Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Mélissa Devost practises primarily in the area of environmental and energy law. She worked for over eight years in the legal affairs directorate of the Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change, where she was responsible for major files. She was the lawyer responsible for the July 2013 Lac-Mégantic rail accident file, the 2010 restructuring of Abitibi-Bowater and the request for arbitration made by Dow AgroSciences LLC pursuant to the North American Free Trade Agreement concerning the Pesticides Management Code.
Ms. Devost has developed particular experience in orders under the Environment Quality Act and the Dam Safety Act. She also acted for the department in several contaminated site files and was responsible for the department’s environmental liability team from 2009 to 2014. Ms. Devost also has experience in files relating to the constitutional division of powers, regularization of lands in the domain of the state, federal-provincial agreements and parks, particularly the operation of provincial parks by aboriginal communities.
Since joining the Québec office in January 2015, Ms. Devost has conducted a number of environmental due diligence reviews in connection with mergers and acquisitions. She provides legal and strategic advice on environmental matters having regard for Quebec, federal and municipal legislation. She also advises clients on obtaining environmental permits and authorizations and verifies environmental compliance.
- Graduate degree, microprogram in climate change, Université Laval, 2017
- LL.M., Université Laval, 2012
- LL.B., Université Laval, 2004
- Quebec 2006
- Negotiation of contracts for the lease of water power and the grant of rights of the domain of the State for dams and hydroelectric generating stations
- Environmental due diligence in connection with the acquisition of a business carrying on airport operations
- Environmental due diligence and compliance due diligence with respect to railway safety regulations of a business providing railway maintenance services
- Environmental due diligence and transfer of environmental permits in merger and acquisition and corporate restructuring files
- Assignment of environmental permits in connection with a change in ownership of a wind farm
- Legal advice and representation in connection with environmental monetary administrative penalties and notices of offence
- Verification of a guide for the management of contaminated soil at the request of a rail transportation company with operations in a number of Canadian provinces
- Legal advice to businesses in the pulp and paper industry
- “L’enjeu de la solvabilité lors de la prise de recours par le ministère,” Science Environment Forum: les garanties financières pour protéger l’environnement, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change, April 30, 2014.
- “Connaissances légales de base,” “Protection et réhabilitation des terrains et Gestion des matières résiduelles,” “Recours administratifs et civils,” mandatory program to standardize the duties of new inspectors and analysts, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks, April 17 to 19, 2013, March 19 and 21, 2014.
- “Les Escoumins : enlèvement d’un enrochement illégal,” Water resources workshop, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change, February 4, 2014.
- “Retour sur les recours administratifs et présentation de cas depuis l’adoption de la Loi 89,” Enlarged Management Committee, Environmental Control Centre, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks, February 26, 2013.
- “Revue des recours civils et administratifs existants en vertu de la Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement depuis l’adoption de la Loi 89,” Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks, winter 2012.
- “Quelques recours à démystifier,” water and natural resources workshop, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks, February 8, 2012.
- “Les recours au fil de l’eau; comment y naviguer,” water and natural resources workshop, Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks, February 10, 2010.
- Canadian Bar Association
- AlterJustice, chair of the board
- Fondation Monique-Fitz-Back, director of the board
- SPA de Québec, vice-president of the board of directors
Publication | April 2017
Publication | April 2017
Publication | October 2016
Publication | August 2016