Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance disputes
- Fraud and asset recovery
- Corporate and commercial disputes
- Litigation and disputes
- Regulation and investigations
- White-collar crime
- Class actions
- International arbitration
- Sports law
Key industry sectors
James Lockwood is a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer based in London. He focuses on banking and finance, civil fraud and commercial litigation. He also has extensive experience of contentious regulatory and bribery and corruption investigations.
James regularly acts for banks, corporates, funds and asset managers, helping them navigate a wide range of complex, cross-border and contentious matters. He has significant experience defending high-value group action litigations.
James is a Solicitor-Advocate with higher rights of audience in the courts of England and Wales (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings).
Before joining us, James spent nine years at a magic circle firm. He has completed secondments to the in-house litigation and investigation teams of two major international banks.
- M.A., University of Cambridge, 2006
- GDL, BPP Law School, London, 2008
- LPC, College of Law, London, 2009
- Higher Rights of Audience (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings), City, University of London, 2015
- Solicitor qualified in England & Wales
- A global bank - defending two related high profile billion pound and multi-million pound group action fraud claims concerning certain tax-advantaged film finance structures.
- An energy company - defending a freezing injunction and a mass tort claim from hundreds of claimants.
- A private bank - in connection with obligations under a freezing injunction.
- A global bank - defending a complex £30m group action misselling claim regarding certain film and game tax-advantaged structures.
- An airline - on a high-value bribery claim against an aircraft manufacturer.
- A bank - in a multi-million pound close-out dispute under an ISDA Master Agreement.
- A major investment bank - in a contractual dispute with a financial technology company.
- A foreign bank - on enforcement of finance documents in a number of jurisdictions.
- Financial institutions - on various trade finance issues concerning letters of credit.
- A major investment bank - responding to a third party disclosure order in high-profile proceedings.
- A financial institution - successfully responding to an application for Norwich Pharmacal relief and/or pre-action disclosure.
- Acting on contractual disputes - regarding termination of player contracts and image rights agreements.
Rising Star - Civil Fraud (London), The Legal 500 UK, 2022
- "James Lockwood, Counsel, is class act, very responsive and gives practical and commercial advice; clients love him. Sure to be a star of the future"
- "James Lockwood: totally outstanding, and someone you want working on any fraud case you've got. He produces excellent documents, first-rate analysis and legal research, and has a capacity for hard work second to none"
- "James Lockwood is an up and coming superstar"
The Legal 500 UK, 2021
- "James Lockwood is a brilliant team player".
- "James Lockwood drafts documents beautifully and is very bright".
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
Blog | May 09, 2022
Blog | April 01, 2022
Blog | March 11, 2022
Blog | February 18, 2022