Jeff Joseph Wurzburg
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jeff Joseph WurzburgvCard
Related services and key industries
Jeff J. Wurzburg is a counsel in the San Antonio office of Norton Rose Fulbright and a member of the healthcare practice group. Jeff's practice focuses on health care regulatory, coverage and payment, transaction, compliance, and policy matters. Jeff works with hospital systems, provider groups, accountable care organizations, managed care companies, durable medical equipment suppliers, and other entities on healthcare matters.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Jeff served as an attorney in the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the General Counsel in Washington, D.C., where he advised the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation. He advised on a wide ranging portfolio that included Affordable Care Act regulations, guidance, and litigation and the development and testing of innovative health care payment and service delivery models. His unique experience and expertise makes him well suited to advise clients on implementation, compliance matters, and strategic opportunities related to the Affordable Care Act and healthcare reform.
Jeff is proficient in Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement matters. He provides advice on issues related to state Medicaid programs, Medicare Advantage, the Medicare Shared Savings Program and other value-based reimbursement models. Jeff monitors federal and state healthcare legislation and rulemaking, and communicates policy developments to clients that are relevant to their operations. He works with clients to comply with regulations and policy developments, and assists with implementing strategies to improve operations.
Jeff has presented at national conferences and conducted webinars on Medicare and Medicaid, healthcare reform, value-based reimbursement, network adequacy, Affordable Care Act litigation, and premium stabilization programs. Jeff serves as the Chair of the American Health Lawyers Association Payers, Plans, and Managed Care Managed Care Contracting Affinity Group and a Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association Health Law Section Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law conference. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas Health Law Section Council.
Jeff is a frequent contributor to Norton Rose Fulbright's healthcare law blog, the Health Law Pulse.
LL.M., Health Law and Policy, American University - Washington College of Law, 2012
JD, Drake Law School, 2005
BA, Political Science, English minor, Indiana University, 2003
Jeff was a Deans Fellow to Professor Corrine Parver while at American University Washington College of Law. While at Drake Law School, Jeff was involved in the American Constitution Society and the Student Bar Association. During his time at Indiana University, he was a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- District of Columbia Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- Attorney with the United States Department of Health and Human Services Office of the General Counsel, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Division (CMSD), Program Review Group
- Worked closely with CMS on a variety of program review matters related to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including regulations and guidance related to 1332 waivers, Affordable Insurance Exchanges, network adequacy, the premium stabilization programs, and insurance affordability programs
- Assisted with litigation involving the ACA such as King v. Burwell, House v. Burwell, and matters relating to the risk adjustment and risk corridors programs
- Advised the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation on the development and testing of innovative health care payment and service delivery models
- Served as an Associate Deputy General Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel at the Department of Defense, where he worked on civil litigation related to the operation of the military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- Jeff began his career on Capitol Hill and worked for Senator Evan Bayh and was a legal fellow for Representative Henry Waxman.
- Recipient of Anti-Defamation League Daniel R. Ginsberg National Leadership Award
- Co-author, "In Search of Certainty: An Update on the Exchanges", ABA eSource, October 2017
- Co-author, "Healthcare Reform: Considerations for Managed Care in a Time of Uncertainty", ABA eSource, March 2017
- Medicaid Fundamentals–A look at the Medicaid Program: Past, Present, and Future, American Health Lawyers Association Fundamentals of Health Law Conference, November 11, 2018
- What's Happening in D.C., Norton Rose Fulbright Healthcare M&A and Private Equity Conference, October 10, 2018
- Narrow and Tiered Provider Networks from a Legal and Data Analytics Perspective, American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, June 26-27, 2018
- Looking at the Road Ahead for Medicare and Medicaid; ACI Managed Care and Disputes Litigation Conference, May 18, 2018
- Co-presenter, "Washington Healthcare Update: The Legal Landscape for the Healthcare and Life Science Industries After the First Year of the Trump Administration," Norton Rose Fulbright Fourteenth Annual Health Law Symposium, Austin, TX, January 25, 2018
- Narrow and Tiered Provider Networks: What Plans and Providers Need to Know, AHLA Webinar, December 13, 2017
- Shifting to Value-Based Reimbursement - The Current State of Play in Medicare and the Private Market, American Health Lawyers Association Institute for Health Plan Counsel, November 14, 2017
- It's Complicated! The Current State of Healthcare Reform, Texas Health Law Conference, October 23, 2017
- United States Department of Health and Human Services: An Overview and Update on Federal Healthcare Reform, 2017 University of Texas System Legal Conference, September 29, 2017
- Risk Adjustment: Lessons for the Medicare Advantage and Commercial Markets, BlueCross BlueShield Association Legal Department National Teleconference Series, April 26, 2017
- A Market in Transition - The Evolution of Federal Regulatory Requirements for the Commercial Market in 2017, American Health Lawyers Association Institute for Health Plan Counsel, December 9, 2016
- Health Reform 2016 - An Examination of the Transformation of Health Care Policy at the Federal Level and Insights Into Successful Navigation of the Changing Landscape, Texas Health Law Conference, October 10, 2016
- Defining Network Adequacy in the Age of the ACA, American Health Lawyers Association Institute for Health Plan Counsel, October 27, 2015
- A Lone Star Look at the Affordable Care Act in 2015, Texas Health Law Conference, October 12, 2015
- What I Wish I Had Known, Department of Health and Human Services Office of the General Counsel New Attorney Training, August 12, 2015
- Five Principles for Representing High Profile Clients, Department of Health and Human Services Office of the General Counsel New Attorney Training, September 10, 2014 and April 28, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act – A 2015 Examination, 125th Annual Meeting of the Virginia Bar Association, January 24, 2015
- Health Reform Update, Virginia Bar Association 2014 Health Law Roundtable, November 14, 2014
- The Affordable Care Act: A Health Reform Update, Virginia Bar Association 2014 Annual Meeting, January 24, 2014
- The Affordable Care Act: An Introduction, 2013 Virginia Bar Association Health Law Roundtable, November 15, 2013
- Anti - Defamation League, Regional Board Member
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Chair, Payers, Plans, and Managed Care Practice Group, Managed Care Contracting Affinity Group 2018-2019
- Vice-Chair, Payers, Plans, and Managed Care Practice Group, Medicare Advantage and Part D Affinity Group 2017-2018
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Conference Committee Vice-Chair, Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, 2016 - 2019
- Jewish Federation of San Antonio
- Participant in Emerging Leadership Course 2017-2018
- State Bar of Texas Health Law Section
- San Antonio Bar Association