Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Matthew Ash is a projects lawyer based in Cape Town. He focuses his practice on energy and major infrastructure projects, and is a highly-experienced and trusted advisor to clients across a wide variety of industries, including energy, transport and civils infrastructure, water and food security, and disruptive agri-tech projects.
Matt offers a broad range of services to sponsors, developers, contractors, equity financiers, and lenders across the full spectrum of the energy sector (thermal power, nuclear, and renewables) and on major infrastructure initiatives, advising on construction, operation, supply- and services agreements, regulatory compliance, and risk. Matt also has advised clients on project company structures and financing and securitization arrangements for projects (debt and equity). Matt also assists clients in the resolution and determination of project disputes, closely supporting client litigator teams with project contract analysis and information.
- BA, University of the Witwatersrand, 1983
- LLB, University of the Witwatersrand, 1988
- PGDip (Shipping Law), University of Cape Town, 1995
- MA (Christian Conflict Management) magna cum laude Trinity Theological Seminary 2017
- ThM/PhD (Christian Leadership & Administration) Trinity Theological Seminary (in progress)
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
- Advising sponsors and developers on the construction and operation of three gas pipelines being developed for a corporate client offtaker
- Advising sponsors and developers on the construction and operation of a series of small hydropower facilities along the Fish River/Sundays River Water Transfer Scheme in South Africa, including EPC and O&M contracts, land rights, regulatory compliance (water rights, grid connection, generation licence), private corporate power purchase agreements, and project structuring (joint development agreements, shareholder agreements, preference share funding agreements)
- Advising sponsors and developers, as legal project lead, in the structuring, bid, construction and operation of a 25MW biomass-fueled power plant developed under the South African Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme.
- Advising and representing an international contractor in the negotiation and conclusion of the construction- and operation and maintenance contracts for three 80MW solar PV facilities developed under the South African Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme.
- Advising, as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, a South African government institution on the proposed structuring of an independent Single Buyer Office for the trading of electrical energy in South Africa.
- Advising and representing an international energy company in resolving to advantage a major dispute with is contractor pertaining to the construction of a fuel terminal.
- IFLR Leading Lawyer 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Legal Media Group Expert Guide to the World's Leading Energy Lawyers 2012
- Who's Who Legal Oil & Gas Lawyers 2012
- Co-author, South African Mineral and Petroleum Law, 2010-2018
- Co-author, Norton Rose Fulbright Shale Gas Handbook, 2013
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Institute of Consultants (2017-present)
- Maritime Law Association of South Africa.
- President (Cape Chapter) (1997-2000)
- National Executive Committee (1998-2002)