Douglas M. Fried
Head of Infrastructure, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Douglas M. FriedvCard
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Investment funds
- Workouts and restructurings
- Corporate, M&A and securities
Key industry sectors
Doug Fried is Norton Rose Fulbright's US Head of Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities. His practice focuses on the representation of sponsors, equity investors, lenders, contractors and operators in connection with infrastructure, transportation and energy projects.
Doug has been involved in projects in the United States, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia. His practice includes the representation of such entities in connection with the development and financing of new projects, public-private partnerships, the privatization of existing assets, the workout and restructuring of troubled projects, companies and transactions, and sales and acquisitions.
JD, Member of the Fordham Law Review, Fordham University School of Law, 1986
BS, magna cum laude, State University of New York, University at Albany, 1983
- New York State Bar
- Representation of AustralianSuper, CPPIB and UniSuper in connection with an aggregate equity investment of approximately $2.1 billion in Transurban Chesapeake, which comprises Transurban's Greater Washington area operational assets, including the 495 Express Lanes, 95 Express Lanes and 395 Express Lanes, as well as three projects in delivery and development - the Fredericksburg Extension, 495 Express Lanes Northern Extension and the Commonwealth of Virginia's commitments under the Capital Beltway Accord.
- Advised the construction joint venture for a shortlisted bidding team in connection with the procurement by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) of a major express lanes project on an approximately 16-mile stretch of SR 400 in Atlanta, Georgia between I-285 and McFarland Parkway.
- Representation of QIC and Ullico in connection with the acquisition from Brookfield of Enwave's US district energy business, which delivers heating and cooling capacity and provides commercial and residential energy infrastructure services.
- Representation of Shikun & Binui on its acquisition from Capital Dynamics of a 49% interest in the 100 MW/400 MWh Saticoy battery energy storage project in Ventura County, California.
- Advised a consortium in connection the procurement to operate, maintain and improve Syracuse University's steam station which provides heating for most of the main campus buildings and other customers.
- Representation of KeyBank in connection with the construction financing of a government services facility in the City of San Marcos, Texas, under development by the Hunt Companies and Flintco.
- Representation of AustralianSuper in connection with a series of equity investments in Generate Capital, Inc.
- Representation of Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation, the preferred bidder, in connection with the procurement of a P3 for the Westchester County Airport.
- Representation of Globalvia on the purchase of the concession for the Pocahontas Parkway in Virginia and related financing.
- Representation of KeyBank National Association in connection with the financing of the new Travis County Civil and Family Courts Facility, a US$335 million project in Austin, Texas.
- Representation of a potential bidder in the procurement for the lease and concession regarding the utility system for The Ohio State University.
- Represented the purchaser of a district energy asset in a downtown commercial and office district in the United States.
- Representation of Flatiron Constructors and Dragados USA in connection with TxDOT's procurement for the US 181 Harbor Bridge Replacement Project in Texas and related closing.
- Represented a potential bidder in connection with the procurement for the Gilcrease Expressway build-finance project in Oklahoma.
- Representation of Isolux Infrastructure Netherlands B.V. in connection with the concession to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the I-69 Section 5 Project in Indiana and related private activity bond financing.
- Representation of a consortium in connection with the procurement for the Goethals Bridge replacement project between New York and New Jersey.
- Representation of lenders in a private placement of notes and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, as letter of credit issuer, in the $331 million project financing of a portfolio of three existing wind farms in Texas and Pennsylvania developed by E.ON with a combined capacity of 432 MW.
- Representation of a consortium in connection with the procurement for the public-private partnership of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to develop, design, sublease, construct, finance, operate and maintain the West by Northwest Managed Lanes Toll Road Project in Georgia.
- Representation of a lender in connection with the gap financing facilities for the I-4 Connector design-build-finance project in Florida.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc., Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank and Union Bank, N.A. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy's 151.8 MW Spring Valley wind project, located near Ely, Nevada, the first major wind project in Nevada.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy's 101.3 MW Santa Isabel wind project located in the municipality of Santa Isabel on the southern coast of Puerto Rico, the first major wind project in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to finance, operate, maintain and rehabilitate the PR-22 and PR-5 toll roads in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession and lease of Chicago Midway International Airport.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with the financing of Cannon Power Corporation's Windy Flats 262 MW wind project located in Klickitat County, Washington. The project structure contemplates a cash grant from the US Government.
- Representation of a company formed by Brisa and CCR in connection with the concession to operate and maintain the Northwest Parkway Toll Road in Colorado and related financings. This deal was honored as a "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance magazine.
- Representation of a company bidding for the concession to lease, operate and maintain the Alligator Alley toll road in Florida.
- Representation of a consortium bidding for the concession to develop, design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the Port of Miami Tunnel Project.
- Representation of the international lenders in connection with the financing of the $1.4 billion Cross Israel Highway. The Cross Israel Highway was the country's first toll road. As Israel's first project-financed infrastructure project, this deal was honored as a "Deal of the Year" by both Project Finance magazine and Project Finance International.
- Representation of a group of institutional bondholders of PG&E National Energy Group, Inc. in connection with the attempted out-of-court restructuring of the company and the subsequent representation of the Official Noteholders Committee in NEG's Chapter 11 case.
- Representation of the lenders in connection with the workout and restructuring of the Orinoco Iron Project, a hot-briquetted iron project in Venezuela of approximately $1 billion. The syndicate of lenders includes major commercial banks and financial institutions from Europe, the United States and Asia.
- Representation of the syndicate of lenders in connection with the original financing and subsequent workout of the dual-currency financing for the Duqueco Hydroelectric Project in Chile. The financing involved the provision of Chilean Peso-denominated loans and US dollar-denominated loans. The workout included the restructuring of the financing documents, the provision of additional equity, the settlement of disputes with the project sponsors and the settlement of disputes with the contractors involved in the project.
- Chambers Global, Projects (USA), Chambers and Partners, 2016 – 2021
- Chambers Global, Projects: PPP (USA), Chambers and Partners, 2016 – 2021
- Chambers USA, USA: Nationwide, Projects: PPP, Chambers and Partners, 2016 – 2022
- Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, Education, The Legal 500, 2021– 2022
- Expert Guides, Project Finance, Legal Media Group, 2020
- Publishes quarterly the "US P3 Projects Pipeline"
- "A Report On The Expanding US P3 Market," December 2014
- "The US Government Moves to Encourage More P3s," Project Finance NewsWire, September 2014
- "P3 Update: TIFIA Program Developments (Special Update)," Client Alert, August 5, 2013
- Co-author, "US Public-Private Partnerships: A Few Steps Forward And One Possible Step Back," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2013
- "Attention Shifts From A Clean Energy Bank to a Broader Infrastructure Bank," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2011
- "Toll Road and Infrastructure Update," February 2010
- "Infrastructure Investment Opportunities in the US," InfraAmericas US P3 Forum, New York, NY, April 18, 2018
- "The Regulatory Environment for Infrastructure Investing & ESG, ESG in Infrastructure & Private Market Investing Forum," New York, NY, June 29, 2017
- "How Will the Trump Administration Advance the P3 Industry?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 13, 2017
- "Infrastructure Opportunities After the US Elections," InfraAmericas US P3 Forum, New York, NY, November 10, 2016
- "The State of the US P3 Market," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 15, 2016
- "Roads & Bridges – Structuring P3s Which Keep America Connected," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 9, 2015
- "US Infrastructure Investor's Preview," P3 Breakfast Roundtable, New York, NY, March 12, 2015
- "How can the US and Canadian P3 Markets be Improved?," North American Infrastructure Law Forum, Miami, FL, January 26, 2015
- "The State of the North American P3 Market in 2014," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 17, 2014
- "US P3 Market Scene-Setter & Outlook -- What Will It Take to Accelerate P3 Deal-Flow Over the Next Decade?," InfraAmericas 9th Annual US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, New York, NY, June 18, 2013
- "The Inner Workings of Credit Committees and Their Evaluations of Infrastructure Projects," North American Infrastructure Law Forum, Banff, Canada, January 14, 2013
- "What Are the Challenges and Opportunities for the Industry of More Availability-Based Payments for Toll Road P3s?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 20, 2012
- "On the Rise: Public Private Partnerships for Infrastructure Development," Chadbourne & Parke Global Energy and Project Finance Conference, Stowe, Vermont, June 15, 2012
- "After the Elections, What's Next for the US P3 Market?," InfraAmericas U.S. P3 Infrastructure Forum, New York, NY, June 14, 2011
- "Outlook for Private Investment in US Infrastructure," U.S. Toll Road Roundtable, New York, NY, March 22, 2011
- "Successfully Developing and Closing a Managed Lane P3," US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2010, New York, NY, June 22, 2010