Emma de Ronde
Norton Rose Fulbright Hong Kong
Emma de RondevCard
Related services and key industries
Emma de Ronde is a corporate lawyer based in Hong Kong. She has extensive experience in cross-border M&A, international equity capital markets and corporate advisory work.
Emma joined the firm in 2003 and qualified into our corporate team in London in 2005. She became a partner in May 2012 and relocated to our Hong Kong corporate team in 2014.
In 2013, Emma was named in Financial News 40 under 40: The rising stars of legal services.
In 2015, She was named in the Asian Legal Business 40 under 40.
In 2017, Emma was recognized in the 2017 for General Corporate advice in the Client Choice Awards, which names people who stand out for excellent client care and quality of service. The criteria focuses on the ability to add real value to clients' businesses, above and beyond others.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
In the financial institutions sector, Emma's experience includes advising:
- HSBC on its acquisition of the remaining 50% stake in its life insurance joint venture in China
- HSBC on the sale of its general Takaful insurance business in Malaysia to Zurich Insurance
- HSBC on the sale of its family Takaful insurance business in Malaysia to FWD
- Zurich Insurance on the acquisition of Bright Box, a Hong Kong based InsurTech company
- HSBC on its strategic review of where its headquarters should be based
- HSBC on its US$2bn buyback programme
- Royal Bank of Canada on its acquisition of the private client investment. management business of Coutts, sold by Royal Bank of Scotland
- SG Hambros, part of Société Générale, on the acquisition of the private client investment management business of Baring Asset Management
- Barclays on the acquisition by Absa Group of Barclays' banking operations in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia
- HSBC Holdings on its £12.5bn 5-for-12 fully underwritten rights issue
- Goldman Sachs International in its capacity as underwriter to Africa Bank Limited on its ZAR4bn rights issue
- China Development Bank on its participation in Barclays' share issue, involving a placing and open offer of new Barclays shares
- ICBCI on its investment in a Chinese property holding vehicle
- Nanyang Holdings on its investment into HSL China Metropolitan Fund I LP
- PwC (in its role as adminstrators of the Nina Kung Estate) on the disposal of Canadian Insurance Company, a Hong Kong based insurer, to Aetna, a US based insurance group
- Liberty International Underwriters on underwriting a warranty and indemnity insurance policy
- AIG on underwriting a warranty and indemnity insurance policy
- Jubilee Group Holdings (part of the Ryan Specialty Group) on its acquisition of Direct Group
- Novae Group on its proposed competitive bid for Omega Insurance
- Beazley on its proposed bid for Hardy Underwriting Bermuda Limited
- The Law Society and the Solicitors Indemnity Fund (SIF) on the transfer of SIF's run-off claims handling business and the disposal of its associated assets, to Vision Underwriting, part of Liberty International
- Northern Trust on the acquisition of a Hong Kong-based broker
- A UK based broker on the establishment of an online broking platform in Hong Kong
- A US headquartered bank holding company on resolution and recovery requirements in Hong Kong
- Hawkpoint Partners as nominated adviser and Collins Stewart as broker on the AIM IPO of Secure Trust Bank PLC, a UK regulated bank
- Religare Capital Markets, part of the Ranbaxy Group, on its recommended cash offer for Hichens, Harrison & Co, a UK based broker
In the mining and energy sector Emma has acted for:
- Argonaut, HSBC and PT Indo Premier as placing agents to a share placement by PT Merdeka Copper Gold, an Indonesian listed mining group
- A Chinese consortium led by Fosun International on the implications under the Hong Kong Listing Rules of its acquisition of a 10% stake (and 5% option) in PJSC Polyus
- IRC Limited on a fundraising by way of share subscription by a new strategic investor, Tiger Capital, conditional on shareholder approval for the issue of new shares under the Hong Kong Listing Rules
- Lithium S Corporation on its acquisition and refinancing of a Hong Kong-based group owning lithium mining assets in Argentina, acquired following a receivership of the mine
- Husky Energy Inc. on the implications under the Listing Rules of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange of its joint venture with Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Power Assets Holdings Limited
- Brightoil Petroleum (Holdings) Limited on its issue of listed and unlisted convertible bonds
- Turquoise Hill Resources on its divestment of SouthGobi Resources, listed on the Hong Kong and Toronto Stock Exchanges
- AngloGold Ashanti on the disposal of its Mongbwalu project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Randgold Resources on its joint venture with Kilogold in relation to a gold mining project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Mineral Deposits Ltd, the ASX and TSX listed miner, on its joint venture with Eramet, a global steel producer, to create a new major player in the mineral sands industry
- International Finance Corporation on an investment into Hummingbird Resources, an AIM-listed mining group, in relation to its projects in Liberia
- BHP Billiton on a mineral development agreement it entered into with the Government of Liberia for the mining of iron ore
- Nimini Holdings on a mineral development agreement it entered into with the Government of Sierra Leone for the mining of gold
- Suez Enery South America Participaes Ltd, on its £39m competing takeover offer for Econergy International plc.
In other areas, Emma has advised:
- HSBC in its capacity as financial adviser to Admiral Power Holdings in respect of its privatisation of Wheelock and Company for approximately US$1.05bn
- HSBC as financial adviser to Lai Sun Development Company Development (LSD) and Holy Unicorn Limited (the 'Offeror'), a wholly-owned subsidiary of LSD, in respect of the Offeror's conditional voluntary general cash offer to acquire all of the issued shares of Lai Fung Holdings
- Modern Terminals on its joint operating agreement with Hutchison Ports in relation to the Kwai Tsing Port in Hong Kong
- HSBC in its role as financial adviser to Shangtex (Hong Kong) Limited on its pre-conditional voluntary cash offer for Luen Thai Holdings Limited
- Armada Holdings Limited (previously the holding company of SCMP) on its disposal of a property investment company as a major transaction, and on the mandatory general offer made for Armada by Great Wall Pan Asia following Great Wall's acquisition of a controlling interest in Armada from the Kerry Group
- BHL Limited (BHL) on its proposed privatisation of Bracell Limited, which is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, by way of scheme of arrangement, valuing Bracell at approximately HK$6.09bn (approximately US$785.82m).
- Vallourec SA on its mandatory general offer for Anhui Tianda Oil Pipe Company Limited, the first takeover in Hong Kong where a foreign investor has directly acquired the domestic shares of a PRC incorporated company listed in Hong Kong
- econtext Asia Limited on its privatisation and delisting from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Iberia on its merger with British Airways
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, Corporate Finance as sponsor and financial adviser to Galliford Try plc and KBC Peel Hunt as underwriter on an open offer to fund a recommended offer by Galliford Try for Linden Holdings plc.
- Insurance Companies (Amendment) Ordinance 2015 brings sweeping changes, August 28, 2015}
The Hong Kong Legislative Council passed the Insurance Companies (Amendment) Bill 2014 on 10 July 2015.
- Financial institutions M&A in Asia Pacific, November 21, 2014
As global M&A activity continues to increase, many financial institutions are looking at their Asia Pacific strategy.
Publication | February 02, 2021
Publication | November 13, 2020
Publication | November 12, 2020
UK: UK corporate governance and narrative reporting: Key developments checklist, February 2020 - July 2020
Publication | July 21, 2020