Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, Norton Rose Fulbright New York lawyers serve a broad client base including large publicly-held corporations, investment banking and brokerage firms, venture capital and leveraged buy-out firms, investment funds, private equity and institutional investors, life science, high-technology and other emerging growth companies, privately-held companies, partnerships, individuals, estates and charitable organizations and foundations.
Our New York corporate lawyers are leaders in providing innovative advice in complex transactions. Our corporate team carefully guide our clients through the legal issues that affect not only their ability to obtain financing, but also to maintain their operations in today's highly competitive, high-speed business environment. Our skill and commitment to service span many industries including software, biotechnology, telecommunications and the internet, healthcare, business services and retail products. Our corporate lawyers are particularly active in:
Mergers and acquisitions
- representation of issuers and underwriters in initial and secondary public offerings of equity and debt securities
- venture capital fund formation and portfolio investments
- formation and representation of high technology companies that have grown into large organizations
- private equity funds, including leveraged buy-out and venture funds
- insurance regulatory representations, including financings, mergers and acquisitions, securitization transactions, BOLI/COLI programs, sureties and financial guaranties, as well as public and private capital markets and alternative capital market deals
Dispute resolution and litigation
Our New York litigation team is dedicated to helping clients resolve business disputes effectively and efficiently. Our New York litigators are well-equipped to do battle in the courtroom when necessary and also skilled in the arts of counseling and negotiation. Our litigation practice strive to understand the client's goals and achieve them cost-effectively, creatively and professionally in teamwork with the client.
Our New York litigators handle a wide variety of contested matters in court, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution broadly categorized as follows:
- defense of federal securities law claims
- antitrust and competition cases
- unfair competition lawsuits
- internal corporate investigations
- Attorney General actions and investigations
- US Dept of Justice actions and investigations
- Federal Trade Commission actions and investigations
- grand jury investigations
- SEC, NYSE and NASD investigations
- customer and co-member arbitrations
- corporate and individual contract disputes
- general commercial matters including UCC
- banking lender liability claims
- bank regulatory compliance and investigations
- real estate foreclosures and lien and easement disputes
Employment and labor
Our New York labor and employment team runs the gamut from traditional labor litigation, representing employers in relation to unions, to defending employers against discrimination claims. This service includes the representation of employers in:
- age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation and disability discrimination claims
- sexual and racial harassment
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission proceedings
- New York State and New York City Human Rights administrative agency proceedings
- National Labor Relations Board proceedings
- labor arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements
- challenges to employment termination
- Fair Labor Standards Act Claims
- Plant Closing Act claims
Our New York employee benefits/executive compensation team provides comprehensive tax- and ERISA-oriented benefits and compensation services, with particular emphasis on creative planning for executives and other high income earners. The group works closely with other lawyers as part of the firm's transactional and securities teams and directly with general business, financial services and individual clients of the firm in connection with a broad range of matters, including:
- tax-qualified pension and profit sharing plans and 401(k) arrangements and multiple qualified plan constructs designed to maximize tax-favored retirement savings for high-income earners.
- tax-oriented "non-qualified" deferred compensation plans and funding arrangements
- equity-based compensation arrangements, including stock option, stock bonus, ESOP, restricted stock, phantom stock and employee stock purchase plans and agreements
- executive employment, change in control and separation/termination agreements
- compensation and benefit plan issues in corporate merger, acquisition, spin-off, financing and other transactions
- start-up and pre-IPO compensation strategies
- prototype defined contribution plan and IRA design and marketing
- welfare and fringe benefit plans and arrangements
- ERISA fiduciary and prohibited transaction issues relating both to investments made by plan fiduciaries and to investment funds, products and services marketed to IRAs and employee plans
- compliance with ERISA, COBRA, Internal Revenue Code, securities law and other legal requirements applicable to benefit and compensation plans and arrangements
- representation before IRS, DOL and PBGC regarding agency audits and investigations, voluntary compliance, plan termination, prohibited transaction exemption requests and other proceedings
- income tax and estate planning strategies for executives and other high income or high net worth individuals, including IRA and retirement plan distribution planning, split dollar life insurance and other individual arrangements
Our equipment finance team is well known domestically and internationally for its experience with US and cross-border leasing and financing of commercial and corporate aircraft, rail, manufacturing, mass transit and other equipment.
Insolvency and restructuring
Our New York bankruptcy team represents creditors and debtors in workouts, reorganizations and liquidations. Our bankruptcy lawyers regularly represent secured lenders, banks, creditors committees and investors in major cases throughout the Northeast and Midwest and is especially adept at the litigation aspects of Chapter 11. Our bankruptcy work includes:
- pre-bankruptcy workouts
- chapter 11 reorganizations
- structuring secured transactions
- protecting intellectual property is integral to a company's business.
- our New York IP lawyers provide counsel in all areas of IP law for clients with properties ranging from established to emerging technologies, the life sciences, literary, artistic and other properties.
- trade secrets
- unfair competition
- IP litigation
- technology transfer and licensing
Our international lawyers represent US clients in international business activities and non-US-based clients in US investments, including non-US-based commercial banks, investment banks and investment groups. The international team has included significant acquisitions by non-US-based buyers of US corporations, US securities offerings by non-US-based firms and the establishment of US subsidiaries for non-US-based corporations.
Our international team includes representing foreign companies in:
- public and private financings
- antitrust issues
- venture capital
- private investment funds
- organizational and restructuring activities
- early stage business strategies and financings
- marketing and distribution agreements
- employment agreements
- intellectual property-related matters
Our New York lawyers have a time-proven history of representing Israeli entrepreneurs and businesses in connection with their activities in the US.
We represent companies with shares that are publicly-traded on exchanges in the United States, as well as investment banks involved in Israeli-related transactions. Our lawyers are widely noted for their corporate finance achievements, and we have acted for both issuers and underwriters in many public offerings for Israel-based companies.
Our municipal securities team represents clients in financings by state and local government, including financings of privately-owned projects that qualify for tax-exempt financing. We act as bond counsel, disclosure counsel and general counsel to issuers and also represents underwriters, financial advisors, institutional purchasers, banks, insurers, borrowers, developers, corporate trustees, investment contract providers and interest swap providers, among others.
In the past five years, we have had one of the nation's ten most active bond counsel teams. We have participated in numerous municipal securities offerings to finance states and local governments, public power, municipal enterprises, transportation, public improvements, schools, health care, housing, economic and industrial development and special facilities.
Our New York real estate team represents partnerships, corporations, joint ventures and individuals in connection with commercial, industrial and residential real estate. Clients include lenders, borrowers, landlords, tenants and developers of office buildings, shopping centers and other complexes. Representation of major financial institutions in real estate transactions and restructurings is a primary area of our real estate experience. Our real estate lawyers provide representation regarding:
- construction loans
- permanent or term loans
- revolving credit
- troubled real estate loans
- creditor's rights enforcement and litigation
Norton Rose Fulbright's New York tax lawyers work closely with other teams and are involved in planning and structuring corporate, individual and partnership transactions. Our tax lawyers also offer advice on the structuring of investments by foreign persons.
Our tax lawyers also have substantial experience in representing clients in controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, state tax authorities, the US Tax Court and other federal courts.
Trusts and estates
Norton Rose Fulbright's New York trusts and estates team represents individuals in matters involving tax-sensitive estate planning for privately-held business organizations, supervising estate and trust administration, representing private and public charitable organizations and handling related litigation.
- For the eleventh year, we were chosen as one of the top 25 corporate legal practices in the nation. Corporate Board Member, 2012