Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Professional negligence
- Insurance and reinsurance disputes
- International arbitration
Key industry sectors
Mike George is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London.
Mike regularly advises London market and overseas insurers and reinsurers on high-value insurance and reinsurance disputes. He also advises clients on professional liability, trade credit and political risk, and reinsurance claims.
Mike has significant experience of advising clients involved in High Court litigation and arbitration proceedings.
- LPC, College of Law London, 2009
- LLB, University of Liverpool, 2006
- England and Wales
- A leading insurer in arbitration proceedings with respect to property related losses arising from civil unrest in South America in 2019.
- Insurers and reinsurers with respect to their exposure to business interruption and event cancellation claims arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Insurers in a LCIA arbitration in respect of a coverage dispute under a trade credit insurance policy arising from the failure to repay pre-export finance contracts relating to commodity exports in Brazil.
- A major national law firm, as instructed by the insurers, defending an £11m negligence claim in the High Court arising from advice given to two leading housebuilders and the drafting of option agreements with respect to strategic land.
- A law firm, as instructed by the insurers, in High Court proceedings on a £25m negligence claim brought against them by a professional footballer, following his initial conviction for a serious sexual offence and later acquittal. The claim centred on the law firm's alleged failure to adduce evidence at his first criminal trial and on appeal.
- Political risk insurers on coverage issues arising from a claim by a Japanese consortium under an all-risks policy following delays to the completion of an infrastructure project in North Africa.
- A law firm, as instructed by the insurers, in High Court proceedings brought against them by a high net worth individual over a divorce for the alleged failure to disclose information relating to trusts which resulted in the divorce settlement being set aside and a further significant payment.
- As representative for the insurers in arbitration proceedings regarding interpretation of a professional liability policy following settlement by the law firm of a multi-million pound underlying claim.
- As representative for an oil company in an arbitration relating to claims for breach of contract due to the expropriation of parts of the oil and gas industry in Venezuela.
- As representative for an insured seeking to recover under a DSU policy over the construction of an oil pipeline in Ecuador.
The Legal 500 (2023)
- "Mike George is a real rising star for the future. He is very hard working and has very good judgment."
- "Mike George is a pleasure to deal with even on the most difficult and sensitive matters. His combination of legal acumen, eye for detail and strategic thinking means he delivers time and again.
The Legal 500 (2022)
- "Mike George is diligent, resourceful and gives careful thought to issues."
- "Michelle George and Mike George are excellent professional negligence lawyers. Experienced in defending high profile and heavyweight solicitor negligence claims."