Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Class actions
- Consumer markets
- Litigation and disputes
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Product liability
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- Food and agribusiness
Key industry sectors
Donald Strauber has more than 50 years of experience in complex commercial litigation and heads up matters in courts throughout the United States. He has worked primarily in three areas: health-related litigation, federal securities litigation and large commercial disputes. He is in charge of Jim Beam’s defense of alcohol-health cases and litigation relating to the marketing of beverage alcohol. He was co-national counsel for the Purdue defendants in the OxyContin® litigation and advises Purdue on matters relating to OxyContin.
LL.B, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1960
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1957
- New York State Bar
- Representing The Purdue companies in the defense of the OxyContin® litigation.
- Represented Jim Beam in connection with Thorp v. Beam relating to the issue of whether a distiller is responsible for a child's alleged "fetal alcohol syndrome." The successful defense of this case before a jury in Seattle resulted in the voluntary dismissal of similar cases around the country and put an end to the feared onslaught of litigation on that issue.
- Represented Jim Beam in purported class actions throughout the United States dealing with the labeling of products as "All Natural."
- Represented Rockwell Automation, Inc. (formerly Rockwell International Corporation) in connection with Broad v. Rockwell, a securities class action on behalf of holders of Collins convertible debentures, arising out of the Rockwell-Collins merger, which was successfully tried to a jury in Dallas and affirmed en banc by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Legal 500 Leading lawyer, Litigation - Product Liability and mass tort defense: Consumer products: The Legal 500 has described him as "the dean of the US beverage alcohol product liability bar" (2010) -- "His signal quality is the maturity of his judgement and he has a record of outstanding success on product liability matters brought to verdict." (2009) In 2017 he continued to be named as a "leading lawyer" in products liability and was named to the Legal 500 Hall of Fame which recognizes individuals designated by the Legal 500 as "elite lawyers" for at least six consecutive years.
- Acritas Star, Acritas, 2018-2020
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2018
- "Products Liability," Chapter 77, Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel, (Robert L. Haig), Thomson Reuters/West, 2012
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Mobilization for Justice, New York City