Related services and key industries
Gunnar Benediktsson practises primarily in the areas of commercial and corporate insolvency and restructuring, litigation, and dispute resolution.
As an insolvency and restructuring lawyer, Mr. Benediktsson has a range of experience representing court-appointed receivers and monitors in proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA) or the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA), and has acted for both debtors and creditors in various insolvency and restructuring proceedings. Mr. Benediktsson also represented parties to commercial disputes throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia, and has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta, and before the Court of Queen's Bench and Court of Appeal in Saskatchewan.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Benediktsson obtained a Ph.D. in English literature from the University of Iowa, and spent a number of years teaching undergraduate literature, rhetoric, composition and humanities at post-secondary institutions in the United States.
J.D., University of Calgary, 2013
Ph.D., University of Iowa, 2010
M.A., University of Iowa, 2005
M.A., Iowa State University, 2000
B.A.(Hons.), University of Calgary, 1998
- Alberta 2014
Clients for whom Mr. Benediktsson has acted include:
Insolvency and Restructuring
- Anterra Energy Inc., in connection with restructuring proceedings commenced under the CCAA.
- Southern Pacific Energy Inc., in connection with restructuring proceedings commenced under the CCAA.
- Numerous court-appointed receivers and trustees in receivership and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Numerous secured and unsecured lenders in debt collection actions and receivership proceedings.
- An Alberta waste disposal company in connection with a contested receivership application
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- ExxonMobil Canada Energy, in connection with a dispute over preferential purchase rights held by Northrock Resources, a partnership, over certain interests near Shaunavon, Saskatchewan.
- A petro-chemical company, in respect of an action for damages commenced by the joint owner of a petro-chemical facility.
- An oilfield services company in complex cross-border litigation involving intellectual property infringement and breach of confidence allegations against various parties.
- A freehold royalty owner with respect to a dispute over royalties owing under freehold leases over subsurface materials in Saskatchewan.
- A U.S.-based energy trading company with respect to the enforcement and recognition of a foreign judgment in Canada
- Top Oralist, Davies Corporate/Securities Moot, 2013
- Fraser Milner Casgrain Prize in Corporate Finance and Securities Law, 2013
- Stevenson and Cote Book Prize, 2012
- Alan D. Hunter Award, 2012
- Macleod Dixon Scholarship, 2011
- Dean’s List, University of Calgary Faculty of Law 2011 – 2013
- "May You Litigate in Interesting Times: Specific Performance, Mitigation, and Valuation Issues in a Rising (or Falling) Market," Canadian Energy Law Foundation, 57th Annual Jasper Research Seminar, Jasper, Alberta, June 13-16, 2018.
- "Joint Venture Partner Insolvency: Risks and Opportunities," Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta, 2017.
- "Streamlining Complex Commercial Litigation: Trial Procedure and Access to Justice in the New Century," Canadian Bar Association, Civil Litigation Law - South Section Meeting, Calgary, Alberta, January 26, 2016.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
Publication | January 2019
Publication | November 2018