Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Esther Clovis is an associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's New York office. She has assisted clients address issues regarding the general operation of their data protection and privacy programs through both proactive and reactive measures. She has experience in identifying and defining data classification models, drafting corresponding memoranda for companywide use, reviewing clients' data retention practices, and creating new corresponding policies in accordance with relevant laws and best practices. She has also assisted global clients identify risks relevant to cross-border transfers of personal information and other data. Additionally, Esther is familiar with drafting clients' internal and external policies, standards, procedures, guidelines and website policies and terms in accordance with the with CCPA, CPRA, GDPR and other relevant state and federal laws.
Prior to joining the firm, she served as lead associate for numerous matters involving data breaches and other incident responses. Additionally, she assisted with the defense of privacy class actions on a variety of claims, including breach of contract, breach of warranty, negligence, breach of state privacy laws and the TCPA, FCRA and the Wiretap Act. Esther also served a judicial law clerk to the Honourable L. Felipe Restrepo on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- JD, University of Pennsylvania , 2017
- AB, Sociology, Princeton University, 2012
While in law school, Esther was an senior editor for the Journal of Constitutional Law, an executive editor of the Journal of Law and Public Affairs, the executive director of Penn Law Advocates for the Homeless and a member of the Black Law Students Association. She received the Sadie T.M. Alexander Scholarship which recognizes a first-year law student for excellence in academics and community service.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented defendants in a class action alleging violations of the Wiretap Act by hospitals through their website patient portals
- Represented defendant in a class action alleging, inter alia, violations of the Wiretap Act by a technology company through televisions and other manufactured electronics
- Represented several companies following data breaches
- Assisted an international company with developing a comprehensive privacy program to establish compliance with the GDPR, the CCPA and multiple African privacy laws
- Assisted multiple Fortune 500 companies maintain compliance with the CCPA and other emerging state privacy laws