtained favorable settlement
- Represented a global beverage company bringing claims under the Lanham Act for trade dress infringement; obtained favorable jury verdict
- Represented a global medical device company in multi-jurisdictional product liability claims alleging defect in design of radiation-emitting computed tomography device; obtained favorable settlement
- Represented a global medical device company in a successful commercial arbitration hearing; obtained favorable award
- Represented a global medical device company in a fraud dispute in a successful arbitration hearing of the dispute; obtained a favorable settlement including the dismissal of all claims against the client
- Represented an employer and insurance carrier in a claim by an employee under the Longshore and Harbors Workers Compensation Act in a successful trial; obtained a verdict and judgment denying plaintiff's claims
- Represented an employer and insurance carrier in a claim by an employee under the Longshore and Harbors Workers Compensation Act in a successful trial; obtained favorable settlement for the client
- Represented a marketing company in breach of contract dispute; obtained favorable settlement for the client
- Represented a global chemical company as the plaintiff in a breach of contract dispute; obtained favorable settlement for the client
- Represented a global banking institution where plaintiffs alleged breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and conspiracy; obtained dismissal for the client
- Obtained temporary restraining orders and temporary injunctions on behalf of a global building solutions company arising from corporate embezzlement schemes
- Represented a construction commercial real estate lender in a claim for tortious interference with an existing contract; obtained dismissal for the client.
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Energy litigation: oil and gas, The Legal 500, 2020
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2010 - 2013
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section, In re EchoStar subcommittee (2006 - 2007)
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- The Society for the Performing Arts
- Vice President, Marketing (2014- present)
- Board of Directors (2009 - present)
- Executive Committee (2014 - present)
- Artistic Advisory Committee Member (2009 - present)
- Marketing Committee Member (2012 - present)
- United Way
- Women's Initiative (2007, 2009)
- Emerging Leaders (2007, 2009)
- Houston Volunteers Lawyers' Program - pro bono assistance