Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Gunnar Benediktsson practises primarily in the areas of commercial and corporate litigation and insolvency and restructuring.
Mr. Benediktsson has represented parties to commercial disputes throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia, and has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta, and before the Court of Queen's Bench and Court of Appeal in Saskatchewan.
As an insolvency and restructuring lawyer, Mr. Benediktsson has a range of experience representing court-appointed receivers and monitors in proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act or the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, and has acted for both debtors and creditors in various insolvency and restructuring proceedings.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Benediktsson obtained a Ph.D. in English literature from the University of Iowa, and spent a number of years teaching undergraduate literature, rhetoric, composition and humanities at post-secondary institutions in the United States.
J.D., University of Calgary, 2013
Ph.D., University of Iowa, 2010
M.A., University of Iowa, 2005
M.A., Iowa State University, 2000
B.A.(Hons.), University of Calgary, 1998
- Alberta 2014
In addition to representing numerous lenders, court officers and other parties to commercial or insolvency proceedings in Western Canada, Mr. Benediktsson has acted in the following matters:
Insolvency and Restructuring
- Advising Anterra Energy Inc., in respect of restructuring proceedings commenced under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA);
- Advising Southern Pacific Energy Inc., in respect of restructuring proceedings commenced under the CCAA;
- Representing an Alberta waste disposal company in connection with a contested receivership application;
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Defending an Alberta petro-chemical company in an action for damages commenced by the joint owner of a petro-chemical facility;
- Representing a large international oilfield services company in complex cross-border litigation involving intellectual property infringement and breach of confidence allegations against various parties;
- Representing a freehold royalty owner in a dispute over royalties owing under freehold leases over subsurface materials in Saskatchewan;
- Representing a US-based energy trading company regarding enforcing and recognizing a foreign judgment in Canada;
- Successfully defending the Director of an Alberta shallow-gas producer in complex commercial litigation commenced by the trustee in bankruptcy of an insolvent estate claiming $225 million in damages based on alleged breaches of corporate and bankruptcy law;
- Representing an Asian state-owned energy company in respect of a dispute regarding payment for oil field services under a master services agreement; and
- Representing a Texas-based oil and gas producer in complex commercial litigation arising from the purchase and sale of producing oil and gas assets in Alberta.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2024
- The Legal 500 Canada: Dispute Resolution - Alberta (Rising Star), 2023
- Top Oralist, Davies Corporate/Securities Moot, 2013
- Fraser Milner Casgrain Prize in Corporate Finance and Securities Law, 2013
- Stevenson and Cote Book Prize, 2012
- Alan D. Hunter Award, 2012
- Macleod Dixon Scholarship, 2011
- Dean’s List, University of Calgary Faculty of Law 2011 – 2013
- "May You Litigate in Interesting Times: Specific Performance, Mitigation, and Valuation Issues in a Rising (or Falling) Market," Canadian Energy Law Foundation, 57th Annual Jasper Research Seminar, Jasper, Alberta, June 13-16, 2018.
- "Joint Venture Partner Insolvency: Risks and Opportunities," Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta, 2017.
- "Streamlining Complex Commercial Litigation: Trial Procedure and Access to Justice in the New Century," Canadian Bar Association, Civil Litigation Law - South Section Meeting, Calgary, Alberta, January 26, 2016.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association