Mark S. Greenfield
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Private equity and venture capital
- Corporate governance
- Corporate finance
- Banking and finance
- Oil and gas
- Equity capital markets
- Debt capital markets
Mark S. Greenfield is Head of Corporate, M&A and Securities, Los Angeles. He focuses his practice on corporate transactions and corporate advice and counselling. He concentrates in the following areas:
- private equity
- venture capital
- mergers and acquisitions
- capital formation, debt and equity
- public offerings and private placements
- corporate formations
- corporate reorganizations
- corporate governance
- general corporate counselling—outside general counsel
Mark has had extensive experience with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, representing private equity and venture capital sponsors, family offices, corporate entities and sell-side entrepreneurs. He also regularly represents clients in debt and equity capital raises, private and public, issuers, underwriters, placement agents and financial institutions. Mark represents clients in a broad range of industries including energy, technology, biotechnology, software, healthcare, medical devices, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, gaming, hospitality, media and entertainment, and financial services. He also regularly provides expert testimony in the areas of corporate governance and healthcare, and he has served on numerous corporate boards, including audit committee assignments.
In addition to his law practice, Mark has had business leadership and executive experience, including:
- President and CEO of an independent oil and gas exploration and production company
- Chairman of a hospitality company operating upscale restaurants
- Interim President and CEO of a software developer and distributor
- Chair, Private Equity Industry Network, YPO
- Chair, Financial Services Industry Network, YPO
- Chapter Chair, YPO
- Regional Chair, Deal Network, YPO
- Board of Directors of Sopac Energy Corporation, Advanced Savings Bank, AmerCable Incorporated, Zum Ritter Corp. (Valentino Restaurant Group) and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Mark is a recognized authority in negotiation strategy and in positioning corporate clients for strategic growth. He also has authored several articles and speaks extensively.
JD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
BA, magna cum laude, University of California, Los Angeles
- California State Bar
Mark has advised clients in a broad spectrum of business matters, including:
- Management/private equity partnered buy-out of a manufacturing subsidiary from its NASDAQ parent.
- Acquisition of a new platform manufacturing firm for a private equity client, first in the M&A arena and later as a stalking horse bidder in a bankruptcy 363 auction.
- Acquisition of an add-on to the private equity owned platform company in the waste management and water treatment industries.
- Acquisition of an add-on to the private equtiy owned platform company in the records retrieval industry.
- Acquisition of a Canada based childrens animation production company by a US based childrens animation production company, and related public merger (arrangement in Canada) to effect the transaction, including necessary regulatory and judicial approvals.
- Sale to a private equtiy sponsor of a manufacturer of single-use sanitary components for pharmaceutical and bio-tech manufacturing.
- Joint venture between a physician group and a hospital system to build and operate an ambulatory surgery center.
- Structuring and formation of multiple-layered Hong Kong companies to facilitate a sales and distribution network in mainland China.
- Acquisition of manufacturing facilities in Guangzhou and Fuzhou, China.
- Financings and subsequent acquisitions for an oil and gas exploration and production company.
- Purchase of an interest in a U.S.-based media and entertainment company by an India-based public company.
- Merger into a United Kingdom, London Stock Exchange listed, company of a specialized software developer and distributor.
- Reset and recapitalization in connection with the successful exit of a private equity firm.
- Sale to the private equity arm of a single family office of a manufacturing company focused in the hobby-crafts industry.
- Sale to a private equity sponsor of an international distributor of cable and cable products.
- Sale of control of prominent fitness studio operator to private equity.
- Renegotiation of credit facilities for a manufacturing company and for a hospitality company.
- Financing of an animated children's series for a prominent public animation company.
- Non-control equity investment of private equity in a media and entertainment company.
- Formation of a fund, capital formation for the new fund, and subsequent roll-up of 26 special purpose real estate vehicles into the new fund.
- Multiple acquisitions to support the growth of a manufacturing company focused in the hobby-crafts industry.
- Disposition of multiple non-core subsidiaries of a manufacturing company to prepare for exit.
- Multiple acquisitions and joint ventures to support the growth of a media and entertainment industry client.
- Acquisition of franchisor of make your own pottery studios.
- Acquisition of multiple casino locations for a Nevada-based casino operator.
- Sale of wall décor manufacturer and distributor to private equity portfolio company.
- Financing for the manufacturer of medical devices used in orthopedics.
- Financing for a developer of health care products utilizing a unique bio-chemical composition.
- Formation and initial public offering for a bank holding company.
- Expert testimony in corporate governance and healthcare relating to the bankruptcy of a community hospital.
- Strategizing and implementing safety compliance program in Australia for an international manufacturing client.
- "Private Equity Challenges Necessitate Reevaluating Strategies," Bloomberg Law, May 2022
- "Insight: The family office as private equity investor," Bloomberg Law, September 4, 2020
- "Good opportunities despite inherent difficulties," Bloomberg Law, July 2019
- "Negotiate at the Next Level", Ignite, Magazine of YPO, November 2016
- "Antitrust Issues Abound: What to Know When Trying to Buy a Competitor", Mergers & Acquisitions, February 2016
- "Opportunities Open in Equity Markets", American Oil & Gas Reporter, July 2016
- "Private Equity Firms Increase Focus on Add-ons", PE Hub, February 2015
- "Chinese Investment in the United States: Outbound Funds Expand in Reach and Size", Bloomberg, BNA Mergers & Acquisitions Report, August 2013
- "The Courage to Come Forward: Clear Whistleblower Policies", Trustee Magazine, July 2013
- "Increasing Utilization of Independent Counsel In Effective Whistleblower Policies", Corporate Compliance Insights, November 2012
- "Legal Issues Update; California Oil and Gas Industry", California Independent Petroleum Association Annual Meeting, Napa, June 2021
- "Current State of Capital Markets: Upstream Oil and Gas", California Independent Petroleum Association Annual Meeting, Virtual, September 2020
- "Family Office Club Deals: Co-Ventures in Direct Investing", Building the High Functioning Family Office, YPO, New York, November 2019
- "The Family Office as a Private Equity Player", Building the High Functioning Family Office, YPO, New York, November 2018
- "Take Your Negotiation Skills to the Next Level", YPO, New York, November 2018
- "Quantum Growth: Building Value to Prepare for Sale", YPO, Lagos, Nigeria, September 2018
- "Take Your Negotiation Skills to the Next Level", YPO, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, October 2017
- "The Family Business: Values, Valuation, Planning and Strategies", YPO, Nairobi, Kenya, October 2017
- "Quantum Growth: Building Value to Prepare for Sale", YPO, Houston, September 2018
- "Investing in the Oil Patch: Current Capital Markets", California Independent Petroleum Association Annual Meeting, Napa, June 2016
- "Quantum Growth: Building Value to Prepare for Sale", YPO, Los Angeles, May 2016
- "Quantum Growth: Building Value to Prepare for Sale", YPO, Los Angeles, September 2015
- "Quantum Growth: Building Value to Prepare for Sale", YPO, San Francisco, June 2015
Mark is a member of several community and philanthropic organizations, including:
- Board of Directors of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, including member of the Executive Committee and former chair of the Audit Committee
- Active member of YPO
- Chair of the Financial Services Network of YPO
- Past Chair of the Private Equity Industry Network of YPO
- Past Chapter Chair of YPO
- Hearing Officer for the Los Angeles Police Department
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Association for Corporate Growth, Los Angeles
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the UCLA Foundation
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Police Foundation
- Past Chair of the Associates of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Patron of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Benefactor of UCLA
- Founder of the Los Angeles Music Center