Partner, Patent Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alexandre Daoust handles all facets of managing patent and industrial design portfolios, with particular emphasis on designing international patent protection strategies, drafting applications and negotiating with patent examiners. He prepares infringement, validity and freedom-to-operate opinions and acts as an advisor in patent litigation and in transactions involving patents.
Mr. Daoust is an engineering physicist who joined our Québec office in 2004. He has advanced technical knowledge in optics-photonics, quantum physics, aerospace, aluminum and energy. He also has broad experience in a number of other areas, such as information and communication technologies, nanotechnologies, automated processes, mines, devices and processes in the industrial, agri-food, construction and wood processing sectors as well as medical devices.
Mr. Daoust is pragmatic and focuses on business objectives. He has a strong sense of client service and excels at combining complex concepts in order to devise made-to-measure solutions.
- B.Eng., Engineering Physics, Laval University, 2003
- Canada (patents) 2007
- United States (patents) 2008
- "La révolution annoncée du monde des affaires par l'intelligence artificielle : où en sommes-nous?" Vision 2018, Quebec City, May 2, 2018.
- "TQT Lunch & Learn: A Case Study in Patent Development," presentation delivered as part of the Transformative Quantum Technologies program, University of Waterloo, April 12, 2018.
- "L'Abécédaire des recherches en brevets," National Optics Institute, Quebec City, November 15, 2017.
- "The Intellectual Property of Collaborative Research," Center for Optics, Phoctonics and Lasers, Laval University, November 1, 2017.
- "La gestion du savoir : secret industriel ou brevet?," Vision 2017, Quebec City, April 25, 2017.
- "L'étonnant parcours d'un brevet en optique-photonique," Laval University's Centre d'optique, photonique et laser, Quebec City, May 21, 2015.
- “The Business of Patents,” client presentation, Calgary, November 6, 2014.
- “Suki Enterprises,” intellectual property case study, Canadian Intellectual Property Office, Laval University, November 14, 2012.
- “Tirer profit de la propriété intellectuelle entourant vos innovations vertes,” L’innovation à la conquête du développement durable, 2nd international colloquium of the Institut de développement de produits, Boucherville, QC, June 8, 2010.
- “La propriété intellectuelle dans un contexte d’innovation ouverte,” Institut de développement de produits, Drummondville, QC, December 15, 2009.
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (Quebec order of engineers)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), Inc.
- President of the International Intellectual Property Forum – Quebec