Deanne M. Barrow
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Deanne Barrow is a transactional lawyer focusing on project development, financing and M&A transactions for energy and infrastructure projects, with a special focus on solar energy, wind energy and energy storage.
She has considerable experience with the development, financing, acquisition and sale of battery storage projects, including stand-alone, hybrid, front-of-meter and behind-the-meter projects in CAISO, ERCOT, PJM and other regions. Her clients include emerging and high-growth companies as well as large corporate sponsors, developers, lenders and investors.
Deanne is the US editor of our law firm's quarterly Energy Storage Updater.
- LL.M, with highest honors, Energy and Environmental Law, Thomas Burgenthal Scholarship, George Washington University Law School, 2011
- BA, with honors, Law, University of Cambridge, 2007
- BS, with highest honors, Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented the A$170 billion (US$114 billion) AustralianSuper pension fund in connection with, alongside other investors, an aggregate US$1.5 billion equity raise by Generate Capital to fund deployment of behind-the-meter battery storage projects and other distributed sustainable infrastructure.
- Represented a consortium of lenders in connection with the US$2.3 billion financing of the CCGT/ standalone battery storage Southland project in southern California sponsored by The AES Corporation. The transaction was named "North American Power Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International.
- Represented Société Générale and Silicon Valley Bank in connection with the US$40.6 million term loan financing of the Lawa'i solar and battery storage project in Kauai, Hawaii. The transaction was named "North America Battery Storage Deal of the Year" by IJ Global.
- Represented SUSI Partners on its acquisition of a 340MWh portfolio of C&I battery storage systems in southern California from Macquarie Capital's Green Investment Group.
- Represented a tax equity investor on a master partnership flip facility to finance a large portfolio of residential solar installations including batteries.
- Represented Innolith Science and Technology GmbH on drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements for the development and commercialization of a novel battery technology.
- Advised a leading South Korean OEM on warranties for its debut residential energy storage product in the US.
- Represented Dividend Finance, LLC in connection with a US$105 million warehouse aggregation facility and subsequent securitization of residential solar loans. The transaction was named "Esoteric Asset-Backed Securities Deal of the Year" by GlobalCapital.
- Represented I Squared Capital on the purchase of Duke Energy's Latin American businesses in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina for a US$1.2 billion enterprise value.
- Represented an energy infrastructure asset management firm in a tax equity financing and construction debt financing for six community solar projects in New York opposite US Bank and Seminole Financial.
- Represented the lenders on an acquisition financing for the purchase of a 100-MW portfolio of residential solar PV projects associated with Capital Dynamics' acquisition of 8point3 Energy Partners.
- Represented a leading solar developer in connection with a rare leveraged overlapping inverted lease financing of a utility-scale solar farm in North Carolina.
- Represented SunPower Corporation in connection with a partnership flip tax equity financing for a portfolio of residential solar projects.
- Represented NRG Renew LLC on a tax equity partnership flip for a portfolio of commercial and industrial solar projects.
- Represented Clearway Energy on the US$381 million repowering of the 161 MW Wildorado wind project and 121.9 MW Elbow Creek wind project in Texas. The transaction was named "North America Wind Deal of the Year" by IJ Global.
- Represented Clearway Energy Group in connection with a debt and partnership flip tax equity financing for the construction of the 419-MW Mesquite Star wind project in Texas.
- Represented Google Inc. on an investment in the 310-MW Lake Turkana Wind Power Project in Kenya, which has a US$853 million syndicated financing package representing the single largest private investment in Kenya's history.
- Represented Falvez Energy on a $129 million construction loan and tax equity commitment for the 163 MW Astra wind project.
- Represented UBS Asset Management on the acquisition of a portfolio of three wind repowering projects.
FUEL CELLS AND RENEWABLE NATURAL GAS
- Represented the lenders on a construction loan facility to Fuel Cell Energy, Inc. for a fuel cell project at a US Navy base.
- Represented PNC Energy Capital in connection with a sale-leaseback tax equity financing for the development of fuel cell power plants.
- Representing Brightmark Energy on development of anaerobic digester renewable natural gas facilities.
GAS AND LNG
- Represented a syndicate of commercial bank lenders in connection with the US$4.025 billion financing of Train Two of the US$12.5 billion Freeport LNG liquefaction and export project in Texas. The transaction was named "Americas Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International.
- Represented International Finance Corporation (IFC), Central American Bank For Economic Integration, Bancolombia, Banco General and Global Bank on the financing of the US$1 billion Colón LNG-to-power project in Panama, sponsored by The AES Corporation and Inversiones Bahía.
- Represented Investec as lead arranger on the US$225 million refinancing of Primary Energy Recycling Corp., a portfolio of behind-the-fence generation assets sponsored by Fortistar.
- Represented the initial purchasers in connection with the Rule 144A/Regulation S issuance of US$1.25 billion of senior secured notes by FLNG Liquefaction 2, LLC.
- U.S. Editor, Energy Storage Updater
- "Financing Solar-Plus-Storage Projects", Petroleum Economist, August 2020
- "Financing Storage," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2020
- "Financing EV Charging Infrastructure," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2019
- "Financing Distributed Batteries and Electric Vehicle Charging Stations," Project Finance NewsWire, October 2019
- "Energy Storage: Warranties, Insurance and O&M Issues", Project Finance NewsWire, June 2019
- "New Bills Aim to Regulate and Promote Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies", Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow, December 2018
- "California CCA Outlook," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2018
- "Renewables 2018 Global Status Report," Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (contributing author)
- "CCAs and Risk Management," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2018
- "Community Choice Aggregators and Community Solar," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- "How Electric Vehicles are Transforming the Power Sector," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- "The Engine that Drives Storage: Software," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- Webinar: Energy Storage - Drivers and Pitfalls, March 2018
- "Energy Storage in Latin America and the Caribbean," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2018
- "Taking on Storage, Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, January 2018"
- ERCOT: Shrinking Reserve Margin," Projects & Money 2018 (moderator), New Orleans, January 2018
- "Financing Projects with CCA Contracts," Community Choice Energy Summit (moderator), Santa Clara, CA, November 2017
- Webinar: The Effects of Community Choice Aggregation on the California Power Market, October, 2017
- "Southland Charges Up Battery Storage Financings," Project Finance News (Blog), September 2017
- "Southland: A Milestone in Financing Energy Storage," Energy Storage Updater, Sixth Edition, September 2017
- "Financing Energy Storage Projects: Assessing Risks: Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, July 2017
- "Financing Projects with Community Choice Aggregators," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2017
- "Huge Potential New Demand for Power, says Chadbourne staff," Windpower Engineering & Development, October 2016
- "Huge Potential New Demand For Power: Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, November 2016
- "Another Potential Offtaker: Community Choice Aggregators," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2016
- "Massachusetts Law Authorizes Energy Storage Mandate," Project Finance News (Blog), August 2016
- "Claims in a U.S. Patent application directed to an idea or concept," KQH Blog, July 2014
- "Senate to Consider Geothermal Leasing Measure," Project Finance News (Blog), July 2013
- "Peru to Start New Solar Program," Project Finance News (Blog), July 2013
- "European Union Imposes Anti-dumping Duties on Chinese Solar Imports," Project Finance News (Blog), June 2013
- Strafford CLE Webinar: Financing Energy Storage - Deal Structures, Revenue Streams, Issues for Stand-Alone and Co-Located Storage, September 2020
- Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy, Market Trends Update, November 2019
- Storage Week Plus, Executive Briefing, San Francisco, July 2019
- Energy Storage: Lessons Learned from US and International Markets, AE2C and The World Bank, Washington DC, April 2019
- Storage Week, San Francisco, February 2019
- Community Choice Energy Summit, San Francisco, November 2018
- AWEA Wind Energy Finance & Investment Conference, San Francisco, October 2018
- Energy Storage: Delivering the Potential, International Project Finance Association Webinar, June 2018
- Community Choice Aggregation Summit, La Jolla, April 2018
- Energy Storage Drivers and Pitfalls, Currents Podcast Episode 25, April 2018
- Storage Week, San Francisco, March 2018
- Projects & Money, New Orleans, January 2018
- Community Choice Aggregation Summit, Santa Clara, November 2017
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Registration (Patent Bar), 2013
- Research Fellow, Environmental and Social Safeguards Unit, Inter-American Development Bank, 2010–2013