Christian B. Roy
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Christian B. RoyvCard
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Regulation and investigations
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
Christian Roy's practice focuses primarily on financial restructuring, bankruptcy, insolvency and realization of bank guarantees. His services are sought by local and international companies with restructuring needs and by court-appointed officers, financial institutions, secured and unsecured creditors and purchasers of assets from distressed companies.
He has acted for several financial institutions and companies regarding informal workouts and debtor-in-possession financings. Mr. Roy has participated in numerous major restructurings and receiverships, in a broad range of industries, including construction, manufacturing, sawmills, pulp and paper, technology, pharmaceutical, mining, retail and real estate. He also acts in cases involving liability of directors and officers.
Mr. Roy is local chair of the litigation group in the Québec office.
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1991
- Quebec 1992
Mr. Roy has acted recently for the following clients:
- Royal Bank of Canada in the restructuration of Groupe Qualinet inc. pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- A private company in connection with its $300 million refinancing
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in connection with numerous mandates, including the financial restructuring of Manoir Tadoussac, a private company, pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Innovente inc., a TSX Venture Exchange-listed company, in its ongoing restructuring pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Resolute FP Canada inc., a secured creditor in the ongoing restructuring of League Assets Corp. under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- A sawmill in Nova Scotia in its restructuring
- The senior secured noteholders in the restructuring of Northern Star Mining, a public company, and Jake Resources Inc., a private company
- A company specializing in the manufacture and packaging of products for the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and food industries, in its restructuring pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Hydro-Québec in the $615 million acquisition of a 60% interest in the McCormick Hydroelectric Facility from Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., as receiver, for the sale of the assets of Meubles Laurier Ltée to subsidiaries of Teknion Roy & Breton inc.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Banking and Finance Law, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2010-2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2022: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring (Insolvency Litigation); 2019-2022: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring (Financial Restructuring)
- 10th Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference (co-chair), Quebec City, October 23-24, 2014.
- Review of insolvency and restructuring case law, presentation to members of the Canadian Bar Association in Montreal and Quebec City.
- Review of insolvency and restructuring case law, presentation to a meeting of the Association québécoise des professionnels de la réorganisation et de l’insolvabilité in Quebec City.
- Frequent guest speaker on bankruptcy and insolvency topics.
- Canadian Bar Association
- INSOL International
- Laval University Rouge & Or downhill ski team