Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jeffrey Kang helps innovative companies create and execute IP strategies that build value and reduce risk. He also architects and builds IP portfolios, develops IP commercialization strategies, and assists in seeding and cultivating IP culture.
Mr. Kang applies his legal, technical, and industry experience to help clients protect their IP by creating strategies aligned with business objectives and designing IP portfolios to target defined outcomes such as strategic partnerships, fundraising, or IP defence, typically using a combination of patents, trademarks, trade secrets. He also helps clients with practical matters such as rolling out IP programs, and communicating IP value to stakeholders such as company boards, strategic partners, and prospective investors. As a registered patent agent, Mr. Kang's practice also includes drafting and prosecuting patent applications.
From 2015 to 2018, Mr. Kang served as the director of IP for a Silicon Valley-based start-up that develops new hardware tech and software for mobile devices. In this role, he created and executed an IP strategy that secured the company's IP position relative to mobile tech giants, and helped the company win strategic partnerships and millions of dollars in venture capital.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Kang completed undergraduate and graduate studies in computer engineering, electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering. He has extensive experience in data communications, data analysis, digital systems, medical devices, machine vision, and AI.
J.D. (Hons.), University of Toronto, 2010
M.A.Sc., Electrical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, 2006
B.Sc., Computer Engineering, University of New Brunswick, 2003
- United States (patents) 2014
- Canada (patents) 2013
- Canada (trademarks) 2013
- Ontario 2011
- "Bootstrapping an IP Program at an Innovative Company," Ontario Bar Association, November 2019.
- "Protecting the Value of Data in Collaborations", Inside Tech Law, September 2019.
- "The Importance of Establishing an Intellectual Property Strategy," Optonique, May 2019.
- "Bootstrapping an IP Program at an Innovative Company," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Online Webinar, October 2019.
- "Ask an Expert," Discovery 2019 conference, Ontario Centres of Excellence, Toronto, May 2019.
- "Building an IP Culture," Photonics North 2019, Quebec City, May 2019.