Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Christy Rivera's practice focuses on transactional and advisory work for project developers, commodities trading companies, lenders and other investors in connection with project development and finance, with a focus on renewables. She has significant experience advising financial institutions and energy companies in a range of transactions, including commodity and derivatives transactions, asset dispositions, project and receivables financings, and securitizations. Christy also has extensive experience assisting lenders and other creditors in financial restructurings, both in and out of court.
JD, New York University School of Law, 2001
BA, University of Michigan, 1998
- New York State Bar
- Representing commodity hedge providers in hedging and derivatives transactions for multiple projects.
- Represents Delaware Trust, as indenture trustee and a member of the creditors' committee in the iHeartMedia bankruptcy cases.
- Represented NextEra Energy in connection with its attempted acquisition of Energy Future Holdings Corp. and Oncor through a merger transaction with an enterprise value of approximately US$18.4 billion.
- Representing lenders to various SunEdison project companies in connection with the SunEdison bankruptcy cases.
- Representing Delaware Trust, as indenture trustee and a member of the creditors' committee in the CHC Group bankruptcy cases.
- Represented Tesla/SolarCity in several securitizations of cash flows from distributed solar generation systems.
- Represented Dividend Finance in multiple securitizations of solar loans originated through the Dividend Finance platform to consumers for the purchase and installation of residential solar generation systems and in warehouse facilities for Dividend's solar loan portfolio
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$4.025 billion financing of Train Two of the US$11 billion Freeport LNG liquefaction and export project located in Freeport, Texas.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$6 billion Phase II financing of the US$12 billion four-train Sabine Pass LNG liquefaction and export project located in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$3.6 billion Phase I financing for the first two LNG trains at the Sabine Pass LNG liquefaction and export project.
- Represented a large insurance company in litigation relating to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Represented CSC Trust Company of Delaware, as indenture trustee and as a member of the creditors' committee in the Savient Pharmaceuticals bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the former Chief Bankruptcy Judge Arthur J. Gonzalez (S.D.N.Y.) in his capacity as the court-appointed examiner in the ResCap bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the creditors' committee in the Tribune Media Company bankruptcy cases.
- Represented HSBC Bank, as indenture trustee and as a member of the creditors' committee in the AbitibiBowater Inc. bankruptcy cases.
- Represented HSBC Bank, as indenture trustee in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Represented numerous creditors, counterparties and account holders in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases and related SIPA proceeding.
- Represented the ad hoc committee of swap counterparties in the restructuring of the monoline bond insurance company, ACA Financial Guaranty Corporation.
- Represented numerous account holders with approximately US$500 million of exposure in the Refco, Inc. bankruptcy cases.
- Represented The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in the Enron bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the St. Paul Travelers Company, Inc., as surety in the Asarco and Bethlehem Steel bankruptcy cases.
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Finance - Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate, The Legal 500, 2018
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018 - 2019
- "Rising Star," New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2015
- "Second Circuit Provides Clear Guidance to Market on Scope of Permissible Acts under Trust Indenture Act Section 316(b)," Client Alert, January 30, 2017
- "The Trust Indenture Act: What is all the Fuss About?," International Restructuring NewsWire (Republished in Law360), Winter 2016
- “Federal Court Strikes Down Puerto Rico’s Recovery Act as Unconstitutional,” Client Alert, February 11, 2015
- "Puerto Rico Claims Authority to Nonconsensually Restructure Public Corporation Debt," Client Alert, July 7, 2014
- "Second Circuit Makes Challenging Implemented Plans More Difficult," International Restructuring NewsWire, March 2013
- "Can A Claims Purchaser Acquire Claims Free of Defects?," International Restructuring NewsWire, June 2012
- "Another Derivatives Dispute Resolved In Favor Of Lehman," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2011
- "Lehman Brothers: Limiting the Safe Harbors," (co-author), International Restructuring NewsWire, April 2010
- "Under'standing' a Creditor's Rights to Bring Actions Against Corporate Officers and Directors," International Restructuring NewsWire, September 2007
- "Recent Decision Puts Added Disclosure Pressure on Unofficial Committees," (co-author), International Restructuring NewsWire, September 2007
- "Are There Any Limits to Mandatory Subordination Under Section 510(b) of the Bankruptcy Code?," (co-author), Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, March 2007
- "Are Subsidiaries Really Bankruptcy Remote?," Project Finance NewsWire, (co-author), October 2005
- Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA) Webinar, New York, NY, July 12, 2016
- "Tips for Trustees: Out of Court Restructuring and the Trust Indenture Act," New York, NY, March 9, 2016
- Puerto Rico's New Public Corporation Debt Enforcement and Recovery Act – Restructuring Legislation for Commonwealth Instrumentalities Webinar, New York, NY, July 28, 2014
- Ms. Rivera is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Women Lawyers.