Marc B. Collier
Head of Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Austin
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Marc B. ColliervCard
Related services and key industries
Marc Collier joined the Austin office in 1997.
As partner, he focuses his practice on litigation and appellate matters. Previously, Marc served a two year judicial clerkship for the Honorable Paul Brown of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Marc has extensive experience in complex commercial disputes and has tried multiple multi-million dollar cases to verdict and judgment. Examples of Marc's recent experience include the following:
- Lead trial counsel for major hospital system defending fraud claims and multi-million dollar demands in a month long trial in state court. The jury entered a verdict against all claims against the system and awarded more than a million dollars on the hospital client's counterclaims.
- Lead trial counsel for medical device company seeking injunctive relief against former employees under multiple federal and state causes of action. After obtaining a temporary restraining order, Mr. Collier prevailed at the evidentiary hearing and a temporary injunction was entered.
- Trial counsel for a major music provider facing millions of dollars in copyright claims in federal court. The provider prevailed in district court and the decision was affirmed in all respects by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Trial counsel for a semiconductor manufacturer in proceedings brought before the International Trade Commission. After a week long hearing, the Administrative Law Judge ruled in the manufacturer's favor. This decision was then affirmed by the full International Trade Commission.
- Lead trial counsel for a major oil & gas producer in a suit against certain defendants who were interfering with oil and gas production. After initially obtaining temporary relief, Marc tried the case as first chair counsel and a final judgment containing both permanent and monetary relief was obtained on behalf of the producer.
- Lead trial and appellate counsel for a major oil & gas producer defending tortious interference claims brought in federal court by a competitor. The district court granted defendant both summary judgment and attorneys' fees which decision was affirmed in all respects by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a municipally-owned utility challenging in state court the propriety of certain PUC wholesale transmission rules. After the lower courts had ruled, the Texas Supreme Court ruled in the utility's favor and invalidated the rules.
- Lead counsel for an accounting and auditing entity retained by the Illinois Commerce Commission to give testimony on the applicability of several billion dollars of alleged savings attributable to a proposed merger of telecommunications entities.
- Lead trial counsel for a major oil & gas producer both defending and bringing in state court breach of contract claims arising out of a purchase and sale agreements.
- Trial and appellate counsel for major hospital system in defending claims brought by putative class of uninsured patients in federal court. Within only a few months after the lawsuit was filed and without any discovery being conducted, the district court granted defendant hospital system's motions to dismiss as to all counts brought by plaintiffs which was affirmed in all respects by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Counsel for Chinese subsidiaries of a major oil & gas producer defending against a claim brought before the American Arbitration Association and tried for three weeks before a neutral arbitrator that these entities breached a contract and caused damages in excessive of $70 million dollars.
- Counsel for a major oil & gas producer and its Canadian affiliate both defending against an alleged claim brought before the American Arbitration Association and pursuing its own counter-claim.
- Counsel for a manufacturer in the semi-conductor industry in a breach of contract case in federal court which over $100 million in damages were sought. Marc had primary responsibility for all aspects of preparation of the proposed jury charge and objections to the charge at trial.
- Counsel for a major natural gas trader defending substantial claims brought before the American Arbitration Association by an entity which claims arose out of that entity's withdrawal from an agreement.
- Counsel for a major oil & gas producer defending claims by a landowner that the producer environmentally contaminated the landowner's property. A trial court summary judgment in the producer's favor was affirmed in all respects on appeal.
- Counsel for a pharmaceutical company pursuing false advertising claims in Federal court.
- Counsel for a software company defending misappropriation of trade secrets claims in state court.
- Counsel for a home improvement hardware company defending trademark infringement claims in federal court.
- Counsel for a media company pursuing trademark infringement claims, including injunctive relief, in federal court.
- Counsel for a regional oil & gas producer in several cases brought by other working interest owners arising out of a large oil find in Lavaca County, Texas. These cases required several mandamus proceedings before the state appellate courts before ultimately settling.
- Counsel for an Egyptian affiliate of a major oil and gas producer regarding issues surrounding its operations.
- Counsel for a major oil & gas pipeline before the Railroad Commission of Texas regarding the construction and approval of a new Texas intrastate natural gas pipeline.
JD, magna cum laude, Baylor University School of Law, 1995
MA, Taxation, Baylor University, 1995
BBA., summa cum laude, Eastern New Mexico University, 1991
Marc served as Editor-in-Chief of the Baylor Law Review.
Marc was licensed to practice law in Texas in 1995, and is admitted to practice before all State of Texas trial and appellate courts and in the United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Western District of Texas. Marc is also admitted to the Fifth Circuit and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals.
- Texas State Bar
- Chambers USA, Texas: Austin & Surrounds, Litigation: General Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2020 - 2021
- Legal 500 USA, recommended lawyer, Antitrust: Merger control, The Legal 500, 2019
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2004, 2007
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Young Lawyers
- Travis County Bar Association
Publication | March 18, 2021
Publication | March 01, 2021
Webinar | October 29, 2020