Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Susana Medeiros is an associate and a member of the Information Governance, Privacy, and Cybersecurity team. She is a Chambers ranked attorney recognized as an Associate to Watch for her experience in eDiscovery and Information Governance.
Susana has extensive experience advising on complex eDiscovery issues including defensible collection of electronically stored information and conducting spoliation investigations. She formulates creative strategies for the defensible and efficient preservation, identification, collection, review, and production of electronically stored information in response to requests in civil investigations and litigation. She focuses not only on tactical eDiscovery issues in particular cases, but advises clients regarding strategic e-discovery portfolio management, and data governance. Susana has advised clients on how to best manage electronic discovery and preservation, and helped clients develop litigation readiness protocols for use across their matters.
As part of her information governance practice, Susana helps clients mature their information governance program by developing internal information management, preservation, and data classification policies and procedures and record retention schedules. This includes providing advice on data migrations, defensible disposition, mobile device management, ephemeral data, and disaster recovery and business continuity systems.
Cybersecurity and Privacy
Susana has represented clients both preparing for and responding to cyber incidents. Leveraging her traditional eDiscovery experience, Susana also assists clients with efficiently and defensibly responding to cyber incidents to quickly identify data subjects impacted and the types of personal information impacted, and advise clients about the scope of the incident and the company's obligations to notify the appropriate authorities and the people affected by the breach. She also assists with providing advice around CCPA, CPRA, and GDPR compliance from an information governance and data minimization perspective.
JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2017
BA, cum laude, Political Science, Swarthmore College, 2014
While in law school, Susana was an editor for the Journal of Constitutional Law and a member of the Latin American Law Students Association. She also received the Thomas N. O'Neill Prize, which recognizes a graduating student for outstanding involvement, competence and commitment to the provision of legal services to disadvantaged clients.
- New York State Bar
- Chambers Global, USA, Litigation: eDiscovery and Information Governance, Chambers and Partners, 2023
- Chambers USA, Nationwide, eDiscovery and Information Governance: Associates to Watch, Chambers and Partners, 2021-2023
- The Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, E-Discovery, The Legal 500, 2023
- Co-author, "Minimizing cyber risk through effective governance," CIO Applications, December 6, 2022
- Co-author, "Businesses brace for increased cybersecurity litigation," Security Info Watch, June 6, 2022
- Co-author, "IP and cybersecurity disputes are top legal concerns for tech companies," TechCrunch, May 24, 2022
- Co-author, ""It's A High Risk for Us:" Healthcare Companies Report Cybersecurity As a Top Litigation Concern," Healthcare Business Today, April 28, 2022
- Contributor, "Commercial division update: The High Standard for Mandatory Preliminary Injunctions," New York Law Journal, October 17, 2019
- Co-author with David Kessler, "The Obligation to Secure Your Opponent's Data in the Age of Hacking," New York Law Journal, May 31, 2019
- Co-author, "Look before you leap: Considering the Legal Implications of Collaborative Technology," CIOApplications, September 27, 2018
- Co-author, "A Guide to Remedying Document Discovery Mishaps," American Bar Association - Litigation Section, June 1, 2018
- Co-author, "'I Have No Strings...' Key Legal Issues Relating to Wireless Charging Technology," The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence & Law, September-October, 2018
Panelist, Strategic governance of technology, data and information, ABA Cross-Border Institute, Amsterdam, July 22, 2022
Panelist, Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Journey, Women in eDiscovery (WiE), San Diego, May 2, 2022
Panelist, Avoiding Risky Business From Information Governance to Data Breach Exposure Mitigation, Infogov World Expo, September 16, 2021
Publication | May 31, 2022
Publication | April 18, 2022
Publication | February 10, 2022