Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Digital health and precision medicine
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Food and agribusiness
- Intellectual property
- Tech sector
Jason Novak's practice was specifically created to focus on advising entities, both large and small, on the various legal issues that can arise with emerging technologies in the healthcare, food and life sciences industries, with a particular and targeted focus on "convergence" technologies (e.g., digital health, personalized/precision medicine, alternative protein) that operate at the intersection of multiple industries.
Jason has extensive experience in IP and data rights strategy. For data rights, Jason advises clients on transactions, protection and general strategy. On the IP front, Jason's experience extends to patent portfolio management, preparation and prosecution, oppositions, counseling, licensing and technology transactions, in and out-licensing, freedom-to-operate, various types of due diligence, IP training, risk recognition and management and dispute resolution.
Prior to starting this practice, Jason was IP Director for Thermo Fisher Scientific, where he managed worldwide IP needs in genetic sciences instrumentation and software (e.g., qPCR, dPCR, capillary electrophoresis). Jason managed large IP portfolios, a team of agents and attorneys, licensing programs, various diligence needs, various IP-related transactions and foreign and domestics patent challenges.
Before moving into the legal industry, Jason was a research engineer for a leading food product company, where he led numerous product and process redesigns, reformulations and launches. This cross-functional role required interaction and experience with operations, finance, marketing and regulatory areas, contributing to Jason's ability to deal with various corporate functions from both an R&D and legal perspective.
- BS, Chemical Engineering, with honors, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2000
- JD, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2006
- California State Bar
- Illinois State Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Attorney
- Co-author, "Initial Observations Regarding the USPTO's Patents 4 Partnerships Pilot Program," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Volume 33, No. 3, March 2021
- Co-author, "Qualifying for the USPTO's COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program," IP & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 33 No. 2, February 2021
- Contributor, "Digital Health 2021," International Comparative Legal Guides (ICLG), January 3, 2021
- Speaker, "The Business of Alt Protein: Intellectual Property for Alternative Protein Companies," Good Food Institute (GFI) webinar, June 16, 2021.
- Speaker, "Digital Health Innovations – What They Are, How to Protect Them, and Commercialization Strategies," Weill Digital Health Series webinar, March 12, 2021.
- Contributor, "Navigating Legal Issues in Emerging Technologies in Healthcare & Life Sciences," UCSF Rosenman Institute Expert Consults, January 19, 2021.
- Speaker, "Telehealth and Other Advancements in Healthcare Technology Spurred by COVID-19," DahShu Online Seminar, November 13, 2020.
- Speaker, "IP Diligence Considerations," Idea-to-IPO webinar, September 17, 2020.
- Speaker, "How to Protect Your Intellectual Property," Idea-to-IPO webinar, June 30, 2020.
- Speaker, "Regulatory/Legal Challenges," 3DHEALS 2020, June 6, 2020.
- Speaker, "Everything You Need to Know About Digital Health," Cedars-Sinai Accelerator, November 2019.
- "HITLAB World Cup Challenge," May 2019.
- "Life Sciences Bootcamp for In-House Counsel," July 2019.
- "IP Protection Strategies for Personalized/Precision Medicine," BIOCOM, November 2018 (San Francisco).
- "Intellectual Property 101", Good Food Institute, September 2018.
- "LES SVC: How to Run a Patent Prosecution Practice to Maximize Global Revenue from Licensing: A Perspective from Three Industries", Licensing Executives Society, October 2017.
- Member of the Bay Area IP Advisory Board for Chicago-Kent College of Law
February 28, 2022
February 22, 2022
Publication | March 29, 2023
Publication | July 11, 2022
Blog | March 08, 2022