Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Related services and key industries
Carlos Campuzano’s practice focuses on power, natural gas and energy regulation, including corporate transactions, due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, public tenders and joint venture deals. Prior to joining private practice, Carlos worked for nine years in a major global energy group as an in-house lawyer focused on the management and expansion of energy projects as well as in the implementation of new ventures and public and private tenders in both the natural gas and power generation business lines. He also advises and assists clients in drafting and negotiating all kinds of power purchase agreements, natural gas supply agreements and other long-term contracts required for power and natural gas projects.
Licenciatura, Derecho, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, 2009
- Representing IIC, IFC, The Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ, Banobras and Bancomext as senior lenders in the US$240 million financing of the 150 MW Solem 1 and 140 MW Solem 2 solar PV projects, located in Aguascalientes, Mexico, which are the first solar projects under Mexico's long-term clean energy auctions to reach financial closing.
- Representing IIC, ICO and MUFG in the project financing of the 92 MW the Conejos Medanos solar project, the 70 MW Guanajuato solar project and the 81 MW Xoxocotla solar project. All three solar projects are located in Mexico and are being developed by X-Elio.
- Represented Grupo Dragón, a Mexican renewable power developer and operator, in the US$94.6 million sale of all of its ownership interests in two wind farm projects located in the States of Jalisco and Chiapas, Mexico. Grupo Dragón remained as operator and construction contractor under O&M and EPC agreements executed as part of the transaction.
- Represented Hanwha Q CELLS in the acquisition and development of the 100 MW Torreón solar PV project, located in Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico, which was awarded a power purchase agreement under Mexico's second long-term clean energy auction.
- Represented Hanwha Q CELLS in the acquisition of the 30 MW San Luis de la Paz solar PV project, its first utility scale renewable energy project acquisition in Mexico, located in the state of Guanajuato.
- Representation of an international developer in the sale and project financing of a portfolio of 8 renewable power projects in Mexico.
- Assisted global cogeneration companies in structuring the business models, drafting, negotiation and execution of power purchase agreements for over 200 MW through long-term contracts in both the grandfathered regime and the new electricity regime.
- Assisted a local construction company regarding its participation in public bids for P3 contracts for the development, operation and maintenance of regional hospitals in the states of Yucatan, Tabasco and Nayarit.
- Assisted gas distribution companies in their participation in public bids for Natural Gas Distribution Zones called by the Energy Regulatory Commission in Mexico.
- Provided legal, regulatory and contractual support for the extension of an open-access natural gas transportation system in the southeast of Mexico, including an engineering, procurement and construction agreement, a transportation services agreement with PGPB and other ancillary agreements.
- Assisted gas distribution companies in their participation in public bids for the acquisition of pipelines from PEMEX and PGPB.
- Assisted a local company in its participation in the public tenders called by the Comisión Federal de Electricidad, for the awarding of a long-term PPA under the external power producer scheme with respect to combined-cycle projects.
- Assisted local and global companies with respect to their participation in Auction SLP. 1/2015 for the sale of clean energy, capacity and clean energy certificates to the Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Recommended lawyer, Mexico: Energy and natural resources, The Legal 500 Latin America, 2019
- Co-author, "Contracts, negotiation and enforcement in Mexico: overview," Practical Law, January 2018
- "Mexico Gears Up for Second Power Auction," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2016
June 18, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Enel on the sale of a majority stake in 1.7 GW of renewables plants in Mexico
October 10, 2017
August 16, 2017
Publication | August 7, 2018
Publication | June 5, 2018
Publication | March 20, 2018
Publication | February 7, 2018