Related services and key industries
Rachel Rosenfeld’s practice focuses on the representation of public and private entities in domestic and international project financing and energy projects.
JD, with distinction, Global law scholar, Pro bono pledge honoree, Georgetown University Law Center, 2014
BA, cum laude, Claremont McKenna College, 2008
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
International Project Finance and Corporate
- Ongoing representation of a development finance institution and commercial banks with respect to a 150 MW solar PV power plant in Chile.
- Ongoing representation of the International Finance Corporation with respect to the financing of sugar cane planting operations and related social programs in Brazil.
- Ongoing representation of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica, Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. and Finnish Fund for Industrial Cooperation Ltd. on the financing of ten 10 MW solar PV power plants and related assets located in various provinces of the Republic of El Salvador.
- Ongoing representation of the International Finance Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica, Bancolombia, Banco General and other lenders on the financing of the US$1 billion Colón LNG to Power Project in Panama, sponsored by The AES Corporation and Inversiones Bahía. The project is the largest combined-cycle power project (350 MW) and the first LNG import Terminal to be built in Panama.
- Ongoing representation of the International Finance Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica and OPEC Fund for International Development on post-closing matters with respect to the approximately US$150 million of senior secured loan facilities for a portfolio of utility-scale solar projects in Honduras and the sale of the solar projects to a new sponsor.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation, European Investment Bank, and OPEC Fund for International Development on post-closing matters with respect to the 177 MW wind farm in Jordan, the first independent renewable energy project in Jordan and Project Finance Magazine's "Middle Eastern Renewables Deal of the Year 2013."
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation in connection with a US$47 million direct loan to support a 20 MW grid-connected solar photovoltaic facility in Clarendon, Jamaica. The project is being developed by Tampa, Florida-based WRB Enterprises.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation and the International Finance Corporation with respect to the BMR Jamaica Wind Project, a 36.3 MW wind farm in Jamaica.
- Represented the Inter-American Development Bank on post-closing matters with respect to the US$75 million credit guarantee for the Rutas del Pacífico Toll Road Project in Chile.
- Represented Corporacion Andina de Fomento with respect to amendments to a loan agreement and sales agreement between entities in Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay.
Domestic Project Finance and Corporate
- Represented Ormat Technologies, Inc., an international geothermal energy developer, in connection with equity financing and general corporate matters. A recent transaction is the sale of membership interests in ORPD LLC, a limited liability company that owns five Ormat geothermal power and recovered energy projects throughout the United States, to an affiliate of Northleaf Capital Partners, a Canadian investment firm.
- Represented the US Department of Energy in connection with guaranteed loans to the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia for the financing of the 2,214 MW Vogtle nuclear power project in Georgia.
- Represented the lender on the financing of a 20 MW grid-connected, ground-mounted solar photovoltaic generating facility in Georgia.
- Represented a consortium of lenders on the financing of the 674 MW combined-cycle Salem Harbor Power Station in Salem, Massachusetts.
- Ongoing representation of a nonprofit corporation engaged in protecting and assisting underage survivors of sex trafficking regarding a variety of matters, including corporate organization and governance and commercial agreements.
- Ongoing representation of a nonprofit with respect to structuring grants to a targeted region in Guatemala
- Preparation of a Violence Against Women Act self-petition for a client and related follow-up on this matter
- Represented a nonprofit corporation engaged in providing vocational training to women in India using beauty as a tool for sustainable income with respect to obtaining tax-exempt status.
- Represented a nonprofit foundation founded by an Oscar®-winning actor and UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador regarding a variety of matters, including corporate organization and governance, commercial agreements and employment.
- Represented a nonprofit corporation focused on addressing global water challenges with respect to governance and corporate organization.
- Jaworski Award for Pro Bono Excellence, 2018
- "Off the Grid in Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2017
- "Powering Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2013
- "The European Union Aviation Directive and US Resistance: A Deadlock on Aviation Emissions Control," Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, 2013
- Editor-in-chief, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
- Member, Moot Court Appellate Advocacy team, competing in the Inter-American Sustainable Development Competition, held in Bogota, Colombia and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Student attorney, Social Enterprise and Nonprofit Clinic, 2014
- Legal intern, US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Washington, DC, 2013
- Research assistant, Harrison Institute for Public Law, Policy Clinic, 2012-2013
- Legal intern, Executive Office of the President, Office of Science and Technology Policy, 2012
- Legal intern, US Department of Energy, Office of the General Counsel, Litigation and Enforcement, 2012
- Honors paralegal, US Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, 2009-2011
- Certificate in International Business Practice, University of Cambridge, 2009