Senior Associate Patent Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
An electrical engineer by training, Awa Carole Diop focuses on matters related to information technology (telecommunications, software, electronics, optics), mechanics and medical devices.
Ms. Diop drafts patent applications and prosecutes them before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. She is also involved in prosecuting patent applications elsewhere in the world, most notably before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the European Patent Office. Her experience also includes preparing patentability, infringement and validity opinions.
She also assists her clients, which include university-based clients, start-ups, and large corporations, with the decision-making process for intellectual property management. In addition, she has been involved in due diligence reviews of intellectual property portfolios.
Before joining our Montréal office, Ms. Diop worked at an IP boutique firm in Montréal after having gained valuable industry experience working for a venture capital firm and managing the intellectual property portfolio of a technology start-up company.
M.Eng., Electrical Engineering, École Polytechnique de Montréal, 2012
B.Eng., Electrical Engineering, McGill University, 2004
- Canada (patents) 2008
- United States (patents) 2008
"Data Ownership in the Digital Age," Aéro Montréal Newsletter, Issue 18, June 5, 2019.
- "Artificial intelligence in health: A practical case," Pharma Day 2019, Norton Rose Fulbright, Montreal, May 22, 2019.
- "Overview of best practices to digitize your company and obtain quality data," Global Supply Chain Summit 2019, International Aerospace Week, Aéro Montréal, Montreal, April 16, 2019.
- "Quebec's artificial intelligence (AI) ecosystem," Vision 2019, Norton Rose Fulbright, Montreal, March 18, 2019.
- "La science des données biologiques: l'intelligence artificielle peut-elle être une panacée pour l'industrie et la recherche en sciences de la vie?", Forum de l'industrie de la santé de Québec, Quebec City, December 5, 2018.
- "A quick look at the tech transfer practices at MIT?" symposium, Intellectual Property (IP) licensing in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Univalor, Montreal, May 17, 2018.
- "Les drones en plein envol," Norton Rose Fulbright, Montreal, February 8, 2018.
- “Intellectual property 101,” CMC Active Silicon Photonics Course, McGill University, Montreal, July 12, 2013.
- “Intellectual property, entertainment and technology law in a digital age,” Panel, BLSAC’s 22nd Annual National Conference, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, February 22, 2013.
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (Quebec order of engineers)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Quebec Photonic Network
- Jeune Chambre de Commerce de Montréal (Montreal junior chamber of commerce)