For more than 90 years, we have had a reputation for excellence as a top-tier dispute resolution and litigation practice in the US.
Our lawyers target client objectives at the earliest stage of litigation to ensure that our efforts are properly and efficiently focused on achieving the desired outcome.
Our successful track record and global reputation has been built on aggressive, thorough and ethical representation based upon the highest professional standards. This approach has earned the respect of our peers, clients and adversaries.
In an era when the number of trials has diminished sharply—and a percentage of those cases tried by large firms has diminished even more—we continue to try a large number of cases.
There is virtually no type of case that we have not handled.
Our areas of work include:
- breach of contract
- interference with contracts and other business torts
- professional negligence
- product liability
- white collar crime
- the right solution for the client: our lawyers develop a strategy targeting the right solution for each client, given the specific circumstances of each case.
- litigating efficiently: we have a proven track record of using thoughtful creativity to simplify and streamline our processes. We are also leaders in developing innovative work tools. Our resources for litigating efficiently include:
- client dashboard: our client dashboard makes case-specific information readily accessible to clients on a confidential basis, including contact information, key dates, pending tasks, status updates, budget and spend to date.
- budgeting - Engage: as we and our clients lay out engagement requirements, scope and initial strategy, we use Engage, the firm’s budgeting tool, to create comprehensive project plans and budgets, including complex alternative fee arrangements. Engage generates reports that detail the current budget-to-actual spend, resulting in greater transparency for our clients.
- legal project management: to ensure value through all phases of litigation, we apply legal project management and right-sized staffing. Our client teams collaborate to develop litigation project plans and process maps, with a continued focus on containing costs and achieving results.
- case management framework: our lawyers have developed a case management framework that incorporates practical tools, technology, practice tips, forms and templates, checklists, and preferred vendor relationships. This proprietary framework allows our lawyers to focus their efforts on developing and executing case strategy, collaborating with our clients, and tailoring our representation to meet our clients’ needs and desired outcomes.
- lawyer training: we invest heavily in training all of our litigation associates in dispute resolution strategies—everything from summary judgment motions, to mediation, to trial.
- advanced technology: our e-discovery practice is one of the most well known in the US and includes practitioners that are highly experienced in e-discovery, litigation readiness, privacy, cross-border data transfer, document retention and offline data remediation.
- tracking of litigation trends: since its inception in 2004, our Annual Litigation Trends Survey of senior corporate counsel in the US and the UK has become a much anticipated event throughout the legal profession and the media. Information gained from our survey enables us to be proactive in providing resources that help our clients deal with the challenges identified in the survey. Developed to tap the pulse of general counsel on key issues and trends in the legal world, our Litigation Trends Survey is another way we deliver value to clients and those who track the legal landscape.
Our recent work
- Represented one of the largest energy companies in the world after an explosion had resulted in 15 deaths, hundreds of injuries and major property damage. A strategy was adopted early to resolve the death and serious injury cases, while striking a delicate balance between wanting to compensate fairly without protracted litigation. With massive liabilities at stake for our client, we successfully resolved 3,500+ claims in less than four years with no trials going to verdict.
- Assisted one of the largest international oil and natural gas service companies in a dispute over drilling contracts brought in US court by Mexico’s national oil company. We won dismissal after a full evidentiary hearing with expert witnesses on parent-subsidiary control and Mexican law.
- Advised a major brokerage company in an arbitration before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) that sought US$26 million in damages for breach of contract, fraudulent acts, account misrepresentations and gross negligence stemming from trading activity for its account in October 2008. After hearing testimony from nine fact and expert witnesses over the four-day arbitration, a panel ruled in our client’s favor.
- When a consortium of banks wanted to sue one of the largest privately held home builders in the US for absconding with over US$100 million in company assets, we delivered a preliminary injunction that eventually led in 2010 to one of the largest settlements of its kind.
- Successfully defended a major community-based hospital group in a government investigation, as well as in a related six-week jury trial brought by a group of physicians who attempted to form a competing hospital, claiming a conspiracy to deny access to health care insurers.
- A Russia-based integrated oil and gas company seeking to unwind its failed merger with a rival through LCIA arbitration turned to us to bring the largest commercial arbitration in the world at the time (US$27 billion) against the potential merger partner. The dispute was eventually settled on excellent terms for our client.
- When the validity of a Swiss arbitration award was jeopardized through allegations of fraud, bribery and violations of RICO and the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, a Nigerian state-owned petroleum company turned to us to preserve the billion dollar award. The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the dismissal of the case against our client.
- When a Turkish drilling company needed help in extricating its drilling rig from the nation of Georgia, we turned to provisions of the International Dispute Resolution Centre’s Arbitration Rules that give arbitrators emergency powers to compel the return of property unlawfully held. In only the fourth-ever application under these provisions, our team persuaded the tribunal to order the return of the rig.
- Our tenacity was rewarded after 10 years of arbitration and three final awards, coupled with proceedings in Delaware and Texas. The dispute between our client, a US power generation company, and a Latin American government finally came to an end with the third and final arbitration award in favor of our client.
- Serve as US litigation panel counsel for clients including an American multinational conglomerate corporation operating through four segments (energy, technology infrastructure, capital finance and consumer & industrial).
- Represented a leading provider of transportation and global logistics services in a retaliation case before the US Supreme Court after the petitioner filed for certiorari, claiming a split between the Fifth Circuit and seven other circuit courts.
- Acted for a research-centered pharmaceutical company in a False Claims Act case based on alleged off-label marketing, winning dismissal of the suit.
Awards and accolades
- Benchmark Litigation, Highly Recommended law firm in Texas, Euromoney Intuitional Investor PLC, 2017
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 national rankings for the following litigation categories: antitrust, appellate bankruptcy, commercial litigation, environmental, ERISA, intellectual property, mass tort/class actions – defendants, and patent, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2017
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Dispute Resolution, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Insurance, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Insurance: Contentious, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, USA: Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation), Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation), Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Product Liability & Mass Torts, Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Chambers USA, Texas: Litigation: General Commercial, Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Law360, Litigation Powerhouse - Top 50 Firm for Litigation with “deep legal talent to score remarkable wins for their clients over the past year,” Portfolio Media, Inc., 2016
- Legal 500 EMEA, Saudi Arabia: Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500 EMEA, United Arab Emirates: Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Marketing and Advertising, The Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: International Litigation, The Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Technology: data protection and privacy, The Legal 500, 2016
- Texas Lawyer, 2016 Litigation Department of the Year – Large Firms, ALM Media Properties, LLC, 2016