Douglas M. Fried
Head of Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Douglas M. FriedvCard
Related services and key industries
Doug Fried is Norton Rose Fulbright's US Head of Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities. His practice focuses on the representation of sponsors, equity investors and lenders in connection with infrastructure, transportation and energy projects.
Doug has been involved in projects in the United States, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia. His practice includes the representation of such entities in connection with the development and financing of new projects, public-private partnerships, the privatization of existing assets, the workout and restructuring of troubled projects, companies and transactions, and sales and acquisitions.
JD, Member of the Fordham Law Review, Fordham University School of Law, 1986
BS, magna cum laude, State University of New York, University at Albany, 1983
- New York State Bar
- Representation of AustralianSuper in connection with a series of equity investments in Generate Capital, Inc.
- Representation of Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation, the preferred bidder, in connection with the procurement of a P3 for the Westchester County Airport.
- Representation of Globalvia on the purchase of the concession for the Pocahontas Parkway in Virginia and related financing.
- Representation of KeyBank National Association in connection with the financing of the new Travis County Civil and Family Courts Facility, a US$335 million project in Austin, Texas.
- Representation of a potential bidder in the procurement for the lease and concession regarding the utility system for The Ohio State University.
- Represented the purchaser of a district energy asset in a downtown commercial and office district in the United States.
- Representation of Flatiron Constructors and Dragados USA in connection with TxDOT's procurement for the US 181 Harbor Bridge Replacement Project in Texas and related closing.
- Representation of Isolux Infrastructure Netherlands B.V. in connection with the concession to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the I-69 Section 5 Project in Indiana and related private activity bond financing.
- Representation of a consortium in connection with the procurement for the Goethals Bridge replacement project between New York and New Jersey.
- Representation of lenders in a private placement of notes and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, as letter of credit issuer, in the $331 million project financing of a portfolio of three existing wind farms in Texas and Pennsylvania developed by E.ON with a combined capacity of 432 MW.
- Representation of a consortium in connection with the procurement for the public-private partnership of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to develop, design, sublease, construct, finance, operate and maintain the West by Northwest Managed Lanes Toll Road Project in Georgia.
- Representation of a lender in connection with the gap financing facilities for the I-4 Connector design-build-finance project in Florida.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc., Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank and Union Bank, N.A. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy's 151.8 MW Spring Valley wind project, located near Ely, Nevada, the first major wind project in Nevada.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy's 101.3 MW Santa Isabel wind project located in the municipality of Santa Isabel on the southern coast of Puerto Rico, the first major wind project in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to finance, operate, maintain and rehabilitate the PR-22 and PR-5 toll roads in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession and lease of Chicago Midway International Airport.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with the financing of Cannon Power Corporation's Windy Flats 262 MW wind project located in Klickitat County, Washington. The project structure contemplates a cash grant from the US Government.
- Representation of a company formed by Brisa and CCR in connection with the concession to operate and maintain the Northwest Parkway Toll Road in Colorado and related financings. This deal was honored as a "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance magazine.
- Representation of a company bidding for the concession to lease, operate and maintain the Alligator Alley toll road in Florida.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to develop, design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the Port of Miami Tunnel Project.
- Representation of the international lenders in connection with the financing of the $1.4 billion Cross Israel Highway. The Cross Israel Highway was the country's first toll road. As Israel's first project-financed infrastructure project, this deal was honored as a "Deal of the Year" by both Project Finance magazine and Project Finance International.
- Representation of a group of institutional bondholders of PG&E National Energy Group, Inc. in connection with the attempted out-of-court restructuring of the company and the subsequent representation of the Official Noteholders Committee in NEG's Chapter 11 case.
- Representation of the lenders in connection with the workout and restructuring of the Orinoco Iron Project, a hot-briquetted iron project in Venezuela of approximately $1 billion. The syndicate of lenders includes major commercial banks and financial institutions from Europe, the United States and Asia.
- Representation of the syndicate of lenders in connection with the original financing and subsequent workout of the dual-currency financing for the Duqueco Hydroelectric Project in Chile. The financing involved the provision of Chilean Peso-denominated loans and US dollar-denominated loans. The workout included the restructuring of the financing documents, the provision of additional equity, the settlement of disputes with the project sponsors and the settlement of disputes with the contractors involved in the project.
- Publishes quarterly the "US P3 Projects Pipeline"
- "A Report On The Expanding US P3 Market," December 2014
- "The US Government Moves to Encourage More P3s," Project Finance NewsWire, September 2014
- "P3 Update: TIFIA Program Developments (Special Update)," Client Alert, August 5, 2013
- Co-author, "US Public-Private Partnerships: A Few Steps Forward And One Possible Step Back," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2013
- "Attention Shifts From A Clean Energy Bank to a Broader Infrastructure Bank," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2011
- "Toll Road and Infrastructure Update," February 2010
- "Toll Road Update," November 2009
- "Foreign Experience with Toll Road Concessions," Real Estate, Construction, Law, a Russian magazine, September-October 2008
- Co-author, "Private Involvement in U.S. Roads," Project Finance International, September 2004
- Co-author, "Why Do Some Toll Roads Fail?," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2004
- Co-author, "The Route to a Financeable Toll Road," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2004
- "Infrastructure Investment Opportunities in the US," InfraAmericas US P3 Forum, New York, NY, April 18, 2018
- "The Regulatory Environment for Infrastructure Investing & ESG, ESG in Infrastructure & Private Market Investing Forum, New York, NY, June 29, 2017
- "How Will the Trump Administration Advance the P3 Industry?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 13, 2017
- "Infrastructure Opportunities After the US Elections," InfraAmericas US P3 Forum, New York, NY, November 10, 2016
- "The State of the US P3 Market," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 15, 2016
- "Roads & Bridges – Structuring P3s Which Keep America Connected," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 9, 2015
- "US Infrastructure Investor's Preview," P3 Breakfast Roundtable, New York, NY, March 12, 2015
- "How can the US and Canadian P3 Markets be Improved?," North American Infrastructure Law Forum, Miami, FL, January 26, 2015
- "The State of the North American P3 Market in 2014," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 17, 2014
- "US P3 Market Scene-Setter & Outlook -- What Will It Take to Accelerate P3 Deal-Flow Over the Next Decade?," InfraAmericas 9th Annual US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, New York, NY, June 18, 2013
- "The Inner Workings of Credit Committees and Their Evaluations of Infrastructure Projects," North American Infrastructure Law Forum, Banff, Canada, January 14, 2013
- "What Are the Challenges and Opportunities for the Industry of More Availability-Based Payments for Toll Road P3s?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 20, 2012
- "On the Rise: Public Private Partnerships for Infrastructure Development," Chadbourne & Parke Global Energy and Project Finance Conference, Stowe, Vermont, June 15, 2012
- "After the Elections, What's Next for the US P3 Market?," InfraAmericas U.S. P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 14, 2011
- "Outlook for Private Investment in US Infrastructure," U.S. Toll Road Roundtable, New York, NY, March 22, 2011
- "Successfully Developing and Closing a Managed Lane P3," US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2010, New York, NY, June 22, 2010
- "Public Private Partnerships: Opportunities Worldwide for Your Clients," American Bar Association International Law Section Fall Meeting, Miami Beach, FL, October 28, 2009
- Infra-Americas U.S. Toll Road Preview: Opportunities for Infrastructure Investors 2009, New York, NY, September 29, 2009
- "Highways Market Watch (II): What Are The Developers Saying?," US P3 Infrastructure Finance Forum, New York, NY, June 18-19, 2009
- "How the Stimulus Bill Will Affect the Market: Opportunities - New Projects, New Sources of Money," (panelist) Chadbourne webinar, February 19, 2009
- "International Experience in Concessions on Toll Highways," Role of Concession Agreements in Implementation of Investment Projects to Develop Transport Infrastructure, Moscow, Russian Federation, October 29, 2008
- "Highways Market Watch (III): The Developers' Perspective," US P3 Infrastructure Finance Forum 2008, New York, New York, June 19-20, 2008
- "P3 Americas US Toll Road Preview 2008," New York, NY, March 12, 2008
- "How Will Mega US Infrastructure Transactions be Funded as the Debt Market Becomes Increasingly Mature?," U.S. P3 Infrastructure Finance Forum 2007, New York, NY , June 21-22, 2007
- "Funding US Toll Road Transactions and Lease Sales - Market Issues," and "Developing Greenfield Transportation PPP Projects," Opportunities in North American Transportation PPP Projects Conference, Washington, DC, May 9-11, 2007
- "P3 Americas U.S. Toll Road Preview 2007," New York, NY, March 21, 2007
- "P3 Americas U.S. Toll Road Preview 2006," New York, NY, February 14, 2006
Publication | November 06, 2020
Publication | July 03, 2020
Publication | May 18, 2020
Publication | August 2018