Debra Gatison Hatter
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Debra Gatison HattervCard
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Corporate finance
- Corporate governance
- Oil and gas
- Private equity and venture capital
- Equity capital markets
Debra Gatison Hatter focuses her practice on corporate securities, with deep experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic partnerships, financings, corporate governance, structuring, compliance and general business matters. With over twenty years of experience, Debra represents private equity funds, public companies and privately held businesses in the energy, technology, retail, healthcare and industrial services industries, among others. She also provides outside general counsel services for her clients.
Debra regularly delivers practical, results-focused advice related to domestic and international matters. Her experience includes representing investors and sellers of businesses with a significant focus on technology assets and organizing joint ventures and other strategic partnering arrangements, including the governance aspects of these transactions. Her experience also includes compliance and advice with respect to federal and state securities laws and SEC rules and regulations.
Debra also counsels clients on premerger regulatory compliance and filings under the competition laws (HSR Act) in U.S. based and cross-border transactions.
JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1994
BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Representing private equity sponsor in reorganization and private exchange offer to form a diversified healthcare system.
- Representing Oil States International in several acquisitions of oilfield service companies.
- Representing small publicly traded energy company in its merger and recapitalization of the company with a private equity investment and acquisition financing to acquire a privately held energy company and the purchase of additional assets.
- Representing retail energy provider's Special Committee of Board of Directors in acquisitions and financings.
- Representing publicly traded MLP in its divestiture of a minority interest in Utica Shale midstream joint venture.
- Representing private investment funds in restructuring and reorganization of trust company and its affiliates.
- Representing energy private equity sponsor in formation, organization and initial funding of portfolio company with E&P focus.
- Representing private equity fund co-sponsor in its initial leveraged buyout and purchase transaction and subsequent recapitalization of a decorative pillows and window coverings designer and manufacturer.
- Representing Halliburton Energy Services in its acquisition of an oil well data testing and analysis services company.
- Representing public international full service restaurant chain in acquisition of minority interest in Korean restaurants.
- Representing public international telecommunications company in acquisitions of FCC wireless spectrum licenses from private sellers in markets across the nation.
- Representing public international telecommunications company in warrant investments in connection with strategic transactions.
- Top 30 Influential Women of Houston, D Mars Magazine, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America - Corporate Law, Best Lawyers, 2021
- 'Breakthrough Woman' award, Houston Women's Chamber of Commerce, 2021
- Who's Who in Energy, American Cities Journals, 2016
- Top 25 Business Woman in Houston, The National Women's Council, November 2014
- Honored as a Role Model by Women's Chamber of Commerce Houston, September 2013
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2010
- Co-author, "Texas M&A Case Law Update: Takeaways from Chalker Energy Partners III v. Le Norman Operating LLC," American Bar Association – Business Law Section, June 22, 2020
- A Look at Board Duties and Conflicts of Interests - Corporations & LLC's, Advanced Business Law Course, State Bar of Texas, November 2017
- Nonprofit Corporate Governance, Corporate Counsel Women of Color, September 2017
- Joint Ventures, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Smart Cities, Legal Issues Engage Excellence Program, November 2016
- National Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association - Mergers and Acquisitions Section, Co-Founder, Former Chair
- Women's Energy Network Houston, Member
- Greater Houston Women's Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), Member
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Mu Kappa Omega Graduate Chapter