Partner, Canadian Co-Head of Mergers and Acquisitions
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Communications, media and entertainment
- Food and agribusiness
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
Mathieu Deschamps deals with all aspects of corporate and business law. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions as well as setting up complex structures in connection with equity and debt financings, involving both publicly traded and privately held companies. He frequently acts in multi-jurisdictional transactions in Canada, the United States and abroad in various sectors of the economy, including the circular economy, oil and gas and renewable energy, transportation, food, pharmaceutical, financial, insurance, securities advisory and trading and entertainment industries. He is also involved in negotiating shareholders' and partnership agreement as well as various commercial contracts for large corporations, institutional investors, SMEs and start-ups.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Deschamps is currently the leader of the private M&A team for the Montréal office. He also oversees the firm's three-year partnership with Zù to support entrepreneurs in the entertainment and technology sectors by offering them legal assistance services. His past experience as a market analyst for a mining company during his studies allows him to bring industry experience to his work. Besides his law degree, he also obtained a bachelor of commerce.
- Quebec 2007
Clients for whom Mr. Deschamps has acted recently include:
- Lithion Recycling, a company that has developed an innovative solution for recycling lithium-ion batteries in a sustainable way, in connection with (i) its Series A financing for an amount of up to C$125 million, and (ii) ongoing corporate and commercial matters
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its initial investment of approximately US$500 million in a portfolio of approximately 1,500 megawatts of operating wind farms in the United States and Canada that are owned and operated by Invenergy Wind, and subsequent add-on investments and related transactions
- Metro Inc., including (i) in the context of Metro's acquisition of a majority interest in each of Premiere Moisson bakery and Marché Adonis, in (ii) Metro's acquisition by way of a combination agreement of all the outstanding class A subordinate shares and class B shares of The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. for C$24.50 per share, representing a total consideration of approximately C$4.5 billion, and (iii) for ongoing corporate and commercial matters
- Bombardier, including in connection with (i) the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec's investment in Bombardier's transportation division, (ii) the Bombardier Transportation's sale to Alstom, (iii) the sale of its CRJ Aicraft Program to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and (iiii) the sale of its business aviation training division to CAE Inc.
- Beaudier Inc., as principal shareholder, in setting up the debt and equity financing of the Port-Daniel-Gascons quarry and cement plant project on the Gaspé peninsula
- Cirque du Soleil, including in connection with (i) forming a production fund and a US$105 million investment therein by Cirque du Soleil, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Constellation Growth Capital Partner to fund the Zarkana and Iris Productions (ii) the transaction whereby TPG Capital Group became the majority shareholder of Cirque du Soleil
- Desjardins Group in the merger of its subsidiary Qtrade Canada Inc. with Credential Financial Inc. and NEI Investments to create Aviso Wealth, one of Canada's largest independent wealth management firms
- CAE Inc. in connection with its proposed acquisition of Sabre Corporation's AirCentre airline operations portfolio
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Technology Law, 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021-2023: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; 2021, 2023: recommended in Corporate Mid-Market; 2023: recommended in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40, 2020
"Purge of LGBT employees in the Federal Government: A successful class action," Montreal, February 2019.
"An overview of an M&A Deal," M&A academy series webinar, October 2018.
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec branch
- Executive - SOGIC Committee
- Pride at Work, Québec region