Life sciences and healthcare
Our life sciences and healthcare team advises some of the most recognizable names in the life sciences and healthcare sector. Our client roster includes pharmaceutical, medical device, biotechnology and food and beverage companies, hospitals and healthcare systems, academic medical centers, retail pharmacies, wholesale distributors, physician groups, health insurers, investors and others.
With the increasing convergence of technology and science, we recognize that the landscape for life sciences and healthcare companies is constantly evolving, with challenges faced by our clients calling for a 360° approach to immediate and long term business strategies. Our sector focus on technology and innovation as well as life sciences and healthcare means we are uniquely placed as legal advisers to help you stay ahead of the latest developments in these sectors―the emerging opportunities as well as the constraints.
We have local knowledge in all clinically and commercially relevant jurisdictions which allows us to help clients identify and manage risk globally as well as assist them in realizing their business expansion goals through our robust transactional practices. We offer an integrated service to our life sciences and healthcare clients across the globe, including the United States, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
- over 150 lawyers in the US focused on the life sciences and healthcare sector
- the only Chambers USA ranked Band 1 firm in healthcare in Texas with eight of our lawyers ranked in Bands 1 and 2
- professionals with scientific and technology backgrounds to address the complex science and technology at the heart of many deals and disputes
- deep industry knowledge and practical understanding
- support at all stages of the product lifecycle from innovation to funding, product development, exploitation, surveillance and enforcement
- strong antitrust and competition team to advise clients on issues around the globe
- guidance on the regulatory framework in the sector and broad experience in government investigations
- disputes lawyers with extensive experience in product liability
Our areas of work include
- product liability/disputes
- regulatory and government investigations
- health technology collaborations
- capital markets
- private equity/venture capital
- joint ventures
- clinical integration initiatives (ACOs)
- intellectual property
- antitrust and competition
- data privacy
- food and beverage
Our recent work
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in its nationwide litigation involving widely-used oral contraceptives. This litigation involved thousands of cases and included a national MDL, as well as state coordinated proceedings in numerous jurisdictions across the country.
- Global medical product manufacturer as its national defense counsel in one of the largest mass torts in the US involving pelvic mesh cases throughout the US and Canada.
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in its global asset divestiture of its diabetes care business with a transaction value of approximately €1.0b.
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in the formation of a joint venture involving protein engineering and disease know-how with a transaction value of approximately US$335m.
- Joint venture of two global pharmaceutical giants in its purchase of late-stage HIV research and development assets for a total transaction value of approximately US$1.45b.
- American pharmaceutical giant on a first-of-its-kind research collaboration with a global American high tech company to develop innovative remote monitoring solutions aimed at transforming how clinicians deliver care to patients suffering from Parkinson's disease.
- Global science and technology innovator in IP due diligence and patent litigation related to acquisitions, licenses, and product clearances with an approximate transaction value of US$13.8b.
- Several hospitals, including the largest non-profit health system in the US, in a nationwide recall of steroid injections in state and federal MDL proceedings. This suit is the first of its kind in the nation - combining an MDL, with bankruptcy of the entity that will not be restructured, and criminal indictments against alleged wrongdoers.
- One of the largest optical retail companies in the country in navigating the regulatory scheme overseen by the Texas Optometry Board in connection with the acquisition by a multinational private equity firm for a reported price of more than US$1b. We successfully guided the client through its Texas expansion plans where the company now has 34 stores.
- Worldwide developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices in a qui tam matter under the False Claims Act in which two former employees allege that the company submitted false claims to federal healthcare programs for various medical devices.
- Academic Medical Center in a high-profile merger with a large non-profit health system with an expected transaction value that could exceed US$1b. This transaction was featured as a lead story by Modern Healthcare magazine on July 14, 2014.
- Nationwide network of leading community-owned health care organizations and physicians in a US$390m acquisition of substantially all of the assets of an alliance of leading academic medical centers. The new combined enterprise is the largest member-owned health care company in the US.
- Global pharmaceutical company as discovery counsel in a multidistrict antitrust litigation that combines eleven proposed class actions alleging a pay-for-delay scheme over a generic version of a stroke prevention drug with a damage claim expected to exceed US$120m.
- American multinational medical device company in its US and European litigation strategy with a university concerning a breach of a license agreement and US patent invalidation actions.
- Largest independent, multi-specialty physician group in the Chicago area in a strategic partnership with private equity firm in a US$250m investment.
Awards and accolades
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 national ranking for healthcare law, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2016
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Healthcare, Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Chambers USA, Nationwide and District of Columbia: Healthcare, Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Chambers USA, Texas: Healthcare (Band 1), Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Healthcare: Life Sciences, The Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Healthcare: Service Providers, The Legal 500, 2016
- LMG Life Sciences Recommended Law Firm, US: Corporate, Euromoney Intuitional Investor PLC, 2016