Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Shudan focuses her practice on counseling high net worth individuals, trustees, and financial institutions on the US tax implications of wealth transfer strategies, with an emphasis on international income and estate tax planning. She has substantial experience advising clients on all aspects of FATCA and CRS as well as various withholding tax and disclosure regimes. Shudan frequently counsels clients on the US tax consequences of expatriation from and immigration to the United States, and of US inbound and outbound investment structures. Shudan also advises on the creation, administration and governance of offshore trust structures.
As a trusted advisor to her clients, Shudan is often called upon to collaborate with other departments at the firm to provide multidisciplinary advice, including investment fund formation, cross-border family office structuring, US tax issues related to US shareholders' offshore investments and foreign investors' inbound investment structuring.
JD, Boston University School of Law
MA, Shanghai International Studies University
BA, Sun Yat-sen University
- Connecticut State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Advised a multi-billion dollar US-Chinese family on their cross-border family office structuring.
- Advised the US founders of multiple multinational biotech companies with major operations in China with respect to the founders' wealth holding structures prior to the companies' initial public offerings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised a US-Chinese family on the restructuring of their existing offshore trusts to address US tax issues in connection with CFC- and PFIC-attribution through foreign trusts, as well as subsequent restructuring in connection with the family's and their business's global headquarters' proposed relocation to Switzerland.
- Rising Star, New York Metro Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Rising Star, New England Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2016 - 2018
- Ones to Watch, Private Client and Global Elite, The American Lawyer and Legal Week, 2017 - 2019
- "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Impact on Chinese Clients' Wealth and Business Interest Planning", Journal of International Taxation, May 2018
- "A Comparison: FATCA and Common Reporting Standard", Journal of International Taxation, March 2016
- "Advanced Trust Planning for U.S.-Chinese Families with Global Assets," STEP LA Webinar, March 2021
- "Recent Developments in U.S.-China Tax and Trust Planning - The Onshore v. Offshore Debate", STEP Boston Webinar, November 2020
- "U.S.-China Planning for High Net Worth Individuals (Case Studies)," STEP Mid-Atlantic Webinar, May 2020