Related services and key industries
Brett McKean is an IP attorney in the Houston office whose practice focuses primarily on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement claims, unfair competition, and trade secret matters. His patent litigation experience includes handling discovery, invalidity contentions, infringement contentions, drafting motions and briefs, and working with experts involving a broad range of technologies in the telecommunications and energy industries, including downlink telemetry systems, fiber optic sensing networks, and downhole tools.
Brett also has significant experience assisting companies in intellectual property transactions and licensing negotiations, including handling all aspects of IP due diligence. He has assisted clients in providing formal opinions concerning potential infringement, validity, and enforceability of client and third party intellectual property, including studying potential issues raised by new product launches.
Brett has represented a wide variety of clients ranging from large multinational corporations to companies with fewer than 20 employees in the Southern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Texas, and the Eastern District of Virginia.
JD, South Texas College of Law, 2007
BS, Electrical Engineering, The University of Texas - Austin, 2003
Brett was admitted to practice law in the State of Texas in 2007, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas in 2011, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in 2013, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in 2016.
- Texas State Bar
- Counseled large energy company regarding patent infringement and patent clearance issues
- Assisted in representation of an international chemicals company in a complex trade secrets dispute involving a method for manufacturing polyethylene
- Assisted in representation of company having extensive patent portfolio covering network communication protocols
"Intellectual Property Issues in Oilfield Services," Institute for Energy Law, 64th Annual Oil and Gas Law Conference, January 2013
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)