Related services and key industries
Aditya Badami's practice focuses on insolvency, financial restructuring, and complex business litigation.
He also teaches law at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law.
As an insolvency and restructuring lawyer, Aditya works on a team to advise debtors, creditors, receivers and monitors in Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act proceedings.
As a securities litigator, he has experience in representing boards of directors in options backdating disputes and in securities class actions.
He previously practised law at international law firms in Toronto and Calgary.
- J.D., University of Toronto, 2012
- B.A. (Hons.), McGill University, 2009
- Ontario 2013
- Alberta 2014
Mr. Badami has acted recently for the following clients:
- Ernst & Young, Alvarez & Marsal, and FTI Consulting Canada Inc. in various CCAA restructurings and BIA receiverships, including the Reid Built, Twin Butte, LGX, and Regent proceedings
- Alberta Treasury Branches and National Bank of Canada in various receiverships, including the Northpoint, Kinwest, and Waldron proceedings
- Brookfield Asset Management in defending a lawsuit appealled to the Supreme Court of Canada
- TELUS in connection with various disputes
- TransAlta in connection with various disputes and legal opinions
- The University of Calgary in defence of an injunction brought by the students’ union in connection with use and ownership of MacEwan Hall
- Shell Canada in connection with various appellate proceedings related to significant energy projects before the Federal Court of Canada
- Various insurers in respect of coverage opinions
- "The Priority of Municipal Tax Claims in Receiverships: Addressing a Vexing Issue for the Courts and Practitioners," Annual Review of Insolvency Law 2018.
- "Civility: A Cornerstone Upholding Respect for the Administration of Justice and the Rule of Law," Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2017.
- "What You Don't Say Binds You -- The Latest Chapter in the Ongoing Clash between the CCAA and the Alberta Energy Regulator," National Insolvency Review, 2016.
- "Just Restraint: R v NS," Volume XIX, No. 3, Charter and Human Rights Litigation, 2013.
- "The West Divided? A Snapshot of Human Rights and Transatlantic Relations at the United Nations," Human Rights Review, 2010.
- Annual Review of Insolvency Law - Panel speaker on municipal tax priority in insolvency
- Canadian Bar Association - Panel speaker on diversity in the legal profession
- Wordfest - Panel moderator at "Sane Takes on an Insane World" event
- Sessional Lecturer, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Council - Alberta Branch
- Editorial Committee (Law Matters)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of Alberta
- WordFest, Member of the Board of Directors
- Summit Leaders, Member of the Board of Directors
Publication | April 2016
Joint operations in stormy markets: strategies to mitigate risk arising from joint-operator insolvency
Publication | April 2016