Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Mathieu Deschamps deals with all aspects of corporate law and business law, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions and setting up complex structures in connection with equity and debt financings, involving both publicly traded and privately held companies. He is frequently involved in multi-jurisdictional transactions involving the acquisition, merger or financing of businesses in Canada, the United States and abroad in various sectors of the economy, including in the transportation, food and pharmaceutical, financial, insurance, securities advisory and trading, entertainment and oil and gas and renewable energy industries. He is also routinely involved in the negotiation of shareholders' agreements, partnership agreements and various commercial contracts for large corporations, institutional investors, as well as SMEs and start-up companies.
In addition to his law degree, Mr. Deschamps obtained a bachelor of commerce and acquired business experience by working as a market analyst for a mining company during his law studies.
He is currently the leader of the private M&A team for the Montreal office.
LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 2007
B.Com., McGill University, 2003
- Quebec 2007
Clients for whom Mr. Deschamps has acted recently include:
- SNC-Lavalin in its sale of Alta Link to Berkshire Hathaway Energy
- Metro Inc. in the context of the acquisition of a majority interest in each of Premiere Moisson bakery and Marché Adonis
- Bombardier in connection with the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s investment in Bombardier’s transportation division
- Beaudier Inc., as principal shareholder, in setting up the debt and equity financing of the Port-Daniel-Gascons quarry and cement plant project on the Gaspé peninsula
- Cirque du Soleil in the formation of a production fund and a $105 million investment therein by Cirque du Soleil, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Constellation Growth Capital Partner to fund the Zarkana and Iris Productions
- Industrial Alliance in its acquisition of CTL Corp., a company that offers non-traditional auto finance to its customers
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its investment of approximately US$500 million in Invenergy’s wind projects
- Cirque du Soleil inc., in the transaction whereby TPG Capital Group became the majority shareholder of Cirque du Soleil
- Metro Inc. with its acquisition by way of a combination agreement pursuant to which Metro acquired all of the outstanding class A subordinate shares and class B shares of The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. for $24.50 per share, representing a total consideration of approximately $4.5 billion
- Desjardins Group in the merger of its subsidiary Qtrade Canada Inc. with Credential Financial Inc. and NEI Investments to create Aviso Wealth, one of Canada's largest independent wealth management firms
"An overview of an M&A Deal," M&A academy series webinar
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch
- Executive - SOGIC Committee
- Fondation l’Actuel
- Pride at Work, Quebec region