Technological innovation, regulatory reforms and regulatory scrutiny and enforcement actions continue to challenge the banking industry. These factors have caused a shift towards consolidation, a refocus on core businesses, risk and compliance management and digital transformation. This shift is to enable banks to generate new revenue streams, efficiencies and a strong balance sheet, while complying with ever-changing regulatory requirements.
Our lawyers have extensive experience advising on high-level and complex cross-border assignments, as well as on day-to-day transactions. We act for the world’s leading global banks and development banks in the emerging markets, as well as broker-dealers, investment banks and other financial service institutions in several key areas including:
Our team is closely involved in global regulatory reform and has extensive experience working in the industry with the most prominent financial services regulators. This gives us real insight into how banks operate and how the regulators think and work, as well as how regulatory policy is formed, turned into legislation and then supervised.
Our government relations and public policy (GRPP) team offers a unique mix of policy, process and sectorial knowledge to help clients gain traction in the legislative process by aligning their advocacy and lobbying with its business and legal objectives. We have advised on conduct, market and prudential regulation which is a top priority for global banking groups.
Risk and compliance
A robust, sustainable and risk-based framework of controls is a prerequisite, not only to maintain compliance with regulatory obligations, but to ensure that emerging risks are identified and assessed with appropriate mitigating actions being taken. Our regulatory compliance consulting lawyers have advised on a range of sophisticated, cross-border compliance, regulatory, and risk control matters.
FinTech start-ups and digital banks are challenging the traditional banking model. Banks must innovate to remain relevant and embrace new technology which is delivering opportunities for them on an unprecedented scale. Our global FinTech practice has extensive experience working with banks on their investment in and deployment of FinTech as well as their participation in industry consortia. With our strong combination of technical, sector and regulatory experience, we help our clients capitalize on the transformative potential of these new technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain and smart contracts, while ensuring compliance with the rapidly changing regulatory landscape.
Our areas of work include
- Asset-based lending and financing
- Banking regulation
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
- Capital markets, including debt and equity
- Change in control
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment and labor
- Financial crime
- FinTech and RegTech
- Government relations and public policy
- Individual accountability, including senior management and corporate governance
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Islamic finance
- Market conduct and benchmarks
- Market infrastructure and post-trade
- Merger control
- New product launches
- Regulation and investigations, including broker deal, consumer and mortgage, derivatives, payment services, prudential, regulatory risk, securities and compliance
- Renewables and sustainability
- Risk and compliance consulting
- Sanctions and export controls, including anti-money laundering
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- Sourcing and technology
- Structured trade and commodity finance
- WTO and international trade
Awards and accolades
- Chambers USA, Texas: Banking & Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2019