Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Jeremy Lua is a dual-qualified dispute resolution lawyer based in Singapore who focuses on regulatory investigations and compliance.
His experience includes a broad range of complex regulatory investigations and compliance matters, including anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions, export controls and financial fraud issues. He has advised on matters relating to the Singapore Prevention of Corruption Act, and the Singapore Corruption, Drug Trafficking and Other Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act, the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act and other regional anti-bribery laws. In addition, he also advises on data protection, cybersecurity and other technology matters, often assisting clients in navigating crisis situations, such as responding to data breach and cybersecurity incidents.
Jeremy has represented and advised clients on government investigations before government agencies in Singapore and overseas, such as the Singapore Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau ("CPIB"), the Singapore Police Force, the Personal Data Protection Commission of Singapore ("PDPC"), the US Department of Justice ("DOJ") and the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), and other multilateral organisations.
Jeremy's practice also includes advising clients on regulatory and compliance matters, including designing and implementing compliance programs, policies and procedures, and on regulatory risk management and mitigation and follow-on disputes. He also counsels corporates and senior management on business ethics, corporate liability and personal liability.
Prior to joining the firm, Jeremy was a Deputy Public Prosecutor at the Attorney-General's Chambers of Singapore, with a focus on technology crime. As a technology crime prosecutor, Jeremy prosecuted offences under the Singapore Computer Misuse Act. He is experienced in dealing with evidential and other issues concerning technology.
Jeremy received his law degree from the National University of Singapore. He is fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese. He is admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor in Singapore and as a solicitor in the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- A US listed technology company – on a significant cross-border investigation into sales employees, business partners, and third parties relating to issues of forgery, corruption and violation of policies and regulations in various countries in Asia and Europe, and representing the company before the DOJ and SEC.
- A North Asian Airline - on a major cybersecurity incident involving third party attackers leading to data belonging to millions of passengers being compromised, and representing the company in follow-on investigations initiated by data protection regulators, including the PDPC.
- A global airline – on its response to a data breach incident and assisting with crisis response, which necessitated self-notification to data protection regulators around the world, advising on its response to public stakeholders, and follow-on investigation initiated by data protection regulators, including the PDPC.
- A US medical device company – on internal investigations into whistleblower claims of employee misconduct in Malaysia and India.
- A global storage company – on an ongoing internal investigation into allegations of misconduct and bribery involving current and former employees of its operating company, including senior employees, and advising and representing the company in its cooperation with the CPIB.
- A multinational logistics company – on an internal investigation into environmental compliance issues, including on its self-report to local authorities.
- A multinational power generation company – on an internal investigation into whistleblower claims of employee misconduct in Bangladesh.
- An Asian diversified conglomerate – on multi-jurisdictional anti-corruption, AML and sanctions compliance matters in the context of a real estate transaction.
- Operator of an online commodities trading platform - on its obligations relating to trade sanctions and AML/CFT related matters.
- Anti-Corruption Regulation, Singapore – Getting the Deal Through, 2017-2020
- "Deferred prosecution agreements; Justice delayed or justice denied?" The Business Times, 6 February 2018
- This time it's personal: Senior management liability in “books and records” offences
- Speaker, Singapore Insurance Brokers Association's Senior Management Retreat 2017 in Taipei, Taiwan, AML Trends and Development and Senior Management Liability, July 2017.
Speaker, The Legal 500 GC Summit Indonesia 2019 in Jakarta, Indonesia, A team effort: how GCs and external counsel can work together to manage big-ticket disputes and investigations, November 2019.
- Mandarin Chinese
Publication | March 25, 2020
Publication | March 22, 2019
Publication | April 2018
Publication | March 2018