Our lawyers understand that some of our clients’ most valuable intellectual property assets are not subject to patent, copyright or trademark protections – they are protected under the body of trade secret laws. From proprietary know-how, secret formulas and patterns, to devices and compilations of information, our global team of intellectual property lawyers can advise clients worldwide on how to protect, enforce and exploit their trade secrets and other confidential information, providing strategic advice on safeguards, confidentiality policies and restrictive covenants.
"Well-known firm with a significant network of IP practices." — Chambers Global, 2018
We frequently advise businesses both as claimants and defendants in relation to disputes and potential disputes relating to trade secrets in a number of key sectors. We are skilled at protecting and defending business in legal actions involving trade secrets, including preparing and developing confidentiality agreements and policy manuals for business owners and their employees, negotiating licensing and assignment agreements involving the sharing or joint development of trade secrets and assessing the best types of protection for business information, be it a copyright, trademark, patent or trade secret.
Where legal proceedings must be undertaken, we work closely with our clients to carefully formulate a strategy with the best possible chance of withstanding court scrutiny without overstating the case or appearing to act in restraint of trade – often an issue when a senior employee leaves to work for a competitor. We have handled numerous high-value and highly sensitive and confidential matters worldwide, and we have the global resources to swiftly prepare and obtain prompt court relief, as well as to build an offensive or defensive litigation strategy in jurisdictions across the world.
Our areas of work include
- Advice regarding the exploitation of trade secrets, including controlled disclosure
- Confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements
- Injunctions and seizures of confidential information from unauthorized individuals
- IP audits and cataloguing initiatives
- Noncompetition employee agreements
- Trade secret enforcement
- Trade secret licensing
- Trade secret transactions
Awards and accolades
- Chambers USA, Minnesota: Intellectual Property, Chambers & Partners, 2018
- Chambers USA, Texas: Intellectual Property, Chambers & Partners, 2018
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation: Full Coverage, The Legal 500, 2018
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Trademarks: Litigation, The Legal 500, 2018
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing), The Legal 500, 2018