Steven Leitl, QC
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Steven Leitl, QCvCard
Related services and key industries
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Product liability
- Regulation and investigations
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
- Litigation and disputes
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- White-collar crime
- Oil and gas
- Information governance, privacy and cybersecurity
Steve Leitl's practice covers a broad range of commercial litigation matters, with an emphasis on securities, M&A, directors'/officers' liability, class actions and internal investigations.
Mr. Leitl has conducted proceedings in the courts of Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba and Canada (Federal Court) and appeals in the Ontario Court of Appeal and Alberta Court of Appeal. He has conducted various regulatory proceedings before the Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba securities commissions and the Alberta Utilities Commission.
Mr. Leitl is a regular speaker and writer on issues pertaining to securities litigation, insolvency and class actions.
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1986
- Alberta 1997
- Ontario 1988
Mr. Leitl has acted recently for the following clients:
- Multinational energy company in US - Canada cross-border M & A litigation matter
- Corporations and dissenting shareholders in fair value cases
- A special investigator appointed by the board of a public company in an investigation of alleged corporate governance violations
- A foreign state-owned entity regarding a challenge to the jurisdiction of the Ontario courts
- A foreign government in a challenge to a claim based on sovereign immunity (Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick)
- A public company and several directors/officers in defence to parallel US and Canadian securities class actions
- A public company regarding an internal investigation of possible insider trading
- A public company regarding an internal investigation of possible fraud and environmental exposure
- Defendants in various class actions
- Corporations in various oppression and dissenting shareholder fair value proceedings
- Profiled as a leading lawyer in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy, 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2011-2017, 2020-2022: recommended in Litigation - Securities; 2020-2022: Litigation - Corporate Commercial; 2011-2014, 2016: recommended in Litigation - Directors' & Officers' Liability; 2013-2017: recommended in Class Actions
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Litigation - General Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Class Action Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2008-2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Class Action Litigation "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Benchmark Litigation Canada: recognized as a local litigation star in Alberta; Litigation star in Canada in Insolvency, Abritation and Class Action 2012-2015, 2021-2022
- Supporting partner behind the Zenith award winning “Ride for Kids” fundraiser – Lexpert article
- “Case Comment: The Jurisdiction Motion in Bellefontaine v. Purdue Frederick Inc” (co‑author), Class Action, Vol. III, No. 3, 2011.
- Class Action Journal, Federated Press Inc., November 2010.
- “Case Comment: Pro-Sys Consultants Ltd. v. Infineon Technologies AG - The square peg and the round hole,” Commercial Litigation Journal, fall 2008.
- “Alberta’s Class Action Cost Regime” (co-author), paper presented to the Osgoode Hall 4th National Symposium on Class Actions, April 2007.
- “Intersection Between ISDA® Agreements and Recent Bankruptcy Decisions in the U.S. and Canada.”
- “Suspension of Limitation Periods In Class Proceedings: Plaintiffs Beware.”
- “Certification of Class Actions in Alberta.”
- “Certification of Class Actions: The Alberta Perspective” (co-author), Preparing for Class Actions conference, Insight Information Co., 2002.
- 7th Annual Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Course, Federated Press, Calgary, Alberta, April 2011.
- 11th Annual National Forum on Class Actions Litigation, The Canadian Institute, September 2010.
- “Shareholder Rights, Disputes and Remedies,” Insight Conference, 2008.
- “Legal update on Poison Pills in Canada,” Insight Conference, 2008.
- “Managing Class Actions,” Federated Press Conference, 2008.
- Chair, Conference on Securities Litigation, 2006.
- IECA Conference, 2005.
- Insolvency Law, Insight Conference, 2005.
- Podcast Episode 1, Fariness Opinions https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en-ca/knowledge/podcasts/disputed-podcast/2021/q4/episode-1-fairness-opinions
- Norton Rose Fulbright Partnership Committee
- Chair, Norton Rose Fulbright Risk and Audit Committee
- Norton Rose Fulbright Succession Planning Committee
- Norton Rose Fulbright Global Executive Committee Taskforce on Diversity and Inclusion
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of Alberta
- Board of editors, Commercial Litigation
- Board of editors, Class Action, quarterly publication, Federated Press
- Fundraiser, Child and Youth Friendly Calgary and Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Organizer, Norton Rose Fulbright Ride for Kids
May 20, 2022
April 26, 2022
August 24, 2021
Publication | June 24, 2021
Webinar | February 11, 2021
Publication | August 5, 2020
US / Canada: Immunizing the board: What directors of US and Canadian companies should be thinking about now
Webinar | April 15, 2020