Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Sean Wallace practises primarily corporate and commercial law, with a focus on energy and natural resources. He has assisted clients on a broad range of matters, including asset acquisitions and divestitures, share purchase transactions, upstream and midstream projects (including LNG and renewables), long-term commercial arrangements, day-to-day operational issues, and employment matters. His related experience includes drafting and negotiating commercial and transactional agreements, advising on deal strategy, supervising and conducting due diligence, and preparing opinions on various legal issues.
Mr. Wallace returned to us after completing a two-year secondment at a new midstream energy client, first as its sole in-house counsel, and later assisting with the recruitment and onboarding of its general counsel and in-house legal team. In this role, he worked on key transactions in excess of $1 billion, advised on litigation and regulatory issues, and provided legal services to all areas of the company, including commercial, projects, finance, human resources, and operations.
As a member of our employment and labour team, Mr. Wallace advises and represents employers in connection with negotiating and preparing employment contracts and severance packages, employment policies and procedures, and employment-related issues during corporate transactions and restructurings.
Mr. Wallace joined our Calgary office as an associate in 2017, having previously worked at a top regional firm and a large Canadian pipeline company.
- Alberta 2016
Mr. Wallace has acted for the following clients:
- NorthRiver Midstream Inc., as lead internal counsel, in the remaining acquisition of Enbridge Inc.'s Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business for C$1.8 billion, the Field Services business comprising six federally regulated natural gas processing plants and liquid handling facilities with total handling capacity of 1.6Bcf/day and their associated raw gas gathering systems;
- PETRONAS and its affiliates with the acquisition of a 25% participating interest in the LNG Canada Project from affiliates of Shell, PetroChina and KOGAS;
- Kiwetinohk Resources Corp. in connection with its C$160 million acquisition of upstream oil and gas assets in the Duvernay and Simonette Areas of Alberta;
- Wolf Midstream Inc. in an agreement with MEG Energy Corp (MEG) to acquire MEG's 50% ownership interest in Access Pipeline and a 100% ownership interest in the Stonefell Terminal for C$1.52 billion, including capital commitments of approximately C$90 million;
- Mocal Energy Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration Corporation, on its strategic disposition of a 5% interest in the Syncrude Oilsands Project to Suncor Energy Ventures Partnership for a purchase price of US$730 million;
- Paramount Resources on its purchase of Apache Canada, a wholly owned subsidiary of US public company Apache, for approximately C$460 million. The acquisition added significant reserves, production and landholdings within Alberta and British Columbia to Paramount's portfolio.
- Dean's List, University of Alberta Faculty of Law, 2013
- First Class Standing, University of Alberta Faculty of Law, 2013, 2015
- Merv Leitch QC Prize in Constitutional Law, 2013
- The Honourable C.D. O'Brien Scholarship, 2015
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada: Corporate Law, 2023-2024
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association