Stefan H. Reisinger
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Stefan H. ReisingervCard
Related services and key industries
- Sanctions and export controls
- Regulation and investigations
- White-collar crime
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Risk consulting
- Risk advisory
Stefan Reisinger has two decades of government and private practice experience in national security and international trade issues, including foreign investment matters involving the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), and US export, sanctions and Customs regulations.
He advises clients in all phases of the foreign investment review process, including deal structuring and other strategic planning, negotiating purchase agreement terms, conducting due diligence to assess potential areas of national security concern, developing strategies for engaging the government, preparing CFIUS filings and managing follow-up inquiries, negotiating CFIUS mitigation requirements and guiding companies through mitigation implementation.
Stefan has successfully navigated numerous foreign and domestic companies through the CFIUS review process, and has negotiated the terms, and overseen the implementation, of multiple related mitigation agreements.
He also regularly counsels clients on US export control (EAR & ITAR), economic sanctions (OFAC), and US Customs matters. His practice covers all aspects of these areas, including counseling, training, licensing, opinion work, filings, compliance audits, internal investigations, responding to government enforcement actions and developing and implementing relevant compliance policies and procedures. His customs experience includes issues such as classification, valuation, origin determination, marking, preference programs, import restrictions, quotas, drawback and trade agreements.
He has handled numerous trade-related investigations and enforcement actions across the globe, including matters involving the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
Stefan also has experience advising on US trade remedies, including section 201, 232, and 301 tariff actions. He has successfully submitted numerous exclusion requests to the United States Trade Representative (USTR) and the US Department of Commerce, and also advises clients on strategies to otherwise mitigate the impact of such tariffs.
In addition, Stefan has experience with matters involving the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), including registration requirements and negotiating with the US Department of Justice on related inquiries and enforcement actions.
His clients range from Fortune 500 companies to privately-owned start-ups involving a variety of different industries, including, for example, aerospace, financial, manufacturing, technology, infrastructure, defense, electronics, energy, engineering, information, health services, mining, telecommunications and transportation.
In addition to his private practice experience, Stefan also spent several years at the US Department of State where he advised on diverse national security, economic, trade and investment issues.
JD, Fordham University School of Law, 2002
AB, with honors, Political Science & Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis, 1999
While in law school, Stefan was a Staff Member for the Fordham International Law Journal.
Stefan is licensed to practice in New York and the District of Columbia, as well as before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Court of International Trade.
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Conducted a multiyear, worldwide, export control and sanctions internal investigation and subsequent multiagency disclosure on behalf of international manufacturer of valves, seals, and pumps.
- Advised foreign purchaser of U.S. manufacturing company on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Represented a major international energy services company in a multi-jurisdictional and cross-border investigation concerning alleged corruption and breaches of international sanctions and export restrictions and involving multiple US regulators.
- Represented a major manufacturer of air conditioning and cooling products in a NAFTA origin dispute with the Mexican tax authorities.
- Conducted a worldwide export control, sanctions, and anticorruption risk assessment for an international cruise line.
- Advised domestic seller of national security related business on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Represented and defended individual executives of one of the largest international oil and natural gas service companies under investigation by US civil and criminal authorities for alleged violations of export controls, sanctions, and anti-bribery laws.
- Represented a distributor of electronic components in a major government export control investigation involving the export of several million items, and resulting in a favorable settlement with BIS.
- Advised U.S. bio-technology company on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Advised a major multinational financial services provider on economic sanctions and export restrictions and assisted with its internal investigations and dealings with regulators.
- Advised a major defense company on US export control (including ITAR) and sanctions issues and conducted internal investigation into potential violations.
- Counseled one of the largest financial institutions in Africa on US sanctions.
- Represented a manufacturer of jewelry, and other types of, boxes in US Customs audit.
- Advised national universities on export control and sanctions compliance issues.
- Represented one of the world's largest offshore drilling contractors in various US government investigations of alleged violations of export control, sanctions, and anticorruption laws.
- Conducted pre-and post-acquisition export control, sanctions, and anti-bribery due diligence for one of the largest international oil and natural gas service companies.
- Conducted an investigation into, and subsequent multi-agency disclosure of, potential export control and sanctions violations by a leading global provider of managed communications services in Southeast Asia.
- Represented individual executives in an SEC investigation into possible fraudulent activities at an energy investment company.
- Represented a major manufacturer of engines and engine parts in a US Customs investigation into potential misclassified entries.
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Outstanding Pro-Bono Service
Stefan's most recent speaking engagements include:
- "Recent Developments in U.S. Tariffs and Sanctions," British American Business Council, Philadelphia, PA, October 23, 2018
- "Navigating Between U.S. Iran Sanctions and the E.U. Blocking Statute," Morgan Lewis & Bockius, October 24, 2018
- D.C. Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
Publication | June 14, 2021
Publication | December 17, 2020
Publication | December 2, 2020
Publication | November 24, 2020