Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
James Lockwood is a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer based in London. He focuses on banking, finance and commercial litigation and also has significant experience of complex and high-value cross-border civil fraud, asset tracing and enforcement cases, as well as financial crime and contentious regulatory investigations.
James is a Solicitor-Advocate with higher rights of audience in the courts of England and Wales (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings).
Before joining us, James spent nine years at a magic circle firm. He has been on secondment to the in-house litigation and investigation teams of Barclays Bank and Deutsche Bank.
- University of Cambridge (M.A., 2006)
- BPP Law School, London (GDL, 2008)
- College of Law, London (LPC, 2009)
- City University, London, Higher Rights of Audience (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) 2015
- Solicitor qualified in England & Wales
Recent experience includes advising:
- a major financial institution on high-profile billion pound and multi-million pound group action claims concerning certain tax-advantaged film finance structures.
- an energy company defending a freezing injunction and a mass tort claim from hundreds of claimants.
- a bank in a multi-million pound close-out dispute under an ISDA Master Agreement.
- a foreign bank on enforcement of finance documents in a number of jurisdictions.
- financial institutions on various trade finance issues in connection with letters of credit.
- a major investment bank on a third party disclosure order in high-profile proceedings.
- on a contractual dispute over the termination of a player contract and image rights agreement.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, his experience included advising:
- a syndicate of banks on a successful €40m Commercial Court claim against an Indian manufacturing conglomerate over its obligations under a facility agreement. The claim included defending a €175m counterclaim and subsequent enforcement action in a number of jurisdictions.
- a major investment bank in a US$850m dispute concerning issues arising out of termination of a loan facility and interest rate and inflation swaps.
- a hedge fund in a complex fraud claim involving civil and criminal proceedings in several jurisdictions arising out of the theft of highly valuable confidential information and algorithmic trading strategies. The criminal proceedings led to a successful conviction under the Fraud Act 2006 and the civil proceedings included successful applications for a worldwide freezing injunction, third party disclosure orders, delivery up orders, passport order, summary judgment and committal for contempt of court.
- a major investment bank defending a High Court claim from a former senior executive that included allegations of conspiracy and an application for urgent interim injunctive relief to restrain breach of his equity plans.
- a global inter-dealer broker on various warranty and indemnity claims arising out of a share purchase agreement.
- an individual and his associated companies defending a freezing injunction and proceedings in the High Court by a Portuguese state-related company.
- a successful debt claim against a multinational oil and gas company.
- a foreign bank defending a US$30m contractual claim under guarantees issued in support of two shipbuilding contracts. The case involved related fraud proceedings in China.
- an investment fund defending a claim in the Cayman Islands arising out of the Madoff fraud.
- a major international bank on a global regulatory investigation into its hiring practices and alleged bribery and corruption (including investigations by the DOJ, SEC and enquiries by other regulators).
- a major international bank on its global regulatory investigation into LIBOR misconduct, which culminated in US$2.5bn settlements with a number of UK and US authorities.
- an investment bank on an investigation by Dutch regulators into the sale of interest rate hedging products to a public housing association.
- a bank on the termination of an IT outsourcing agreement.
- a global development institution on an arbitration dispute with an African company. The case involved anti-suit injunctions and applications for committal for contempt of court.
- Member of Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Member of Fraud Lawyers Association
- Member of London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Member of Financial Services Lawyers Association