Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Joey Piorkowski is a senior associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's Dallas office, which he joined in 2015. He has represented clients in a broad range of cases, including complex commercial disputes, securities litigation, products liability cases, and employment discrimination cases.
Joey has successfully litigated and tried cases in state and federal court and in arbitration proceedings around the country. Most recently, he defended a mortgage company in a two-week trial in federal court, involving claims for breach of contract and conspiracy to breach fiduciary duties. The company obtained a complete defense verdict on all of plaintiff's claims; and the jury awarded defendants $500,000 in actual damages for their counterclaim and $4.5 million in exemplary damages.
Joey has also successfully tried 6 criminal trials in Rockwall, Texas, where he served as a special prosecutor for the City of Rockwall through Norton Rose Fulbright's lawyer-on-loan program.
Joey has an active pro bono practice in which he has successfully represented clients in landlord-tenant, property, and contract disputes, as well as adoption proceedings. Most recently, Joey tried a case in small claims court in Dallas, Texas, in which he represented a tenant in a breach of contract case against her landlord. The judge awarded the tenant the entire amount of her requested damages. Joey also frequently volunteers with the Veteran's legal clinic.
JD, The University of Texas School of Law, 2015
BS, magna cum laude, Finance, Clemson University, 2008
- District of Columbia Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Obtained complete defense verdict for mortgage company in two-week trial in federal court in the Northern District of Texas, involving claims for breach of contract and conspiracy to breach fiduciary duties.
- Obtained complete defense award for countertop manufacturer in arbitration proceeding in Austin, Texas, involving claim for breach of contract brought by minority shareholder.
- Defended telecommunications companies in qui tam actions around the country, involving claims for negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, and violations of the False Claims Act.
- Won motion to dismiss in federal court on behalf of medical device manufacturer in class action involving claims for breach of warranty and violations of the Florida Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Managed discovery (including working closely with clients to respond to and propound written discovery requests, as well as take and defend depositions) in a wide range of cases including complex commercial disputes and products liability cases.
- Defended real estate company in breach of contract claim brought by third-party contractor and secured full indemnification for all litigation costs and defense.
- Defended manufacturer of high-tech polymer materials in products liability action; case resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended global accounting group in class action involving claims for securities fraud; case resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended healthcare company in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty dispute brought by minority shareholder; case resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended ambulatory care company in breach of contract dispute related to plaintiff's employment contract; case resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended property management company in housing discrimination action; case resulted in favorable settlement for the client.
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2021 - 2023
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Best Lawyers, 2021 - 2023