Head of Arbitration, United States; Partner-in-Charge, Houston
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- International arbitration
- Litigation and disputes
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Climate change and sustainability
- Construction and engineering
- Oil and gas
Key industry sectors
Kevin O'Gorman is the US Head of Arbitration and serves as Partner-in-Charge of the Houston office.
Kevin is recognized globally as a leader in international arbitration, domestic arbitration and international litigation. Kevin has particular experience with commercial, energy, sovereign, treaty and project disputes. He has handled cases under the major arbitral rules including AAA, CPR, DIAC, ICC, ICDR, ICSID, JAMS, LCIA, and SIAC, as well as disputes under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules. He has also appeared in numerous US courts. In recognition of exemplary client work, BTI has named Kevin a Client Service All-Star.
Kevin has served as an arbitrator in domestic and international cases for over a decade.
Kevin is a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR and chairs the southern subcommittee of the USCIB/ICC USA arbitration committee. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration. Kevin serves on the Boards of the Greater Houston Partnership, the Center for American and International Law and the World Affairs Council of Greater Houston. Kevin previously held senior leadership positions on the ABA International Law Section and the State Bar of Texas Section of International Law. Kevin served as a U.S. member of the ICC Taskforce on Resolving Climate Change Related Disputes in Arbitration
Earlier in his career, Kevin was based in Zurich as Team Leader and Senior Legal Secretary to the Claims Resolution Tribunal for Dormant Accounts in Switzerland. The Tribunal was composed of leading international arbitrators and resolved claims to Holocaust-era Swiss bank accounts. Kevin led a team of international lawyers at the Tribunal and worked closely with arbitrators Thomas Buergenthal and Howard Holtzmann. After law school, Kevin clerked for the Honorable Howell Cobb, US District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas.
Kevin is qualified to practice in Texas, New York and England and Wales (Solicitor).
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
JD, cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1993
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität, Bonn, Germany (Full scholarship from the Federal Republic of Germany for post-graduate study and work for the Chairman of the Legal Committee of the German Bundestag), 1989-1990
BA, magna cum laude, University of Houston Honors Program, 1989
Kevin is admitted to practice as follows:
- DC Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Third and Fifth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Law Society of England and Wales
Commercial and merger and acquisition disputes
- Represented Russian energy company in English law, London seat LCIA arbitration arising from failed multi- billion dollar merger with another energy company. While pending, this was reported to be the largest commercial arbitration case in the world.
- Defended leading international energy companies against claims exceeding US$ 1 billion asserted in CPR non-administered arbitration in San Francisco in earn-out dispute relating to purchase of gasification technology.
- Represented publicly traded transportation company in ICDR arbitration in New York and related Delaware Chancery Court case to enforce $400 million agreement to acquire Mexican railroad.
- Represented international petrochemical company in disputes subject to arbitration under LCIA-India Arbitration Rules arising from purchase of petrochemical businesses in India.
- Represented publicly traded energy company in working capital dispute related to the sale of 300,000 barrel/day refinery located in the Caribbean.
- Represented US company in baseball-style price redetermination arbitration regarding long term sale of helium.
- Represented multinational corporation regarding the dissolution of Delaware law governed joint venture that was leader in petrochemical technology and licensing.
- Represented party in Caribbean terminal lease agreement dispute in New York arbitration under New York law.
- Defended global security firm in CPR non-administered arbitration under Washington law against claims by former business counterpart for alleged breach of contract and theft of trade secrets arising from security and personal protection services provided in West Africa.
- Obtained Final Award for a technology and services company under the JAMS International Arbitration Rules against a Russian oilfield services company. The dispute arose under a sale and distribution agreement.
- Defended franchisor of car care services in dispute in CPR arbitration and before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Defended German industrial concern and its officers in suit brought by the President and controlling shareholder of its US affiliate.
- Represented Russian oil company in landmark US Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Eastern European company in ICC arbitrations arising out of financial instruments.
- Represented Atlantic basin LNG seller in take or pay dispute involving force majeure claims raised by European buyer in New York arbitration under New York law and the UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
- Represented Asian LNG seller in dispute under long-term LNG sale and purchase agreement relating to cancellation of cargoes subject to ICDR arbitration in New York under New York law.
- Represented international energy producer in fast track arbitration against owner of offshore pipeline system under AAA Commercial Rules.
- Represented sellers in middle-east based natural gas pricing dispute under long-term purchase and sale agreement in London-based LCIA arbitration.
- Defended US energy company in ad hoc arbitration arising from a purchase and sale agreement for a portfolio of offshore assets located in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented public energy company in joint operating agreement dispute relating to the decommissioning of a deepwater well and subsea gathering system located in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented Peruvian energy company in ICC emergency arbitrator proceeding and joint operating agreement dispute.
- Represented Swiss trading company and Russian energy company in related London UNCITRAL arbitrations relating to long-term crude oil supply contract with Central European oil refiner.
- Represented Canadian oil company in ICC arbitration concerning disputed ownership interest in West African offshore oil field.
- Represented drilling company in ICDR arbitration against Eurasian state-owned energy company regarding drilling operations.
- Represented offshore energy exploration company in arbitration under the AAA's International Rules in joint operating agreement dispute relating to the development of oil and gas field in China.
- Representation of lessee in long term oil storage agreement dispute in arbitration in New York under New York law.
- Represented natural gas distribution and storage company based in Mexico in a contract dispute against Mexican natural gas distributor under the ICC Arbitration Rules.
Sovereign and treaty disputes
- Represented international energy company in NAFTA arbitration against the Government of Canada under the ICSID Arbitration Rules. After the Tribunal's post-hearing decision rejecting the state's objections to jurisdiction and admissibility, and a ruling allowing damage claims spanning the life of the relevant projects, the parties reached a landmark settlement.
- Representation of client with respect to host government measures impacting development of two world class gas fields located in the Mediterranean.
- Defended West African national oil company and its officers in US District Court case in which plaintiff sought $1 billion in damages for alleged bribery of an international arbitration tribunal in Geneva. The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed dismissal of plaintiff's claims against our clients in this closely-watched case.
- Defense of West African national oil company in the Southern District of New York against enforcement of $300 million ex parte French judgment based on a disputed arbitration award issued in west Africa and subject to court challenge at the place of arbitration. The underlying dispute arose out of the parties' agreement for the creation of a national strategic reserve of refined petroleum products.
- Represented US electricity company in ICSID arbitration regarding Latin American State's tax assessments on client's electricity generating subsidiary.
- Represented US power generation company against Latin American State-controlled entity in a contractual dispute under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules in Geneva based on transmission costs agreement.
- Defended international oilfield services company in UNCITRAL arbitration brought by Caribbean state-owned entity relating to drilling services.
- Advised client with offshore operations impacted by West African maritime boundary dispute.
- Advice to investors, states and government agencies regarding host country instruments and bilateral and multilateral investment treaties, (including NAFTA, CAFTA-DR and the Energy Charter Treaty) for investments in North America, South America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Represented international energy company regarding dispute with East African state-owned energy company arising from its divestment from the country through the sale of its corporate subsidiary holding rights under a production sharing agreement.
- Retained to review and advise law firm on the merits of claims it was pursuing under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act in California federal court against Eastern European sovereign and state-owned enterprise
- Advised US midstream company in dispute with Latin American state-owned utility over validity of international gas sale contract subject to LCIA arbitration in London.
Representative international litigation
- Defended European manufacturer of offshore high grade steel tether chains in US$ 500 million US District Court lawsuit brought by the US subsidiary of a Latin American state-owned energy company.
- Defended party in proceedings under 28 U.S.C. 1782 for discovery in aid of arbitration in Delaware and Texas federal courts and on successful appeals before the US Courts of Appeal for the Third and Fifth Circuits.
- Secured dismissal of case brought in Texas state court against Dutch client relating to the alleged failure of a wind power joint venture in China.
- Represented international chemical company in defense of $75 million RICO claim relating to production and marketing of a chemical resin.
- Represented Canadian energy company sued in commercial dispute in Texas state court; after removal to federal court, secured dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Representation of left-behind parents in Texas federal courts under the Hague Convention of Civil Aspects on International Child Abduction and the International Child Abduction Remedies Act to secure return of clients' abducted children.
- Advised Asian state company with respect to alien tort statute litigation arising from energy operations in East Africa.
- Defended Spanish water services company in federal and state court in New York from claims arising from failed joint venture in Argentina.
- Represented European renewable energy developer in complex construction dispute with EPC contractor. The dispute arose from delays in the construction of 300 MW solar power facility in Mexico and was subject to ICC arbitration in Spain.
- Representation of employer in a Dubai seat DIAC arbitration against contractor regarding the construction of a large scale residential housing project in Dubai involving issues of delay, prolongation costs and variations.
- Representation of client in engineering, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning contract dispute involving energy platforms offshore West Africa.
- Represented industrial pressure vessel fabricator in LCIA arbitration against international construction firm.
- Represented offshore drilling company in a dispute with Gulf Coast shipyard regarding the construction of large semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Represented client in dispute relating to the construction of interstate fiber optic network.
- Representation of clients regarding court enforcement of arbitration awards relating to power and power plant construction projects in Peru and Guatemala.
Work as arbitrator and neutral
- Co-arbitrator in ICDR Arbitration involving dispute governed by Delaware and Texas law among equal partners/shareholders in US Gulf Coast refinery and related trading entity in which the claims exceeded $1.5 billion.
- Co-arbitrator in ICDR deepwater Gulf of Mexico joint operating agreement case; final award was issued within 45 days of the tribunal's constitution in accord with the arbitration agreement.
- Sole arbitrator in ICDR dispute regarding oil field services in China.
- Sole arbitrator in AAA arbitration arising out of commercial agreement to promote and franchise cosmetic services business across the United States.
- Served as tribunal appointed expert on Texas law in post-closing accounting dispute.
- Co-arbitrator in franchise dispute under AAA Commercial Arbitration Rules
- Co-arbitrator in account holder dispute with financial institution.
- Sole arbitrator in AAA expedited commercial arbitration under New York law.
- Co-arbitrator in ICC Arbitration relating to industrial procurement and installation contract.
- Sole arbitrator in AAA arbitration governed by New York law with place of arbitration in Austin, Texas.
- Expert witness on obligations under trust indenture and New York law in case before the Supreme Court of Gibraltar.
Technical and licensing disputes
- Represented global surveying company against the manufacturer of a defective deep-sea surveying system in ICDR arbitration in Miami.
- Represented publicly traded US computer company in ICC arbitration against German supplier of defective computer equipment.
- Represented leading medical school in intellectual property licensing dispute.
- Represented international software company in dispute with sales and marketing company in Argentina.
- Representation of US company in joint venture dispute with Swiss Company relating to pharmaceutical products in ICC arbitration in Paris.
Maritime and insurance cases
- On brief in maritime case before the United States Supreme Court; the unanimous Court, in affirming favorable decisions of the lower courts, held that the doctrine of superseding cause exists in admiralty and is consistent with the Court's earlier adoption of comparative fault principles.
- Representation of vessel inspection company with respect to significant maritime casualty offshore Latin America. Dispute subject to international arbitration in New York under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
- Represented corporate insured in $100 million dispute arising from hurricane losses subject to ad hoc arbitration in London under New York law.
- Advised international energy company on insurance subrogation claims arising out of Piper Alpha disaster.
- Represented publicly traded energy services client in offshore maritime personal injury case in Brazoria County, Texas, and maintained favorable judgment on appeal.
- Top Lawyer, Houstonia Magazine, 2022
- Client Service All-Star, BTI, 2022
- Lawdragon Global Litigation 500, Lawdragon Inc., 2021
- Chambers Global, USA: International Arbitration, Chambers and Partners, 2011, 2013 – 2023
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: International Arbitration, Chambers and Partners, 2007 – 2022
- Chambers Latin America, USA: International Arbitration, Chambers and Partners, 2011, 2016
- Who's Who Legal, Who's Who Legal thought leaders - arbitration, Law Business Research Ltd., 2018
- Who's Who Legal, arbitration, Law Business Research Ltd., 2010 – 2022
- Who's Who Legal, energy, Law Business Research Ltd., 2016 – 2019
- Best of the Best USA, Commercial Arbitration, Expert Guides, 2009, 2019
- Lawyer of the Year, Houston: International Arbitration - Governmental, Best Lawyers, 2013
- Best Lawyers - International Arbitration - Commercial 2006 – 2023
- Best Lawyers - International Arbitration - Governmental, 2006 – 2023
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, International arbitration, The Legal 500, 2011, 2013 – 2014, 2016 – 2022
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, International litigation, The Legal 500, 2017 – 2019, 2022
- Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended Lawyer, International Firms: International arbitration, The Legal 500, 2013 – 2015, 2021, 2023
- Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended Lawyer, International Firms: City Focus - Houston, The Legal 500, 2023
- Key partner, Arbitration, Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd., 2019
- Commercial Arbitration Lawyer, Expert Guides, 2008 – 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016 – 2017, 2019 – 2020
- Texas Super Lawyer, International, Thomson Reuters, 2008 – 2022
- Texas Super Lawyers, Top 100 lawyers in Houston, Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2014, 2018
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2004 – 2007
- 45 Leaders in International Arbitration Under 45 - runner-up, Global Arbitration Review, 2006
- The Irish Legal 100, Irish Voice, 2011 – 2022
- US Department of State Certificate of Appreciation - for representation of applicant under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, 2010
- Award of Merit, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 2002
- Chair's Special Recognition Award, American Bar Association Section of International Law, 2012
- Vinson & Elkins Pro Bono Award, 2003
- AV Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Symposium, Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings in Oil & Gas Disputes, 10 World Arb. & Mediation Rev. 207 (2016).
- Co-author, "Arbitration and Joint Operating Agreements: An Overview," in the Leading Practitioners' Guide to International Oil & Gas Arbitration (James M. Gaitis ed., 2015)
- Co-author, "Arbitration and Joint Operating Agreements: An Overview," International Energy and Minerals Arbitration, 10-1, Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn., 2013
- Co-author, "The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction: An Update after Abbott," 33 Hous. J. Int'l L. 39, 2010
- "The Revised IBA Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration," LCIA News Volume 15, Issue 1, Autumn 2010
- Conference Report, "Netherlands: Weighing the Facts – The Problems of Information Exchange and Presentation of Evidence in International Arbitration," Global Arbitration Review, Vol. 4 No. 4, September 2009
- Co-author, "International Legal Developments in Review: 2006 - International Arbitration," 41 The International Lawyer 251, Summer 2007
- Co-author, "U.S. Fifth Circuit Issues Significant Decision on Arbitrator Disclosure," The Institute of Transnational Arbitration News & Notes, Vol. 21 No. 2, Spring 2007
- Executive Editor, The International Arbitration News, the publication of the International Commercial Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of International Law (2000-2004)
- Co-author, "The American Arbitration Association and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution,"Arbitration World, J. William Rowley QC ed., 2004
Recent speeches include:
- Introduction of Stephen Hadley, 20th Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs (National Security Advisor), World Affairs Council of Greater Houston, April 2023
- Speaker, "ESG Arbitration—the Future?," 4th Annual Tel Aviv Arbitration Week (Main Conference), February 2023
- Speaker, "USMCA Update: State-to-State Consultations on Energy Measures in Mexico and Legacy NAFTA Claims," Instituto Mexicano de la Mediación (IMM), Mexico City, February 2023
- Speaker, "Mexico's Recent Interventions in the Energy and Electricity Sectors: Implications for Commercial and Investor-State Arbitration in North America," ICC Mexico Seminar on Construction and Energy Infrastructure Disputes, Mexico City, February 2023
- Introduction of Lt. General Douglas Lute, former US Ambassador to NATO and Deputy National Security Advisor, World Affairs Council of Greater Houston, January 2023
- Panelist, The Impact of the War in Ukraine on International Arbitration with Focus on Energy Disputes, 10th Dublin International Arbitration Day/Arbitration Ireland, November 2022
- Moderator and host, Arbitration Ireland New York Chapter Event, September 2022
- Conference Co-Chair, 10th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, January 2022
- Panel Moderator, Disputes Under Production Sharing Agreements, 10th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, January 2022
- Speaker, Expedited Commercial Arbitration, 9th Dublin International Arbitration Day Conference, November 2021
- Moderator, ITA-IEL-ICC Energy Arbitration Forum, 9th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, January 2021
- Speaker, "U.S. Discovery for Foreign Disputes: The Power and Peril of 28 USC 1782," Norton Rose Fulbright European Client Webinar, November 2020
- Introduction of Ambassador Kurt Volker, World Affairs Council of Greater Houston program on Ukraine, NATO and the United States, October 2020
- Panelist, "Global perspectives on International Arbitration," Australian Arbitration Week, October 2020
- Speaker, "Upstream Investment Protection under USMCA and Bi-Lateral Investment Treaties," Asociacion Mexicana de Empresas de Hidrocarburos Webinar, August 2020
- Speaker, "Investment Protection under the USMCA," AIPN Mexico Chapter Webinar, June 2020
- Chair, panel on investor-state arbitration, "Climate change and the margin of appreciation," American Society of International Law International Economic Law Interest Group Biennial Conference, Miami February 2020
- Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, January 202
- Speaker, "Global Launch of the ICC Commission Report on Resolving Climate Change Related Disputes through Arbitration and ADR," New York, January 2020
- "Climate Change and the Paris Agreement," 5th Annual GAR Live Energy Disputes conference, London, July 2019
- Arbitration Update, Norton Rose Fulbright's 2nd Annual Business Litigation Summit for in-House Counsel, Houston, November 2018
- Speaker, "Ten Developments You Need to Know in International Arbitration," Association of Corporate Counsel Webinar, July 2018
- Speaker, The Dawn of International Arbitration in the South Pacific. This inaugural international arbitration conference in the South Pacific was sponsored by the Asian Development Bank, The Republic of Fiji, and UNCITRAL and took place in Nadi, Fiji in February 2018
- "Court Assisted Evidence Gathering," Instituto Mexicano de la Mediacion & Norton Rose Fulbright Joint Conference, Houston, Texas, May 2017
- "Choosing the Right Energy Arbitrator," CIArb Energy Arbitration 2017 Conference -- Resolving Energy Disputes in Times of Crisis, Houston, Texas, April 2017
- Panelist, "The Do-Over: Gas Price Revision Arbitration - What We Have Learned," ICDR conference on Effectively Arbitrating Complex Disputes in the Global Energy Sector, Houston, Texas, April 2017
- Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, January 2017
- "Commercial Disputes," ICDR/AIPN Conference on Dispute Resolution in the International Oil & Gas Business, Houston, October 2016
- "Climate Change Justice and the IBA Report on Achieving Justice and Human Rights in an Era of Climate Disruption," Client Presentation, Houston, May 2016
- Speaker, Seminar on Investor-State Arbitration, sponsored by the Canada-Colombia Chamber of Commerce, the British and Colombian Chamber of Commerce, the American-Colombian Chamber of Commerce and Norton Rose Fulbright. The Gun Club, Bogota. May 2016
- Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings in Oil & Gas Disputes, 3rd Annual ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, Houston, January 2016
- Co-Chair, Dispute Resolution Module, 5th IEL/SEERIL International Oil and Gas Law Conference, London, June 2015
- Panelist, "New and old issues regarding joint operating agreements and concession agreements," Seminar on Practical Oil and Gas Issues in International Arbitration, Sao Paolo, Brazil, March 2015
- Moderator, ITA-IEL Forum, 2nd Annual ITA-IEL Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, Houston, January 2015
- Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, November 2014
- Norton Rose Fulbright 7th Annual Mergers and Acquisitions School, Houston, October 2014
- "Selecting An Energy Arbitrator," ICDR/AIPN Conference on Dispute Resolution in the International Oil & Gas Business, Calgary, October 2014
- Panel Moderator, Institute of Transnational Arbitration Annual Workshop on Modern Enforcement of Arbitration Awards, Dallas, June 2014
- "Arbitration Insights from a Panel of Practitioners," St. Thomas University CLE Luncheon, Houston, April 2014
- "Representing International Clients in U.S. Courts," State Bar of Texas Section of International Law, Houston, March 2014
- Norton Rose Fulbright Sixth Annual Mergers & Acquisitions School, Houston, November 2013
- Presentation on Joint Operating Agreements, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Institute on International Energy and Minerals Arbitration, Toronto, September 2013
- The Energy Arbitrators List, 11th Annual ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference, September 2013
- Global Trends in Dispute Resolution - Latin America and the Eastern Hemisphere, Fulbright Client Seminar, May 2013
- Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, Texas, April 2013
- "Trends in International Arbitration," Houston Bar ADR Section, South Texas College of Law, January 2013
- Instituto Mexicano de la Mediación - Fulbright Decennial Anniversary Joint Conference, Houston, June 2012
- "Heightened Competition in the Arbitral Venue Sweepstakes: A U.S. Response to the Challenge?" ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, New York, April 2012
- Advisor and Speaker, Seminar for a Delegation of Iraqi Government Officials and Judges on arbitration law and legislation, sponsored by the Commercial Law Development Program of the U.S. Department of Commerce in coordination with the Iraqi State Shura Council and funded by the U.S. Department of State, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, April 2012
- "Enforcement of International Arbitration Awards: Practice and Pitfalls," State Bar of Texas International Law Section 24th Annual Institute, Houston, Texas, March 2012
- "Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Clauses," Fulbright Mergers & Acquisition School, Houston, Texas, October 2011
- "Arbitrator Ethics, Disclosure and Challenges," ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, Washington, DC, April 2011
- "Ethical Pitfalls in International Practice," State Bar of Texas International Law Section 23rd Annual Institute, Houston, Texas, February 2011
- "How to Protect the Deal – What Corporate Lawyers Need to Know About Arbitration," ABA Section of International Law Fall Meeting, Paris, France, November 2010
- Presentation to Marshall Memorial Fellows on the Protection of Foreign Investment, World Affairs Council of Houston, Houston, Texas, October 2010
- Advisor and Speaker, Seminar for a Delegation of Iraqi Judges on Adjudicating Disputes Related to International Commercial Contracts and Financial Transactions, sponsored by the Judicial Development Institute Iraqi Higher Judicial Council and Commercial Law Development Program of the U.S. Department of Commerce and facilitated by the U.S. Department of State, New York, October 2010
- Co-Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, Texas, September 2010
- Speaker, Conference on International Commercial Arbitration and International Dispute Resolution for lawyers from Iran, Bahçesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2010
- Speaker, Conference on International Commercial Arbitration for lawyers and judges from Syria, Bahçesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2010
- "E-Discovery in International Arbitration," AIJA, ICC and ABA International joint conference, Written Evidence in International Arbitration, Charleston, South Carolina, August 2010
- Introduction of Adrian Winstanley, Director General of the LCIA, LCIA and Fulbright & Jaworski Luncheon, Houston, Texas, June 2010
- "Arbitration as an Alternative to Civil Trials," Houston Mariners Club Symposium on Alternative Dispute Resolution, Houston, Texas, June 2010
- "Doing Business in China: Dispute Resolution, Enforcement and Investment Protection Issues" Fulbright Client Program, Houston, Texas, June 2010
- "Enabling the Proceeding – Court-Assisted Evidence Gathering," Permanent Court of Arbitration, Houston International Arbitration Club and University of Texas School of Law Annual Conference on Arbitration and National Courts, Houston, Texas, May 2010
- Guest Lecturer in International Investor State Arbitration Spring 2010, "Enforcement of International Arbitral Awards Against Sovereign Entities," University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas, April 2010
- "Consolidation and Joinder in Arbitration," Columbia Arbitration Day Conference on Aggregate Arbitration, Columbia Law School, New York, New York, April 2010
- "Tailoring Arbitration Procedure: The Preliminary Hearing," State Bar of Texas International Law Section 22nd Annual Institute, Houston, Texas, March 2010
- "Advocacy in Arbitration," North American Branch of the Chartered institute of Arbitrators and South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, February 2010
- Introduction of Michael Forbes Smith, Director General of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Houston International Arbitration Club, Houston, Texas, February 2010
- Panelist, "The Present and Future of Electronic Disclosure in International Arbitration," Permanent Court of Arbitration, Houston International Arbitration Club and University of Texas Annual Conference on Information Exchange and Presentation of Evidence in Arbitration, The Hague, May 2009
- Introduction of Judge Thomas Buergenthal, International Court of Justice, Houston World Affairs Council and Fulbright & Jaworski program, Houston, Texas, May 2009
- Co-Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, Texas, March 2009
- Panelist, "Hot Issues in Attorney-Client Privilege: Investigations and International Issues," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P., Houston, Texas, October 2008
- Organized ICC/USCIB Young Arbitrator Forum Seminar and moderated panel, "Advocacy in International Arbitration," Houston, Texas, June 2008
- "Enforcing Arbitral Awards Against Foreign Sovereigns," Conference on Remedies in Commercial, Investment and Energy Arbitrations, hosted by the Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Houston International Arbitration Club and the University of Texas School of Law, Houston, Texas, April 2008
- "What's New in International Arbitration and Litigation – Plus 50 Years of the New York Convention," ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, New York, New York, April 2008
- "Enforcing Arbitral Awards Against Foreign Sovereign Entities," New York, New York, January 2008
- Co-Lead Instructor, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association Arbitrator Training Course, Houston, Texas, November 2007
- "How to Handle Oil and Gas Industry Cases," Fourth Annual Seminar on International Arbitration, American University Washington College of Law, Washington D.C., October 2007
- Co-wrote and appeared in the Institute for Transnational Arbitration's 2007 conference on Complex Energy Disputes, Dallas, Texas
- Board of Directors, Greater Houston Partnership
- Board of Trustees, Center for American and International Law
- Board of Directors, World Affairs Council of Greater Houston
- Chair, Governance Committee
- Board of Directors, Houston International Arbitration Club
- Board of Directors, Christus Foundation for HealthCare
- Member, Houston Committee on Foreign Relations
- Board of Directors, Dispute Resolution Center of Harris County, 2003-2005
- Past Governing Director, Houston Symphony
- Past Director and Trustee, Houston Grand Opera
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Chair of Southern Subcommittee of USCIB/ICC USA Arbitration Committee
- Member, ICC Task Force on Arbitration of Climate Change Related Disputes
- ICC/USCIB Young Arbitrator Forum, Steering Committee (2007-2011)
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Executive Committee
- Chair of MENA Task Force
- Advisory Board
- Co-Chair, Energy Arbitrators List Steering Committee
- American Bar Association International Law Section
- Former Member of the Council
- Past Chair, Disputes Division
- Past Chair, Public International Law (Treaty) Division
- International Arbitration Committee
- Senior Advisor (2011 - 2015)
- Immediate Past Chair (2010 - 2011)
- Co-Chair (2008 - 2010)
- Vice Chair (2005 - 2008)
- ABA Representative, United Nations Commission on International Trade Law Working Group II (Arbitration and Conciliation) 50th Session New York 2009
- Former Liaison to the American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator Panel Member:
- Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- American Arbitration Association
- National Roster
- Large, Complex Case Panel
- Energy Panel
- Expedited Panel
- British Virgin Islands International Arbitration Centre
- CPR Panels of Distinguished Neutrals
- Banking, Accounting and Financial Services
- Energy, Oil and Gas
- General commercial - Houston ADR
- Energy Arbitrators List
- Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- State Bar of Texas
- Past Chair, District 4E Grievance Committee
- Council Member of the Section of International Law (2010 - 2013)
- Fellow, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA)
- Research Fellow, Center for American and International Law
- CPR - International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- Energy, Oil & Gas Committee
- Arbitration Committee
- American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
- Legal Specialist, Middle East and North Africa, Fall 2010
- United States Department of State
- Hague Child Abduction Convention Attorney Network
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center
- Spring 2008: International Law of Foreign Investment
- Houston International Arbitration Club, Founding Member
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member (MCIArb)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Swiss Arbitration Association
- Association of International Energy Negotiators
- Diploma, Trial Advocacy Skills, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Former Contributing Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
- Assistant to Herbert Helmrich, Member of the German Bundestag and Chairman of the Legal Committee (1990)
- Assistant Liaison to the Canadian Delegation, 1990 G-7 Summit of Industrialized Nations
Mexican energy measures impacting foreign investment: an update and potential investor-state dispute remedies
Publication | May 15, 2023
US discovery in support of arbitration
Publication | November 01, 2022
Climate change litigation update:
Publication | February 25, 2022