J. Patrick Narvaez
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
J. Patrick NarvaezvCard
Related services and key industries
Patrick Narvaez’s practice focuses on representing domestic and international clients in connection with a broad range of business transactions and corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity transactions, public securities offerings and private placements of securities, corporate governance and regulatory and compliance matters under the US securities laws. In addition, Mr. Narvaez has experience with fund formation and general fund compliance matters.
JD, Rutgers Law Review, Rutgers University School of Law, 2007
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented Globalvia in its approximately US$600 million acquisition of the concession for the Pocahontas Parkway toll road in Virginia.
- Represented FLS Energy, a full service solar energy provider that owns and operates a portfolio of solar energy assets throughout the U.S., in the sale of all of its equity interests.
- Represented The Carlyle Group and Cogentrix Energy Power Management in the sale to a subsidiary of Korea Electric Power Corporation of all of the equity interests in Cogentrix of Alamosa, a 30 MW utility-scale high-concentration solar photovoltaic solar facility located in Colorado.
- Represented Macquarie Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of the Lordstown Energy Center, a 940 MW combined-cycle gas turbine electric generation facility in Ohio.
- Represented Real Infrastructure Capital Partners in its acquisition of the Acajutla project, a 20 MW photovoltaic solar project in El Salvador.
- Represented Iberdrola Energia, S.A., TPS de Ultramar Ltd., a subsidiary of TECO Energy, Inc., and EDP – Energias de Portugal, S.A. in their US$605 million sale of a Guatemalan electric distribution company.
- Represented GLG Partners, Inc. in its merger with and acquisition by London Stock Exchange-listed Man Group plc.
- Represented ORBCOMM Inc. in:
- the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Par Logistics Management Systems Corporation, a subsidiary of PAR Technology Corporation;
- the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of StarTrak Systems, LLC, a subsidiary of Alanco Technologies, Inc.; and
- the sale of substantially all of the assets of its subsidiary, Stellar Satellite Communications Ltd.
- Represented Southern Cross Group in the structure and formation of Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund V, L.P., a US$680 million private equity fund, Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund IV, L.P., a US$1.68 billion private equity fund, and Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund III, L.P., a US$750 million private equity fund, all organized in Canada and targeting investments in Latin America.
- Represented Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund IV, L.P. in:
- the acquisition of Petrobras Chile Distribución Ltda., a fuel distribution company in Chile, from Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras);
- its joint investment with Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund III, L.P. of US$220 million in Ultrapetrol (Bahamas) Limited, a Nasdaq-listed industrial transportation company serving marine transportation needs in river, offshore supply and ocean markets; and
- its CAD$25 million investment for a 55.7% ownership interest in Estrella International Energy Services Ltd., a TSXV-listed group of companies engaged in providing services to the petroleum, mining and geothermal industries in Latin America.
- Represented Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund III, L.P. in:
- the acquisition of a controlling interest in a leading homebuilding company in Mexico, through a joint venture with several co-investors that formed part of the purchasing group; and
- the acquisition of a controlling interest in the second largest developer, manufacturer and distributor of dental implants in Brazil.
- Represented Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund II, L.P. in:
- the sale of HotelDo, the leading online hotel reservation platform in Latin America; and
- the sale of MMCinemas, the second largest movie theatre chain in Mexico, to Grupo Mexico, a leading industrial group in Latin America.
- Represented Atlantic Power Limited Partnership, a subsidiary of Atlantic Power Corporation, in the liabilities management aspects of a transaction that included the prepayment of different outstanding series of debt securities (which also required a consent solicitation) and the termination of an existing senior secured revolving credit facility at the parent entity level.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the issuance and sale by Ruby Pipeline, LLC of US$1.075 billion aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes.
- Represented Transmission Developers Inc. (TDI) in the venture capital investment in TDI by The Blackstone Group L.P. for the purpose of developing certain of TDI's renewable power assets relating to transmission projects in the United States.
- Advised several public companies on their periodic Exchange Act reporting obligations, proxy statements and registration statements filed under the US securities laws and corporate governance and regulatory and compliance matters under the US securities laws.
- "Lost Profit Waivers: Beware of Unintended Consequences," Corporate Practice NewsWire, May 2014
- "US District Court Vacates SEC’s Resource Extraction Payment Disclosure Rule," Client Alert, July 5, 2013
- "Delaware Court of Chancery Upholds Forum Selection Bylaws," Client Alert, June 27, 2013
- "Continuing Challenges to Exclusive Forum Bylaw Provisions," Deal Lawyers, September 2012
- "SEC Amendments to Facilitate Shareholder Director Nominations Effective," Client Alert, September 20, 2011
- "SEC Revises Short-Form Registration Eligibility for Non-Convertible Debt Offerings," Client Alert, August 1, 2011
- "SEC Adopts Whistleblower Rules," Client Alert, June 2, 2011
- "SEC Proposes Amendments to Revise Short-Form Registration Eligibility for Non-Convertible Debt Offerings," Client Alert, February 16, 2011
- "Delayed Effectiveness of FASB Proposal on Disclosure of Certain Loss Contingencies," Client Alert, November 1, 2010
- "SEC Adopts Rule Amendments Facilitating Shareholder Proxy Access to Nominate Directors," Client Alert, September 8, 2010
- "FASB Proposal on Disclosure of Certain Loss Contingencies," Client Alert, August 23, 2010
- "RiskMetrics 2010 U.S. Corporate Governance Policy Updates," Client Alert, December 2009
- "SEC Proposes Say-on-Pay Rules for TARP Recipients; Treasury Proposes Broader Legislation," July 21, 2009
- "SEC Proposes Rule Amendments Facilitating Shareholder Proxy Access to Nominate Directors," July 6, 2009
- "SEC Proposes Rule Amendments Facilitating Shareholder Proxy Access," May 27, 2009
- "Nasdaq Joins NYSE and AMEX in Allowing Listing of Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs)," Client Alert, August 20, 2008
- "Year 2008 Retirement Plan Cost-of-Living Adjustments," Client Alert, October 18, 2007