Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Chapter 11 debtor and trustee representation
- Financial institutions, funds and creditor representation
- Litigation and disputes
- Official creditors' committee representation
Key industry sectors
Jason Blanchard focuses his practice on advising businesses and their stakeholders in all aspects of commercial bankruptcy cases and out of court restructurings. He represents a wide range of clients in financially distressed situations, including debtors, lenders, creditors' committees, secured and unsecured creditors, purchasers of financially distressed assets, and court appointed fiduciaries. Additionally, Jason has significant bankruptcy litigation experience, having represented plaintiffs and defendants in complex avoidance actions, contested matters in bankruptcy cases, and bankruptcy appeals.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Jason was an associate with the restructuring group of an AmLaw 100 firm based in New York. Previously, Jason served as law clerk to the Honorable Alan S. Trust, Chief United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Eastern District of New York.
- JD, Brooklyn Law School
- Honors: Articles Editor, Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law
- BS, Management, Tulane University, A.B. Freeman School of Business
- Awards: Distinguished Scholar Award
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
Some of Jason's representative matters include the following:
- Debtor's counsel to Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, Inc., one of the oldest and largest generation and transmission cooperatives in Texas, in its chapter 11 case in the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
- Counsel to senior living facility in out of court workout of $230 million of indebtedness.
- Debtor's co-counsel to health care sharing ministry as debtor-in-possession in its chapter 11 case before the Delaware Bankruptcy Court*
- Debtor's counsel to owner and operators of an oil refinery based in the US Virgin Islands in their chapter 11 cases before the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court*
- Debtor's counsel to retail electricity business and its affiliated companies in their chapter 11 cases before the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court*
- Represented the Coordinating Committee of Secured Agents and ECAs in connection with the pre-negotiated chapter 11 restructuring of Altera Infrastructure L.P.
- Represented the official committee of tort claimants in the chapter 11 cases of a California utility company and its parent company before the Northern District of California Bankruptcy Court*
- Represented of one of the largest clinical diagnostic laboratories in the U.S. as a creditor related to the breach of its patients' data caused by a chapter 11 debtor in the Southern District of New York*
- Represented lender in connection with its exit lending facilities in the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court and the District of Hawaii Bankruptcy Court*
- Represented the trustee for the Securities Investor Protection Act liquidation of a security brokerage firm, in disputes involving customer claims and the litigation of avoidance actions and motions to withdraw the reference*
- Represented reorganized debtor, the owner and operator of frac sand plants and quarries, in breach of contract and declaratory judgment action in Delaware Bankruptcy Court*
- Represented investment management company in contesting an objection to its claims by the post-confirmation liquidating trustee in the Northern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court*
- Represented real estate developer in obtaining dismissal of liquidating trustee's fraudulent conveyance lawsuit and successfully defending an appeal before the Southern District of New York Bankruptcy and District Courts*
* Reflects experience prior to joining NRF
- Best Lawyers - Ones to Watch, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Best Lawyers, 2023-2024 (conferred by Best Lawyers)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star, Bankruptcy: Business, Super Lawyers, 2022 (conferred by Thomson Reuters)
Learn more about the descriptions of the selection methodologies for rankings and recognitions. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Co-author, "Alto Maipo: Delaware Ruling Poses Jurisdictional Challenges for Chapter 11 Debtors," Global Restructuring Review, September 2022.
- "Buyer Beware, Tax Lien Certificates May Be Avoided as Preferences in the Third Circuit," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 29 No. 4, August 2020
- Co-author, "Momentive and the Efficient Market Test: Another Appellate Court's Take on Cramdown Interest Under a Chapter 11 Plan but the Standard is Still Obscure," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 27 No. 3, July 2018
- Co-author, "So, What Happens when Unsecured Creditors Exercise their Right to Elect a Trustee?" The Federal Lawyer, January/February 2016
- Co-author, "The Outer Limits of Objections to Recognition in Chapter 15 Cases? The Public Policy Exception and Bad Faith," ABI International Committee Newsletter, Spring 2014
- "Keeping Trade Creditors in the Loop: Can a Chapter 11 Debtor Confirm a Plan of Reorganization When it Owes More Money Than Its Property is Worth?" The Federal Lawyer, January/February 2013
- "Restructurings and Insolvency Proceedings in Canada and the United States" Client Presentation, September 19, 2023
- "Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Litigation Program" Federal Bar Association, June 24, 2015
- Turnaround Management Association, NextGen Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
US restructuring team successfully represents Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. in its Chapter 11 case
January 17, 2023
September 29, 2022
August 24, 2022
Blog | July 27, 2023
Blog | April 26, 2023
Publication | Q4 2022