Related services and key industries
Evelyn Li’s practice focuses on special situations, mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and general corporate and commercial matters. She has acted for public and private companies in public offerings, private placement financings, purchase and sale transactions (including by way of a take-over bid and plan of arrangement) and corporate reorganizations. Ms. Li also regularly advises both junior and senior issuers in corporate governance and ongoing compliance matters, including working with special committees on proxy contests. Her experience includes working with clients in a wide range of industries, including the financial services, mining and resources and telecommunications industries.
Ms. Li joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2004 and she also articled with us in 2005-2006. In 2011, Ms. Li was seconded as counsel to Royal Bank of Canada where she gained valuable experience working with its public company and corporate services group.
LL.B., Queen's University, 2005
B.Com., University of British Columbia, 1999
- Ontario 2006
Ms. Li acted recently for the following clients:
- TransAlta Renewables Inc. in the internal reorganization and C$260 million senior bonds financing secured by wind farm assets in New Brunswick of its indirect majority-owned subsidiary, Kent Hills Wind LP
- TransAlta Corporation in the internal reorganization and C$206 million senior secured floating rate bonds financing of its indirect wholly owned subsidiary, TAPC Holdings LP
- TransAlta Renewables Inc. in the internal reorganization and C$159 million senior amortizing bonds financing of its indirect wholly owned subsidiary, New Richmond Wind L.P.
- TransAlta Renewables Inc. in the internal reorganization and C$442 million senior secured bond financing of its indirect wholly owned subsidiary, Melancthon Wolfe Wind LP
- A global pharmaceutical client in connection with the global internal reorganization of its consumer healthcare business in Canada
- Smoothwater Capital Corporation with its acquisition of Equity Financial Holdings Inc. (since renamed Haventree Bank) and its OSFI-regulated mortgage lending business
- Ninepoint Financial Group Inc. in its management-led buyout of the Canadian diversified asset business of Sprott Asset Management LP and certain accounts managed by Sprott Private Wealth LP
- Icahn Enterprises LLP in connection with its US$340 million acquisition of the US automotive aftermarket product distribution business of TSX‑listed Uni‑Select Inc.
- Special committee of KEYreit in connection with its defence against a hostile takeover bid by Huntingdon Capital Corp.
- Telus Corporation in connection with its shareholder dispute with a hedge fund
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Young Women in Law