Partner, Patent Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alexandre Daoust helps technology companies and institutions build value from their intangible assets, and navigate the landscape of third-party intellectual property rights.
More specifically, he establishes international intellectual property strategies taking into consideration hardware, software and data-related aspects. He drafts utility and design patent applications, negotiates their scope of protection, and helps develop and manage efficient international portfolios. He writes infringement, validity and freedom-to-operate opinions, and acts as an advisor in litigation and transactions involving patents.
With a background in physics/engineering, and over 18 years of experience, Mr. Daoust leads the patent practice in the Quebec City office. He has advanced technical knowledge in quantum physics, optics-photonics, automation, software technologies, systems making use of trained engines (artificial intelligence) and/or cloud computing capabilities, telematics and aerospace. He is very familiar with sensors, instrumentation and robotics. He has regularly assisted clients in several industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, aluminum, energy, concrete and wood processing.
Mr. Daoust is pragmatic and business-focused. He values client service and excels at proposing accessible, made-to-measure solutions to complex issues.
- B.Eng., Engineering Physics, Laval University, 2003
- Canada (patents) 2007
- United States (patents) 2008
- "La propriété intellectuelle dans un contexte de M & A," Club M & A, Drummondville, QC, October 30, 2019.
- "Contrefaçon de brevet - s'approcher sans se brûler," Licensing Executive Society, March 20, 2019.
- "La révolution annoncée du monde des affaires par l'intelligence artificielle : où en sommes-nous?" Vision 2018, Quebec City, May 2, 2018.
- "TQT Lunch & Learn: A Case Study in Patent Development," presentation delivered as part of the Transformative Quantum Technologies program, University of Waterloo, April 12, 2018.
- "L'Abécédaire des recherches en brevets," National Optics Institute, Quebec City, November 15, 2017.
- "The Intellectual Property of Collaborative Research," Center for Optics, Phoctonics and Lasers, Laval University, November 1, 2017.
- "La gestion du savoir : secret industriel ou brevet?" Vision 2017, Quebec City, April 25, 2017.
- “Suki Enterprises,” intellectual property case study, Canadian Intellectual Property Office, Laval University, November 14, 2012.
- “Tirer profit de la propriété intellectuelle entourant vos innovations vertes,” L’innovation à la conquête du développement durable, 2nd international colloquium of the Institut de développement de produits, Boucherville, QC, June 8, 2010.
- “La propriété intellectuelle dans un contexte d’innovation ouverte,” Institut de développement de produits, Drummondville, QC, December 15, 2009.
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (Quebec order of engineers)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), Inc.
- President of the International Intellectual Property Forum – Quebec