Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Hannah McAslan-Schaaf is a financial services and regulation lawyer based in London.
Hannah advises on all aspects of compliance with relevant PRA and FCA rules and regulations in both a transactional and advisory context. In recent years, she has advised major financial institutions on regulatory implementation projects (including leading client projects responding to Brexit, MiFID II, MAR and changes to the client assets regime), governance reviews, outsourcing transactions, cross-border service provision including the ability of third country firms to access the UK markets, the UK's Senior Managers and Certification Regime, and sanctions-related issues.
Hannah also has experience of drafting and negotiating a wide range of financial services agreements and she has extensive transactional experience from both a UK and multijurisdictional perspective. She also has a broad range of experience of coordinating complex change in control application processes and she regularly deals with regulators both in the UK and overseas.
Since qualifying in 2013, Hannah has been seconded to several financial institutions, as well as to a central bank.
- History, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2008
- Qualified in England and Wales 2013
- Clients on perimeter issues, compliance with the FCA Rules and implementation of European legislation, and giving training on various regulatory issues.
- Several large financial institutions - on their implementation of the Senior Managers and Certification Regime.
- Several large UK and third-country clients - on the Second Shareholder Rights Directive (SRD II) and leading the firm's work in this area.
- Several financial institutions - to help them to understand the implication of the FCA and PRA's regulatory rules and expectations on service contracts.
- An international bank - on a complex merger transaction involving the full suite of regulatory advice, including conducting due diligence and preparing change in control applications.
- Several large hedge fund clients - on investments in regulated financial institutions.
- A large financial institution - on its acquisition of a cross-border payment services business.
- Paxos (formerly itBit) - on the development of its gold clearing and settlement platform which supports payments and asset transfers utilising blockchain technology. The platform is designed to enable bullion market participants to transfer title to and perfect security interests in gold instantly through a process involving the digital tokenisation of gold bullion. The project has involved advising on key UK and EU legal and regulatory issues associated with the technology's functionality.
- Working with a number of key clients, including a multinational UK-based credit institution and a French credit institution - to understand the likely impact of Brexit on their ability to continue to provide services and perform activities in Europe / the UK post-Brexit.
- Custodians - reviewing, negotiating and amending custody agreements and settlement documentation and advising on custody and client money issues for both custodians and their clients.
Hannah has deep experience outsourcing in a financial services context, and she created the firm's Outsourcing Toolkit, which helps firms to navigate and implement regulatory requirements in this area.
Publication | November 10, 2023
Podcast | October 25, 2023
Podcast | October 23, 2023