Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Véronique Barry's practice covers all aspects of commercial and corporate law, with a particular focus on drafting commercial contracts and on matters relating to life sciences and healthcare. Véronique has gained valuable experience in personalized medicine, clinical trials and other research projects, artificial intelligence and other innovative technologies, and the use of technology in healthcare. She has also developed a keen interest in access to information and protection of personal information, intellectual property matters, as well as French language and Canada's anti-spam legislation requirements. Over the last few years, Véronique has given several presentations and has published various articles and taken part in drafting law books on these topics.
While pursuing her bachelor of laws – international profile at Laval University, Véronique studied at Birmingham University in England where she furthered her knowledge of international commercial law, among other topics. Véronique also studied at Queen's University and subsequently became a member of the Ontario Bar.
- Ontario 2013
- Quebec 2012
Ms. Barry has acted in the following matters:
- advising on the conduct of fundamental research activities and multicentric clinical trials, and developing, drafting, reviewing and negotiating tailored agreements;
- advising on the development, launch, funding and use of innovative solutions, such as telemedicine, e-pharmacy, smart devices, artificial intelligence and other forms of emerging technologies, and elaborating strategies taking into account the relevant legal implications, including with respect to privacy, big data, cybersecurity, healthcare professionals' duties and the use of devices (qualifying as "medical devices" or "software as a medical device");
- providing advice regarding the design, operation and governance of innovative projects, such as longitudinal biobanks and databanks, genomic initiatives, personalized medicine and virtual clinics and the drafting of specific agreements in this regard;
- assisting clients in the organization or reorganization of research/clinical activities, including as to the intricacies of securing the required regulatory approvals, and the elaboration of organizational structures suited to research activities (such as centres of excellence and research consortiums), the creation of separate legal entities for the valorization of intellectual property and the provision of advice regarding private/public funding;
- drafting and negotiating highly specialized agreements, such as cell lines/technology/ biological materials license agreements, agreements for the transfer of technologies, GMP manufacturing contracts, agreements for the provision of contract research organization services, compassionate agreements, quality agreements and contracts for the supply/procurement of blood products;
- reviewing and drafting of speaker agreements and agreements for advisory boards, ethics committees and consultant panels;
- providing assistance on the supply of products/services to public bodies in compliance with public procurement rules and developing and drafting agreements; and
- assisting clients regarding their conformity with ministerial directives and circulars, such as those regarding indirect costs, and drafting or reviewing policies and internal procedures in this regard
- developing organizational structures suited to research activities, creating separate legal entities for valuing intellectual property rights or the hiring of researchers and research assistants and organizing research activities within health institutions and other corporate entities
- drafting by-laws, policies and internal directives in compliance with applicable legislation and regulatory frameworks for research activities and intellectual property policies
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Privacy and Data Security Law, 2023
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Healthcare: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2021-2023
- Finalist of the Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers Ranking (2021)
- Dean's Honour List, Queen's University, 2012
- Senator Frank Carrel Scholarship, Queen's University, 2012
- GBV-Englobe environmental law essay competition, GBV-Englobe, 2008
- Lieutenant Governor's Award, Merici College, 2007
- Toyota Earth Day Scholarship, Toyota Foundation/Earth Day Canada, 2007
- Millennium Scholarship, Canadian Millennium Scholarship Foundation, 2007
- Desjardins Scholarship, social sector, Jeunes Boursiers des Grands Québécois, 2007
- Bill reforming health information management tabled at the National Assembly, December 6, 2021.
- Tabling Bill 6: new development in Quebec's digital transformation, November 16, 2021.
- Privacy legislation reform: Bill 64 has now been passed, November 10, 2021.
- Quebec prohibits financial support by drug manufacturers for patients buying insured drugs, April 9, 2021.
- Potential impact of Quebec's privacy legislation on clinical research.
- Quebec proposes expanding the role of pharmacists part 2: Introducing the advanced practice in partnership between pharmacists and physicians, July 14, 2020.
- Quebec proposes expanding the role of pharmacists 1st part: Broadening the scope of professional acts that pharmacists are permitted to perform, July 10, 2020.
- Comprehensive reform of the Act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector: Quebec finally tables its bill, revealing details of its new framework, June 16, 2020.
- Amendments to the terms and conditions for the sale of medications, May 2020.
- La Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels dans le secteur privé a 25 ans : votre opinion sollicitée, March 2019.
- PCL Newsletters – Diagnosis by specialized nurse practitioners: A collaborative and complementary approach, March 2019.
- Pharma in Brief – Health Canada, INESSS and CADTH to provide Early Parallel Scientific Advice, March 2019.
- PCL Newsletters – A new collaboration between Health Canada, INESSS and CADTH through the Early Parallel Scientific Advice, March 2019.
- Webinar - Protection des données personnelles Québec, June 14, 2021.
- Raining workshop on the development and use of technologies (CIUSSS HMR training), November 12, 2020.
- "Decoding New Legal Realities in the Era of Technological Innovation in Healthcare," Quebec City Healthcare Industry Forum (FISQ), December 4, 2019.
- "Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing," March 28, 2019.
- "Points à considérer lors de l'examen de contrats de recherche," March 18, 2019.
- "L'impact du Règlement Général sur la Protection des Données en matière de recherche clinique" - 12th Forum de l'industrie de la santé de Québec, December 5, 2018.
- "Conduct of clinical trials in a digital era," Montreal, September 21, 2017.
- "New trends with respect to clinical trials," Montreal, June 12, 2017.
- Seminar designed to discuss the main legislative and jurisprudential developments pertaining to the life sciences and healthcare industry, as part of the Quebec Health Innovation Week, Quebec, November 30, 2016.
- Seminar designed to discuss the legal issues facing the future of life sciences and healthcare industry, as part of the Quebec Health Innovation Week, Quebec, December 2, 2016.
- Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec / Cercle 179, deputy chair of Cercle 179 since 2015
- Board of directors – Carnaval de Québec, director since 2019
- Graduate committee of Collège Mérici since 2019
- Ambassador – Fondation Cervo – D'un chic fou, since 2017
- Ambassador – Centre hospitalier universitaire (CHU) de Québec – "Escapade au sommet du massif," 2015
- Ambassador – Le Grand Défi Pierre-Lavoie / Équipe Henry Schein, 2015-2016
- Ambassador – JDRF Canada – Révolution FRDJ Roulons pour vaincre le diabète, 2013 to 2015
- Master of ceremonies for the 25th anniversary gala of Croissance Travail, 2017
- Relay for Life – Canadian Cancer Society, 2016
Publication | December 8, 2022
Blog | December 14, 2021
Publication | December 6, 2021